Breaking news: Update on Buffy the Garage Cat

Old August 3rd 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Breaking news: Update on Buffy the Garage Cat

Gandalf wrote:

He might've gotten lost. There could be a sad human out there wondering
what happened to their sweet boy.

I have tried every avenue I can think of, and I've ever read about, to
find his humans. I even went to the big downtown library, and went
through 5 MONTHS of classified ads.

In the past (before the Internet) that would have been an almost certain
way of finding his people. (if they cared enough to spend the money on a
newspaper classified; they are somewhat expensive...) No listing for a
lost cat matched him. I called on two cats who were described as 'orange
tabby', since he does have some stripes on his tail, but when I talked
to the people, it was obviously not Buffy Boy :-(

I suppose it's possible that he was dumped. But if he was as well-loved
as he seems to have been, how could they just turn around and do that to
him?

Well, it's the small fan that normally sits by my desk, as the air
conditioning in the building I work in isn't very good.

It's the same thing where I work. And I'm very sensitive to heat, so
when it starts to get warm in my office, I have to use the little fan.
At least your company provided you with your desk fan - I had to buy
my own. On the other hand, at least they pay me well enough so that I
could afford to!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 3rd 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On 03 Aug 2008 00:52:43 GMT, wrote:

Gandalf wrote:

[...]

I basically got the fan by guile. My boss wanted a fan for his office,
and he wanted me to place the order and 'hide' it in a large order.

I refused, since *I* would be the one to get in trouble.

So I made *him* place the order, *and* order a fan for me, as well.

They weren't expensive, maybe $7/ea. It's the policy of getting things
for 'personal use'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old August 3rd 08, 11:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Gandalf wrote:

At least your company provided you with your desk fan - I had to buy
my own. On the other hand, at least they pay me well enough so that I
could afford to!

I basically got the fan by guile. My boss wanted a fan for his office,
and he wanted me to place the order and 'hide' it in a large order.

I refused, since *I* would be the one to get in trouble.

So I made *him* place the order, *and* order a fan for me, as well.

They weren't expensive, maybe $7/ea. It's the policy of getting things
for 'personal use'.

God. I thought my employer was cheap!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 4th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Gandalf wrote:
I am so STUPID!

I have been keeping Buffy in a small cage, and carefully letting him out
to use the litter box, as often as I can. Buffy's been VERY unhappy in
there, but I was afraid Buffy would escape, and I would have a very hard
time (again) making a capture.

So, very late tonight, I came up with the idea of using a harness and
leash! DUH!!

How come nobody in the group who is more experienced and smarter than I
am, suggested this to me before???

So I made a harness for Buffy.

Then I realized that a normal leash of light rope could easily be chewed
through by a cat who has a lot of free time. And is not all that happy
about being tied up.

So, I made a 'leash' out of #12 insulated copper wire. It's not my first
choice, because it's pretty stiff, but it's what I had at 2:30 AM in the
morning. And I don't have much of a budget.

So now Buffy has some room to move around. The litter box is within easy
reach, a rough board for claw sharpening and stretching, a double layer
of nice soft carpet to sleep on, and of course food and water. Beats
starving on the street! And soon, Buffy will be moving into a good sized
walk in closet; about 4 feet by 8 feet, ( 1.2 x 2.5 meters) WITH a
window, and a ledge to sit on.

Buffy loves being out of the cage. Just wants to stay wrapped around me,
or lay down for belly rubs. TOTAL sweetheart!

Then I decided to clip Buffy's claws, since I've been scratched a few
times.

There's not enough light in my garage, so I brought out my desk lamp, so
I could see what I was doing.

HELLO!!!!! Buffy isn't a girl kitty: HE is a neutered male!

I just didn't get a good enough look at HIM, before I put HIM in his
kitty prison!

How stupid can I possibly get?

So I haven't decided whether to change his name, or call him 'Buffy
Boy'.

Buffy Boy sounds kind of stupid, but HE responded to Buffy right
away.....

I'm open to suggestions. Really. Help me out here.

He really should have a manly name. Like Caliban. (One of my very
favorite male cat names, BTW).

I still CAN'T BELIVEVE I made that mistake. The rescue people are going
to thing I'm an IDIOT, or worse. But then: he IS neutered..., and that's
a GOOD thing; it will save on the vet bill. Plus, now there is
absolutely NO DOUBT that he's been somebody's pet.

Somebody's DUMPED pet :-(

So: should HE get a new name? I am leaning in that direction.

He is SUCH a love bug. He just want's to be petted, and scritched. And
he LOVES tummy rubs.

OK, so I'm stupid.

But he is the fourth cat I have rescued, including the beautiful all
black, long hair girl kitty that I stole from a research facility, in
the middle of the night. (The statute of limitations has run out on that
crime, long ago). I found homes myself for the other 3 cats, even though
only 1 was altered.

So, despite my stupidity, things continue to improve for Buffy Boy. And
I almost forgot: I got a small fan to help keep Buffy Boy cool. I sort
of 'borrowed' it from work. I'm going to use it to help provide fresh
air while he is in his closet, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

You're not stupid; I bet you'd be amazed how many of us have done that,
myself included. I still can't tell what gender my visitor is because
s/he won't let me look at his/her butt well enough, and there's a *lot*
of fluffy fur.

Hey, I have a male Merlyn. I said I would name my next male cat Merlin,
Bast having decided that this humble slave needed many, many boycats in
a row, but She threw me a curve and sent me a girlcat. And she meowed
at Merlin. So a letter change to make it more feminine and voila!

Maybe you could just change it to "Biffy" -- lol

Ginger-lyn
Old August 6th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Gandalf wrote:
[...]

snip

You are not stupid, you are doing your very best for Buffy!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek