Did Delta Airlines Kill Family Cat?

Old November 30th 03, 12:23 PM
MaryL

"-L." wrote in message
m...
(Luvskats00) wrote in message

http://www.nbc5.com/travelgetaways/2662716/detail.html
According to NBC5 tv news:

An Oregon family said their cat died because it was not allowed to be

carried
on with their other two felines. Sara Stano said her family chose Delta
Airlines because they assured her their three cats would be allowed as

carry-on
luggage. Instead, Stano said, the family was allowed to carry on only

two cats
and had to check the third one.

Fatal mistake. Over 1000 animals are killed or lost on air flights
each year. Word of advice: drive.

-L.

I have not flown with my cats for a number of years (have been driving
instead of flying for the last few years). However, there were a few
important rules that I strictly adhered to when I did fly because I did not
want to take any risks with my furbabies: (1) only a few airlines will
permit cats in the cabin, and I always made reservations exclusively with
those airlines even though it often cost extra; (2) make reservations well
in advance and get confirmation of reservations for pets *in the cabin*
because airlines will usually only permit 2 small pets in a cabin; (3) have
an up-to-date health certificate and rabies vaccination certificate; (4) try
to get nonstop reservations to avoid risks of problems when changing
flights; (5) call the night before departure to re-confirm and make sure
that your cat is also listed on the confirmation; (6) make sure you are not
given a seat in the first row in the cabin because there is no seat in front
of you; since pets in the cabin are stored under the seat in front, the
first row of seats deprives you of all of the arrangements I just mentioned.
I was "bumped" on one occasion, despite all of these precautions. I refused
to take the next available flight because they wanted to put my cat in
cargo; I had to wait several additional hours so I could carry my cat on
board in the cabin, but it was well worth it. Once I changed to driving
only, my sense of relief was palpable because I did not have to worry about
airline restrictions.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old November 30th 03, 03:19 PM
MaryL

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
writes

[...]

Yet, in spite of all the precautions, you could be bumped in one second

and
your cat's life is in jeopardy. It's up to the traveller to have the

saavy and
backbone to refuse anything less than what's promised - in terms of

allowing
the cat in the cabin. If an incompetent employee slipped up and booked

more
than the allowable amount..string that employee up..not punish the

traveller!

Yes, I was bumped; but no, my cat's life could not be jeopardized. That was
part of the point of my message. I would not fly with my cat unless she
could accompany me in the cabin. Therefore, I refused to take the next
available flight when I was bumped because the airline would not permit the
cat in the cabin on that flight. Instead, I waited several more hours for a
flight where she could travel in the cabin with me. It was an inconvenience
for me, but nothing else -- my cat was not in jeopardy because she was with
me at all times.

MaryL

Old November 30th 03, 06:24 PM

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

Yes, I was bumped; but no, my cat's life could not be jeopardized. That was
part of the point of my message. I would not fly with my cat unless she
could accompany me in the cabin. Therefore, I refused to take the next
available flight when I was bumped because the airline would not permit the
cat in the cabin on that flight. Instead, I waited several more hours for a
flight where she could travel in the cabin with me. It was an inconvenience
for me, but nothing else -- my cat was not in jeopardy because she was with
me at all times.

Also a last minute addition to the cargo hold of a plane that had no
other pets booked could increase the odds that cargo heat is not on
the crews pre-flight check list.

You did the right thing, and those who are inclined to send their pets
in cargo should be very wary of last minute flight changes for any
reason.

-mhd

Old November 30th 03, 11:36 PM
Kuisse0002

These discussions have been so helpful to readers like myself when the time
comes for me to fly her.

If you think about it - where else can you get such information? No airline is
going to give you a checklist to safeguard your pet.