hyperthyroidism

Old October 17th 14, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

Default hyperthyroidism

Pit2nya has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
I had her in for a blood and urine test, thinking possible
diabetes,
because she seemed to have been passing more urine...
litter box clumping litter showing more and larger clumps.
The good news is no diabetes. The bad news hyperthyroidism
in my laid-back sleeps-a-lot cat! Who Knew? Good thing
I brought her in for testing. She had her yearly physical a month
ago, but no lab tests at that time seemed necessary to our vet.

I'm hoping the pills are small one only once a day.
Does anyone here have a cat with the same?
Any helpful info?

Thanks In Advance,

Sylvia

Old October 17th 14, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 10/16/2014 7:59 PM, Sylvia M wrote:

I'm hoping the pills are small one only once a day.
Does anyone here have a cat with the same?
Any helpful info?

I've had a couple of cats with the fairly-common issue. Wally, the cat
I'm temporarily housing while the owner gets back on her feet, has the
condition. The owner never could afford the medicine.

She's been on the Tapazole for a couple months. Three weeks ago, when
she had a followup appointment to check the dosage, she'd gained six
ounces: from 6 pounds 12 ounces to 7 pounds 2 ounces. Still skinny, but
a lot better looking.

The Tapazole is a squishy chicken-flavored "pill". I give half twice a
day. I just pull the thing in half, put it down in front of her, and
she thinks it's a treat. Other than being about a buck a pill, it's not
a bit deal and has brought her thyroid readings down to the normal range.

Art

Old October 17th 14, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
Pit2nya has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
I had her in for a blood and urine test, thinking possible diabetes,
because she seemed to have been passing more urine...
litter box clumping litter showing more and larger clumps.
The good news is no diabetes. The bad news hyperthyroidism
in my laid-back sleeps-a-lot cat! Who Knew? Good thing
I brought her in for testing. She had her yearly physical a month ago,
but no lab tests at that time seemed necessary to our vet.

I'm hoping the pills are small one only once a day.
Does anyone here have a cat with the same?
Any helpful info?

Thanks In Advance,

Sylvia

I don't, but my friend Simon has. His cat was diagnosed about a year ago and
the pills seem to be working fine. Neither Simon or his wife are
experienced cat handlers so they crush the pills up and hide them in a bit
of premium type cat food i.e. the very expensive yummy stuff that he never
gets except when his pills are in it - he thinks it's a real treat ;-)
This might work for Pit2nya.

I know I can't pill Boyfie, I've tried before which is why he had to stay in
hospital for so long after his dreadful accident and subsequent operation.
He is so scared at the vet's that he does flatcat on the table and it's so
easy for them to pop a pill into his mouth - but not so at home.

ISTR that in the USA you can get pills for cats diluted into tuna water,
gravy, etc by a pharmacist. We don't seem to have that here in the UK.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Tweed

Old October 17th 14, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 10/17/2014 8:39 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
"Sylvia M" wrote in message
[...]

I've never heard of that. If I could have gotten pills in tuna water
for Waffles, I might have been able to keep him around longer. He loved
tuna water, but hated the pills so much that he became afraid of me, and
was miserable all the time.

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old October 18th 14, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Pit2nya has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. [...]
I'm hoping the pills are small one only once a day.
Does anyone here have a cat with the same?

Our Chloe has that. She takes felimazole for it (same stuff as your
Tapazole). It tastes appalling to both humans and cats, so crushing
it up in food or dissolving it in tuna juice is a total non-starter.
We wrap each pill up in a little bit of thinly sliced ham the size
of a postage stamp. Sometimes the pill falls out, in which case we
just rewrap it and try again. We've been doing this for about a year
and a half now.

The only problem is getting woken up before dawn by Chloe patting
me on the face to ask for her pill.

Old October 18th 14, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
Pit2nya has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
I had her in for a blood and urine test, thinking possible diabetes,
because she seemed to have been passing more urine...
litter box clumping litter showing more and larger clumps.
The good news is no diabetes. The bad news hyperthyroidism
in my laid-back sleeps-a-lot cat! Who Knew? Good thing
I brought her in for testing. She had her yearly physical a month ago,
but no lab tests at that time seemed necessary to our vet.

I'm hoping the pills are small one only once a day.
Does anyone here have a cat with the same?
Any helpful info?

Thanks In Advance,

Sylvia

My phantom RIP had it for years I took pill pockets to give him his meds
everyday he was with me till he was 16

Old October 18th 14, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
Pit2nya has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
I had her in for a blood and urine test, thinking possible
diabetes,
because she seemed to have been passing more urine...
litter box clumping litter showing more and larger clumps.
The good news is no diabetes. The bad news hyperthyroidism
in my laid-back sleeps-a-lot cat! Who Knew? Good thing
I brought her in for testing. She had her yearly physical a
month ago, but no lab tests at that time seemed necessary to our
vet.

I'm hoping the pills are small one only once a day.
Does anyone here have a cat with the same?
Any helpful info?

Thanks In Advance,

Sylvia

Thanks to all for your responses.
They made me feel better as to long term prognosis.
I picked up the prescription today. It is Methimazole 5 mg, a thin
1/4th inch circumference pill with a slit in the middle, which is
a good thing, as I am to give it to Pit2nya in half pill doses 2x
a day 12 hours apart.
After one month she'll be re-bloodtested. At that time I'm going
to ask about Tapazole, the squishy chicken-flavored "pill". I
think I'll ask if there is a generic as well, since this seems to
be a long term commitment, from what I am reading here. Too bad I
can't get it filled at Kaiser pharmacies (I don't think.)

And does her Pet Insurance cover hyperthyroidism? :'-( Nope.
Diabetes yes, contagious diseases yes, UTI yes, accidents yes. Oh
well, I don't wish any of these on her for the sake of collecting
expenses.

Now to pill her at 9 p.m. and 9 a.m. for at least the next 30
days.

Sylvia

Old October 18th 14, 06:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 10/17/2014 8:38 PM, Sylvia M wrote:

They made me feel better as to long term prognosis.
I picked up the prescription today. It is Methimazole 5 mg, a thin
1/4th inch circumference pill with a slit in the middle,

It's my understanding that Tapazole is a more-palatable form of
Methimazole; the latter is alleged to be one of the most foul-tasting
pills around. I believe I read that it was unrealistic to crush it up
and mix with food, unlike most pills, due to the overpoweringly bad taste.

Someone - correct me if I'm mistaken. I'll ask a lady in my bicycle
club, who recently started taking it herself after a huge deterioration
in her cycling strength turned out to be due to a hyperthyroid condition.

Anyway, that's why I went with the Tapazole rather than the much cheaper
Methimazole that I could get inexpensively from Costco mail order pharmacy.

Art

Old October 18th 14, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Booker

On 10/17/2014 8:38 PM, Sylvia M wrote:

Thanks to all for your responses.
They made me feel better as to long term prognosis.
I picked up the prescription today. It is Methimazole 5 mg, a thin
1/4th inch circumference pill with a slit in the middle, which is
a good thing, as I am to give it to Pit2nya in half pill doses 2x
a day 12 hours apart.

Methimazole is the generic version of Tapazole. Funny thing, I take one
5 mg pill, split into two 2.5 mg doses, each day. Only I'm a heck of a
lot bigger than Pit2nya.

It is a very bitter pill.

After one month she'll be re-bloodtested. At that time I'm going
to ask about Tapazole, the squishy chicken-flavored "pill". I
think I'll ask if there is a generic as well, since this seems to
be a long term commitment, from what I am reading here. Too bad I
can't get it filled at Kaiser pharmacies (I don't think.)

Probably not (I have Kaiser, too), but try Costco. You do not have to be
a member to use their pharmacy. Their website gives a price of $14.85
for 100 5 mg tablets.

And does her Pet Insurance cover hyperthyroidism? :'-( Nope.
Diabetes yes, contagious diseases yes, UTI yes, accidents yes. Oh
well, I don't wish any of these on her for the sake of collecting
expenses.

Now to pill her at 9 p.m. and 9 a.m. for at least the next 30
days.

Give her a hug and a cuddle from a fellow hyperthyroid sufferer.

Sylvia

Old October 18th 14, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 10/18/2014 10:38 AM, Booker wrote:

[...]

Yes! You may have to have your vet phone a prescription to them.
That's what mine did when I had to give Waffles (RB) chemo pills.

Joy