Persia Update 2/24/2010

Old February 24th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Persia Update 2/24/2010

I completely forgot the vet is only open until Noon on Wednesdays. So I
can't go see her this afternoon. But I talked to the vet who is there doing
paperwork. She told me Persia is eating more. They were feeding her by
syringe but now she's taken some food on her own and is keeping it down.
And she's still talking to everyone who walks by.

She might be able to come home tomorrow! No promises, of course, but the
vet sounded very upbeat. It would be so great to have her home! This house
is so empty without her. I break down and cry when I see her toys in the
living room and no Persia to play with them.

I asked the vet about the transdermal method of medicating that Chris H
mentioned. She said yes, she thought of it after we talked yesterday. She
has another patient who gets meds administered that way and she's going to
ask about it when she calls about the compounding. She agrees it's a much
simpler and very effective way to administer medication. No chance Persia
will spit out a pill or throw up the liquid. But she also has my budget in
mind. It's a good thing Persia has her own credit card (Actually, I
have money set aside in an account just for her. I remember all too well
when my little dog Sampson got older how much it cost to take care of him.)

Jill

Old February 24th 10, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I'm so glad Persia is improving and you'll get her back soon, hopefully.
I too, put money away in an account that is just for vet bills, for Boyfie
or the chickens.
It's instead of buying pet insurance, I put away the same amount each month
as it would cost me if I had a policy and Boyfie has a sizable amount in his
account now which will be used for him as he gets older and will obviously
need more vet care. You can't get cover for chickens!
I've done this for years, it's always covered everything, including KFC's
care, and it saves arguing with the insurance company whether or not
something is covered.
You do need to start this fund when your animal is young, though.
Tweed

Old February 24th 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep[_3_]

On Feb 24, 1:27*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Weebs is still purring that His Precious Persia gets better!!!
Old February 24th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debby Hanoka[_2_]

[...]

Purrs and prayers for Persia's speedy and full recovery.

My cat Lilith would like to know if Ms. Persia needs a Caretaking
Kitty from the Catmerica Volunteer Nurses Corps to teleport over and
take care of her.

Debby Hanoka
Old February 24th 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Feb 24, 10:27*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Awwww, its so hard to see them like that, or to have the house so
empty.

Don't worry it sounds like she's on the mend, which is really great.

continued purrs from Mischief, Mayhem and Imp and me

Kristi
Old February 24th 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 24, 11:07*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
*You can't get cover for chickens!

Why not?

I've done this for years, it's always covered everything, including KFC's
care, and it saves arguing with the insurance company whether or not
something is covered.

Back before I earned enough money to get by on- we had 2 credit cards
kept in an envelope with "Emergency only" on the outside- this was NOT
to be used for routine stuff like check up's etc but we kept them for
the cats and had about 2K credit so we could pay up front and worry
later about paying for it- I really didn't want to be arguing about
payment before ..only used them once when Fugazi crossed the Bridge a
situation when I really did not to be arguing about payment I don't
now keep a seperate account for the cats- But I just put money in my
ISA and have done every month for a while now that covers the
potential vet costs and a little extra if it doesn't get used- usual
rules apply I budget for routine expenses like check ups/spaying but
have spare cash for emergencies

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old February 25th 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message

I asked the vet about the transdermal method of medicating that Chris H
mentioned. She said yes, she thought of it after we talked yesterday.
She has another patient who gets meds administered that way and she's
going to ask about it when she calls about the compounding. She agrees
it's a much simpler and very effective way to administer medication. No
chance Persia will spit out a pill or throw up the liquid. But she also
has my budget in mind. It's a good thing Persia has her own credit card
(Actually, I have money set aside in an account just for her. I
remember all too well when my little dog Sampson got older how much it
cost to take care of him.)

Jill

My sister has had two cats with hyperthyroidism (one that died a couple of
years ago at the age of 19 and the other that has recently been diagnosed).
I asked her about medication and cost for you. She is able to get the
medication compounded for about $30.00-$35.00 per month. However, she has
found that she can get pills at a more reasonable price. Interestingly,
Drs. Foster and Smith seem to have the best price. They carry 100 pills
(5mg) for $39.00. Some people have been successful in crushing the pills
and mixing them into wet food, but you would have to experiment with that.
Drs. Foster and Smith also carry gel in syringes. If I understood correctly
during our phone conversation, 10 syringes have 25mg, so that would be 5
doses per syringe--about $60.00 for that amount. Of course, the total
monthly cost would also depend on the amount that is prescribed. You
probably already know this, but you will need a prescription for whatever
source you use.

I hope Persia is doing much better. Your latest message sound like there
has been improvement.

MaryL

Old February 25th 10, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

I'm glad to hear she's doing so well. I hope she does get to come home
tomorrow.

--

Joy

Basically everything is subject to change without notice

Old February 25th 10, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

I completely forgot the vet is only open until Noon on Wednesdays. So I
can't go see her this afternoon. But I talked to the vet who is there doing
paperwork. She told me Persia is eating more. They were feeding her by
syringe but now she's taken some food on her own and is keeping it down.
And she's still talking to everyone who walks by.

I'm really glad to hear that she's improving! Purrs continuing so that
she bounces back quickly.

Joyce

--
"Bacteria, with a few more bells and whistles."
-- Bonnie Bassler, describing human beings
Old February 25th 10, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lucys Mom[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Still purring and keeping fingers and paws crossed......

--Eric, Kim and the CRC

Persia Update 2/23/2010 jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 23 February 25th 10 01:41 AM
Persia Update - Keep Purring, Please jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 13 February 22nd 10 01:53 PM
Persia Update jmcquown Cat anecdotes 3 June 27th 04 09:33 PM
Update on Persia :) jmcquown Cat anecdotes 34 April 14th 04 10:20 PM