Cats and getting on counter and tables -- healthy???

Old December 17th 04, 05:33 PM
Barb

You need to watch Oprah Winfrey and find out that about the filthiest places
are movie theater chairs, hand rails in stores, kids toys, you can go on and
on. Just wash your hands before you eat and don't put food on the kitchen
counter. ( Use plates!)

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old December 17th 04, 07:37 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-17, Meghan Noecker penned:

And I usually put wax paper down if I want to put food directly on the
counter.

Ooh, that's a good idea. Wonder why I never thought of that? Not just
because of pet and people germs, but in case washing down the counter after
preparing chicken didn't catch *everything* ...

Same here. If I had to wash my hands everytime I touched a cat or dog, I
would never get anything done. But I do wash them before preparing food.

Now that I don't have a Lab in my life, their oily fur weirds me out and I
wash off the dog smell and slobber after playing with them. It didn't bother
me much while Puma was alive, though. In fact, when he and I were both young,
I remember wrestling with him. Somehow he always got a dusty, dirty paw in my
mouth! Blechhh!

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 17th 04, 09:05 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-17, Zythophile penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

snip

A lot of houses have open floorplans. My kitchen has two entrances,
neither of which has a door.

I didn't think of that. I've never lived in an open plan house, so it didn't
occur to me.

I love the feel of having so much space, but there are certainly downsides.
For one thing, if I'm trying to sleep, my husband can't watch TV ... the sound
travels *everywhere*.

Did you shower before you entered the house?

Not before entering the house, but first trip was to the bathroom. Mind you
i do remember my mother threatening to hose me down on more than one
occaision. Like most kids, I was a muck magnet.

My mom threatened me with that, too =)

True. Those of us who choose to have cats know we have to make compromises
in our lifestyles to accommodate them. We all make the compromises that we
are comfortable with. I feel for the OP because he's having to make
compromises for someone else's cats. What greater love hath any man than to
put up with someone else's pets? Mmm.. I know the answer to that - putting
up with someone else's kids :-)

I agree that it would be tough living with a pet if you wouldn't have chosen
that pet on your own. And I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say
that pet-rearing theories are as varied as kid-rearing theories. For example,
I would have a real hard time living in a house where cats are allowed on the
dinner table ... even during dinner. I had a high school boyfriend whose
family thought that was cute. It grossed me out. Other people would be fine
with that; it just bugs me.

Old December 19th 04, 04:19 AM
KellyH

"Zythophile" wrote in message

Do you have to let the cats in the kitchen when you're not there? I never
leave my cats unattended in the kitchen. In fact if they could come and go
from the house without going through the kitchen, they'd not be allowed in
the kichen at all. If I ever found one on the worktop, I think it'd take
20 litres of Dettol before i could even think of cooking in there.

My kitchen doesn't have a door, so I don't know how I would block it off
anyway. The only reason I might not let cats in the kitchen is if there was
something unsafe in there.

Personally, I think you're overreacting - the cats sleep in your bed,
right?

Yuk! What a horrible thought!

What a horrible thought??? What a wonderful thought! I love having the
cats in bed. NewCat always sleeps right above my head, purring. I can't
think of a nicer way to fall asleep. Although I do wish she would let me
have more of the pillow.

Yes, and I always wash my hands after stroking them. I know that the
stress reduction in having and stroking pets is beneficial for health and
that being exposed to the bugs that pets carry is good for the immune
system, but a bit of basic hygiene makes me feel more relaxed.

OMG, Dude! You need to chill! If I washed my hands every time I pet a cat,
I would be washing them all day.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old December 19th 04, 10:17 PM
Barb

And too much hand washing in winter weather can dry them out, make them
crack, and leave them open to all the germs they may pick up from theater
seats, toys, hand rails etc..

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,