cats urinating on bed

Old September 18th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
janet hodson

Default cats urinating on bed

i have a 2 cats a 3 year neutered male and 4 year old spayed female cat.
there were a few times if i would go on vacation my cat may urinate on the
bed which i assumed was her way of letting me know she wasn't happy with me.
within the last few weeks it has been happening on at least 4 times a
week.the problem may be the male which is actually my daughter's cat that
lives downstairs but when my daughter works or goes out of tow nwhich is
every weekend he comes upstairs. does anyone have this problem.

Old September 18th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 18 Sep, 02:59, "janet hodson" wrote:
i have a 2 cats a 3 year neutered male and 4 year old spayed female cat.
there were a few times if i would go on vacation my cat may urinate on the
bed which i assumed was her way of letting me know she wasn't happy with me.
within the last few weeks it has been happening on at least 4 times a
week.the problem may be the male which is actually my daughter's cat that
lives downstairs but when my daughter works or goes out of tow nwhich is
every weekend he comes upstairs. does anyone have this problem.

It sounds like one of your cats has a UTI sweetie. You mention that
*she* has done this before now? then, he-? If you are sure that it is
her, rather than him, then it is obviously not marking of territory by
your male. This leaves two possibilities.
1: Urinary tract Infection, or,
2:behavioural.
If it is your daughters cat ( the male), then it might well be
behavioural. It might be his way of saying why are you leaving me at
home.
Either way, the sooner you get them to the vet, the sooner you will
have the answer to your problem. Normally a cat would not choose to go
to the loo on your bed, which makes me inclined to think that
whichever cat has this problem, has got a UTI infection,. The reason
for this is because the cat seems to relate going on your bed to be
less painful than the experience of using their litter box.

The advice to shut your bedroom door & any other doors where she is
likely to mess, so that you have less problems to come home to. Try
making them both a nice comfortable bed in the kitchen for them both,
& see how that goes? It makes you less stressful & also less resentful
towards your cat for the work she is making for you. One thing you
didn't mention- is she messing on your bed too, or is she simply
urinating?
K.

Old September 18th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

"Adam Helberg" wrote:

"janet hodson" wrote in message
i have a 2 cats a 3 year neutered male and 4 year old spayed female cat.
there were a few times if i would go on vacation my cat may urinate on the
bed which i assumed was her way of letting me know she wasn't happy with me.
within the last few weeks it has been happening on at least 4 times a
week.the problem may be the male which is actually my daughter's cat that
lives downstairs but when my daughter works or goes out of tow nwhich is
every weekend he comes upstairs. does anyone have this problem.

Assuming the cat has no physical reason for soiling outside the box, it's not clear
from what you wrote exactly what the issues are. In any case you can prevent it by
not letting the cats into the bedroom when you're away, simply by closing the bedroom
door.

I had the same situation, tried the same solution. Honest to God, the
cat learned to turn the doorknob to get in and **** on the bed. I had
to install an exterior lockset and lock the door from the outside.

I never actually saw him do it, but one day I heard the door open and
caught him running down the hall.