Lymphosarcoma?

Old September 5th 03, 06:56 AM
Katra

Default Lymphosarcoma?

I don't know if anyone has noted the couple of posts where I have
mentioned Laurel...

About 2 weeks ago, one of my 12 years old kitties was limping on one
back leg. I suspected maybe she had hurt herself jumping off a chair or
some such, so just kept an eye on her.

2 days later, she did not come out for the nightly canned feeding which
is when I do a health check on all the cats. I found her laying under
the dining room table so picked her up and put her in front of the food
pan, and she stumbled off and hid under the futon couch. :-( It looked
like neither of her back legs was working very well.

I took her to the vet the next morning and she was not sure what was
wrong, so took some x-rays to rule out a disk problem. Nothing showed up
so she warned me of a possible spinal tumor.

Laurel spent nearly 2 weeks at the vets. She tried treating her with
Prednisone with limited results. At least I had a a heads up that I
might lose her as not only were the back legs affected, but after a few
days it was obvious that Laurel's bowels were also being affected.

I was going to bring her home today and set up a large crate for her,
but Dr. House called with bad news. Over the last 2 days, Laurel really
took a turn for the worse and had dropped an entire pound in weight over
only 2 days and was beginning to lose the use of her front legs as well...

Dr. House strongly suspected Lymphosarcoma, a cancer in cats that
attacks the spine.

I went there this morning to love on her and say goodbye, and she looked
awful. The look in her hollow eyes said, mommy I'm scared, and I hurt.
We put her down...

Even with as many as I have, I lose a piece of my heart for each one
that passes and since over 2/3 of my babies are over 10 years old, the
next few years are going to be hell...... sigh

Goodbye Laurel! :-(

Katra

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Old September 5th 03, 12:33 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Katra at
wrote on 9/5/03 12:56 AM:

[...]

Oh I'm very very sorry to hear this

Karen

Old September 5th 03, 03:08 PM
Liz

I did a search at Cornell Consultant and got this:

Weakness of one hindlimb, paresis paralysis rear leg

33 Possible Diagnoses o Acute polyradiculoneuritis, idiopathic
polyneuropathy, coonhound paralysis

o Aortic, iliac, femoral thrombosis, embolism, thromboembolism
o Chronic degenerative myelopathy, radiculomyelopathy, in dogs and
cats
o Chronic relapsing polyneuritis, polyneuropathy, in dogs and cats
o Cryptococcosis in dogs and cats- zoonosis
o Disuse atrophy
o Electrical injury, electrocution
o Feline polymyositis-polymyopathy
o Femoral nerve paresis, paralysis
o Fibrotic and ossifying myopathy in horses, dogs, and cats
o Gastrocnemius and digital flexor rupture or avulsion
o Intervertebral disk (disc) disease in dogs and cats
o Ischemic myelopathy, fibrocartilaginous spinal emboli in dogs and
cats
o Lumbosacral plexus trauma, avulsion
o Melioidosis, burkholderia pseudomallei- exotic-zoonosis
o Mycobacterial neuritis in cats (this includes tetanus)
o Nocardiosis in dogs, cats and horses
o Obturator nerve paresis, paralysis
o Organophosphate or carbamate toxicity
o Paraneoplastic polyneuropathy in dogs and cats
o Prostatic neoplasia in dogs and cats, prostate cancer
o Pseudorabies, aujeszky's disease, suid herpesvirus 1 in species
other than pigs
o Rabies- zoonosis
o Sciatic, ischiatic, nerve paresis, paralysis
o Solitary or multiple cartilagenous exostosis, osteochondromatosis in
dogs and cats
o Spinal cysts
o Spinal, vertebral, cord, neoplasia, hamartoma
o Tick paralysis, toxicity- zoonosis
o Toxoplasmosis in cats- zoonosis
o Tuberculosis in dogs and cats, canine, feline mycobacterium
infection- zoonosis
o Vertebral column, spinal cord, malformation
o Vertebral disease, myelodysplasia, of manx cats
o Vertebral, spinal, abscess, granuloma, osteomyelitis, foreign body,
physitis, discospondylitis

Adding the symptoms that appeared later, got this:

Weakness of one hindlimb, paresis paralysis rear leg
Tetraparesis, weakness, paralysis all four limbs
Paraparesis, weakness, paralysis both hind limbs

[...]

A vet looking at this list could rule out many of them because of the
progressiveness of the symptoms. Wish you & your kitty luck!

Old September 5th 03, 03:46 PM

"Linda E" wrote in message .. .
My heart goes out to you........

Linda

Thank you!

K.
Old September 5th 03, 03:46 PM

"Linda E" wrote in message .. .
My heart goes out to you........

Linda

Thank you!

K.
Old September 5th 03, 05:51 PM
KellyH

My heart goes out to you. Whether or not to PTS is always a tough decision,
no matter how bad things are, it's heart-wrenching. Laurel is on the other
side of the bridge, free of pain and waiting to see you again.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net