Purrs Please

Old August 1st 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Default UPDATE: Bush Baby (was Purrs Please)

On Aug 1, 2:17 pm, "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
wrote:
On Aug 1, 9:04 am, "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
wrote:

One of my little semi-ferals is seeing TED today. She went off her
regular food a day or so ago, but was eating beef baby food. Today
she wouldn't eat even that.

Bush Baby is a little over a year old, and she's no bigger than a 6
month old kitten. This came on really fast, and I'm hoping it's
nothing more than just a little sick, but I dread what it could be.
She doesn't weigh 2 pounds, but she's just a teeniny cat. She's
spayed (part of the TNR program out here), and she's so sweet. I
called the clinic that spayed her, and she was given her shots (that
was back in February or March), so I'm hoping that she can be saved,
or at the very least not allowed to suffer any more than she already
has.

She didn't like hoomins last year, when she was only 3 or 4 months
old, but she's come to trust me and DH, and anyone we are talking to.
I can't believe I managed to get so attached to a cat that doesn't
seem to care for people, and *hates* the inside.

I should have gotten her picture before, I have a horrible feeling but
then I always do before a TED visit, even check ups for the inside
cats.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Well, the vet called... Her leukemia test came back negative (YAY!).
When they were doing an exam on her, the vet thought she might have a
cold, til I told her that was just beef baby food we'd tried to rub on
her mouth to get her to eat.

Then the vet opened her mouth... Yeegads, how can such a teeniny
kitty (2.8 pounds) have such horrendous breath? TED said she is
smaller than a 'healthy' 6 month old kitten, but otherwise she is
pretty dang healthy... So... It's like this... A tooth growing in
crooked, never kicked out the baby tooth, created ONE abscess. A huge
mass of foxtail stickers, in the roof of her mouth (hard palate?)
created another abscess.

So, she had a couple of teeth pulled, the foxtail mass removed (vet
said it was in excess of 10). I guess while we were out of town, Bush
Baby wasn't letting my Mother-in-law give her skritches and remove the
foxtails in her fur. I just did it as I was petting her. Poor little
baby... I never would have thought to look into her mouth.

Guess my dream the other night was prophetic (I was dreaming that
someone was trying to hurt the strays and ferals, and I kept getting
them and bringing them back to my house to protect them - never ending
job, that). So, I can go and get her in a couple of hours, and dose
her baby food for a while (however long the doc says).

Smokie Darling (Annie) - not sure what it cost, but I don't care. My
little Bush Baby is alright, and that is all that matters to me.

I opened this thread only after you had posted the good news. I am so
happy for you that your little buddy is going to be ok.

--
Will in New Haven
Old August 1st 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 1, 3:45*pm, "Adrian" wrote:
Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
On Aug 1, 3:29 pm, "Adrian" wrote:
Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

snip

Smokie Darling (Annie) - not sure what it cost, but I don't care. My
little Bush Baby is alright, and that is all that matters to me.

So glad it was nothing serious, purrs until she's completely better.
Cats leave pawprints on your
hearthttp://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk

She is currently scarfing down her baby food with her medicine (only
1/2 a dropperful, when the others get a full one). *Soon as she's
finished, I will fix her up a bed in the attached shed, inside the
carrier, she seems to like that. *She'll have water, some dry food, a
way to get to the potties.

We tried to set her up in the bathroom, or the second bedroom, but she
definitely does not like the "in". *She wants to be out, and the vet
said that would be alright, if she had a 'safe place', which would be
the carrier (the other outsiders don't like the carrier). *So far, so
good, eh?

SD (Annie)

Shadow didn't like "in" for the first five years I knew him, now he hardly
goes out unless I do, then he follows me to see where I'm going.

Smokie hollers like I'm killing her if I even open the door with her
in my arms. You'd think I was abusing the little snot. Actually, all
but two the insiders howl when I take them into the big out.

Never saw a cat climb my walls though (that would be BushBaby). So,
she's lying in the grass now, in the shade of the morning glories, and
watching me very, very closely.

Smokie Darling (Annie)
Old August 1st 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 1, 3:38*pm, "Jofirey" wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in ...
[...]

It's on reason we really try to get our two in for bedtime every
night. *Gives us a chance to do a quick health check, even when we
have forgotten that is what we are doing.

That's what I do when I give her the skritches, find the stickers (and
the occasional goat head), and pull them out before they get embedded
and start to fester.

I hope she is recovered quickly. *It had to be miserable for her.
Love that you call her Bush Baby.

I wish I had gotten photos of her when she really was a baby, you'd
understand why I called her that (and why her younger brother, by 3
months is called Mere-mere - like a Merekat).

Smokie Darling (Annie)
Old August 2nd 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

Default Purrs Please

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:04:38 -0700 (PDT), "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
wrote:

[...]

Oh, I certainly hope it's nothing serious. A diagnosis of a bad
hairball, making her nauseous, would be nice.

Purrs are on the way for your tiny little Bush Baby.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein
Old August 2nd 08, 08:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
One of my little semi-ferals is seeing TED today. She went off her
regular food a day or so ago, but was eating beef baby food. Today
she wouldn't eat even that.

Many purrs on the way for you both.

She didn't like hoomins last year, when she was only 3 or 4 months
old, but she's come to trust me and DH, and anyone we are talking to.
I can't believe I managed to get so attached to a cat that doesn't
seem to care for people, and *hates* the inside.

Nikki was like that the first... oh, five-ten years with me. But she
gradually mellowed until she became quite the lapcat in her twilight
years. The only people she ever really accepted were me and my mum.

Old August 2nd 08, 08:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

Smokie Darling (Annie) - not sure what it cost, but I don't care. My
little Bush Baby is alright, and that is all that matters to me.

I'm so glad it was something that could be fixed, but poor baby. She
must have been in a lot of pain. Purrs for her recovery.

Old August 2nd 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Aug 1, 10:13�am, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
I should have gotten her picture before, I have a horrible feeling but
then I always do before a TED visit, even check ups for the inside
cats.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

We're sending purrs for thepoor little girl. Thanks for looking after her..

Dan

===================
Big purrs for the tiny one.
Suz&Spicey
Old August 2nd 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

wrote:
[...]

Too late for pre-visit purrs, but purrs on the way for a quick recovery.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old August 3rd 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`[_2_]

Purrs lovingly sent from our home to yours for Bush Baby to be okay
Hug
Kyla and Clowder
"Gandalf"

Old August 3rd 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Default UPDATE to the update: UPDATE: Bush Baby (was Purrs Please)

On Aug 1, 12:17*pm, "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
wrote:

[...]

You know, for such a small thing.... We hates Clavamox (the
antibiotic). absolutely hates it, nasty, nasty Clavamoxies is (I'm
thinking of renaming her to Gollum). She is tiny, but she is pretty
darn strong too.

So, we give her 1Ml of chicken broth (in a dropper). Then we give her
the .5 Ml of Clavamox. Then we give her more broth.

Then we get chicken baby food, mixed with warm water. She'll eat
about 3/4 to 1 teaspoon (or rather a US coffee spoon). Then we do
more chicken broth in the dropper, then water, then chicken broth.

She's feeling well enough now to try (notice I said try) and get away
when I try to give her *anything* in a dropper. Hmmm, I suppose
that's a good sign. She perks up after the liquid infusion. Doesn't
seem to want to drink water when I'm watching, which is why I'm giving
her droppers full of water.

Nowhere near 100%, but all things considered BushBaby/Gollum is doing
better. I'm actually happy to see her 'disagreeing' with me on the
water and chicken broth. Whodathunkit?

Smokie Darling (Annie) - and her lets the female hoomin get a wet wash
cloth, and wash her little chin when her is done eatin's.