Stray kitten - feed or ignore?

Old June 30th 04, 05:03 AM
Tracy

Sharon Talbert wrote in message . washington.edu...

Shy or feral "strays" rarely see the adoption room. Institutional
shelters may keep the animal for a few days (depending on local laws) and
then euthanize. "No-Kill" shelters simply won't take them.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus (feral) Cats

It depends on the no-kill shelter. If it's a kitten, as this one is,
some no-kill shelters will take them. Some won't, of course :

Old June 30th 04, 10:06 PM
Sharon Talbert

It depends on the no-kill shelter. If it's a kitten, as this one is,
some no-kill shelters will take them. Some won't, of course :

It is true that some nonprofit shelters (I really don't like the term
non-kill, which is undefined at best and misleading at worst) will take
underage kittens or unsocialized small kittens into foster care if they
have such a program. Some conventional (city and county) shelters will
take such kittens into foster care for that matter, City of Seattle among
them. I seem to recall the kitten in question was at least a juvenile,
though. The nonprofits won't take an older kitten because they have a
choice, and the conventional shelters take them because they must and then
euthanize.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Old July 2nd 04, 08:20 PM
Sharon Talbert

But some rescuers will take them home to be indoor ferals. It's quit the one
way street where the rescuer provides shelter, food, medical care, and a
long comfortable life free from want and harm, in exchange for hissing,
growling, aloofness, and a total lack of anything even vaugely resembling
gratitude.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Ron, if you are suggesting that I take home feral kittens, I've not only
tried it, I've modeled my life around it!

In my message, I was responding to a suggestion that a feral kitten be
taken to a shelter. The point of my message was that an unsocialized cat
or kitten is not a likely candidate for a shelter. The city/county
shelters accept them and euthanize, while the nonprofits (so-called
"no-kills") simply won't take them.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus (feral) Cats
Seattle
Old July 2nd 04, 08:20 PM
Sharon Talbert

[...]

Another kitten question (sorry) Priscilla Ballou Cat health & behaviour 3 November 12th 04 01:39 PM
Kitten, Fleas, Ear Mites....or both!?! Gary Cat health & behaviour 20 October 29th 04 09:46 PM
Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM
Flea Dip for 7-week-old kitten Sandra Loosemore Cat health & behaviour 29 July 30th 03 05:12 AM