Advice wanted- vomiting cat

Old February 15th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

Default Advice wanted- vomiting cat

In article ,
wrote:
Hello,

This is my first time posting here. We have 3 cats, one is 12, one is
7, and one is 2. I am writing about the 2 year old. Her name is
Aster and she's mixed but looks like a Blue Russian. She is thin to
me (7-8 lbs) but is very small-framed too.

Anyway, since she was a kitten, she often vomits after she eats. It
seems to come in spurts, like she's fine for 2 weeks, then pukes every
day for a week, then not for a month, etc. When she was about 6
months old she was tested for feiline aids & leukemia, and some other
stuff, worms, etc. Nothing came up. The problem persisted, and 6
months later we went back to the vet, and again, clean bill of
health. The vet said she probably just has a weak stomach. We've
tried many different foods, and she absolutely refuses to eat wet food
of any type. The one that she seems to do the best with, though I
know it's not the best for them, is Deli Cat.

I mean, we've just gotten to live with it, she has no other signs of
being ill, has tons of energy, and never has a lack of appetite. We
have done better by making sure she always has food available. She
really eats a lot, and if she runs out and has to beg, then she really
gulps down fast and almost guaranteed will vomit. The other cats
NEVER are allowed in the room where her food is, so that isn't an
issue. I should mention she hasn't been spayed, because the vets are
afraid of her low weight it could be more risky putting her under.

Just figured I'd throw this out if anybody else has a cat that just
has a 'bad stomach'? I have acid reflux. Can cats have a similar
condition? Are there antacids or something for a cat? It isn't
hairballs either, she has short hair, and never any hair in the vomit.

Any thoughts? Much thanks in advance!!!

Tom & Aster

When I first got Bubba from the pound he'd gobble down the
kibble that they gave me for him and puke it back up more
often than not. I switched him to Royal Canin Maine Coon
formula which is bigger. The larger size forces him to chew
it enough so that he only throws up every now and then. I can
tell by watching him eat if he's gonna hurl or not and if I
remind him to chew and not gobble he even listens to me.

Sometimes. :*)
Old February 15th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"hopitus" wrote in message

Is that the *original* Hopitus?? How long has it been-- 5 years? How've
you been? I haven't had much time to visit the group as much I used to.

Dude, Phil P. not only knows his cat stuff and his advice is worth
20 or more "opinions" like my earlier post re the food barfing after
meals, but his sense of humor (oh, he does have one; you just
pushed the wrong buttons) is *zilch* when it comes to cat health
problems/questions levity.

May be he would have been happier if I told him that if he wanted to stop
the cat from barfing, just stop feeding the damned thing! Simple solution
with an added benefit.. Not only won't he have to clean up barf and dye
stains- he also wouldn't have to clean the litter box as much...

Uh oh! One of my cats is letting me know what she thinks of my jokes:
http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Chatter-gi...er_opinion.JPG

Good to see you again,

Phil

Old February 15th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Feb 15, 12:49*pm, "Phil P." wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

[...]

OK, I tried to call a 'truce' & let by-gones be by-gones. Several
posts ago I apologized, and said let's stop it. Then you have to 'go
there' again. But for some reason it's OK for you to joke about
ABUSING a cat, but I make a joke about not knowing daltons and
molecular weight, and you call me dumb and a jerk. Seriously, read
this thread. You lashed out at me because you have 'no sense of
humor' when it comes to cat's health.

But a joke about starving a cat to death is OK for you to make. And
I don't doubt for a second your knowledge or your love of cats. But I
also don't doubt your ability to be hypocritical, and that YOU - not
ME - sound like a jerk when you mention not feeding a cat at all as to
'not have to clean the litter box'. Don't get on my case for making a
joke about molecular weight after you do that. Anybody who thinks
that isn't hypocritical really is 'too dumb to own a cat' - or a
computer. Re-read my post asking for us to stop the back and forth.
Old February 15th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

wrote in message

OK, I tried to call a 'truce' & let by-gones be by-gones. .

Now you're starting to whine. Chill out.

Old February 15th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Feb 15, 3:22*pm, "Phil P." wrote:
wrote in message

OK, I tried to call a 'truce' & let by-gones be by-gones. *.

Now you're starting to whine. Chill out.

AZ, we have had her to 2 different vets, and tested for everything
including giardia. We had 2 BIG visits where they did every test in
the book, but there were many check-up and follow-up visits in
between. Most of it was early in the game, because we didn't want
anything passed on to our other cats. But once all of THAT was ruled
out, we then went back many times.

How do the people in here find Iams to be? She wouldn't eat it when
we first tried it, but the vet said if she could keep that down to go
with it if she refused to eat the wet food and what he prescribed.
Our other cats never get sick other than hairballs, but we'd just have
to make sure if we keep them on Deli Cat that Aster doesn't "steal"
their food! But - is Iams successful for anybody here?

Old February 15th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
wrote:
On Feb 15, 3:22*pm, "Phil P." wrote:
wrote in message

OK, I tried to call a 'truce' & let by-gones be by-gones. *.

Now you're starting to whine. Chill out.

AZ, we have had her to 2 different vets, and tested for everything
including giardia. We had 2 BIG visits where they did every test in
the book, but there were many check-up and follow-up visits in
between. Most of it was early in the game, because we didn't want
anything passed on to our other cats. But once all of THAT was ruled
out, we then went back many times.

How do the people in here find Iams to be? She wouldn't eat it when
we first tried it, but the vet said if she could keep that down to go
with it if she refused to eat the wet food and what he prescribed.
Our other cats never get sick other than hairballs, but we'd just have
to make sure if we keep them on Deli Cat that Aster doesn't "steal"
their food! But - is Iams successful for anybody here?

FWIW, the only cat food that Bubba has *ever* refused to eat
was a couple of varieties of IAMS.

A while back I posted his impressions of several types of
canned food. I'll repost part of that review.

- Begin Quote -

IAMS Slices with Chicken in Gravy Slices covered in Real Broth:
IAMS Turkey Slices in Gravy Slices covered in Real Broth:
The liquid portion was quite tasty but the overall eating experience
was marred by a number of inedible square chunks of some unknown
origin that was included in the can for some stupid human reason.
I, as is my Privilege, refused to eat whatever it was. This is the
first time in my recollection that I have actually refused to eat
*any* cat food related substance. *

IAMS Slices with Beef in Gravy Slices covered in Real Broth:
The solid squares in this flavor are closer to edible than in the
other flavors. The gravy is quite good. **

IAMS Beef Entree Slow Cooked in Real Broth:
IAMS Lamb & Rice Entree Slow Cooked in Real Broth:
IAMS Chicken Entree Slow Cooked in Real Broth:
The liquid portion was also quite good but the solid portion was
barely edible. If that idiot slave of mine had put out more kibble I
would not have bothered with eating the solid part. *

- end quote -

as always, YCMMV.
Old February 15th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote
How do the people in here find Iams to be? She wouldn't eat it when
we first tried it, but the vet said if she could keep that down to go
with it if she refused to eat the wet food and what he prescribed.

The shelter where I got my Gracie was feeding her Iams in a can
when I brought her home. She was asthmatic and allergic, did better
when I switched her food to Fancy Feast. Iams looks really gross,
not appetizing even from a cat's perspective.

Old February 18th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"hopitus" wrote in message

ROFL at your cat link's opinion.

Its not far from real personality! lol She's the most opinionated cat I've
ever known.

AFAIK there is only one hopitus
(well, not counting
my beloved old Manx who waits for me @ RB since '89) who moved mid-04
MileHigh where my present cats grow magnificent thick fur as weather
is so bad.

The weather here is crazy-- We're finding 3-8 week old kittens outside- and
females in their third trimester- and this is only February! I'm dreading
this kitten season- last year was a 3-litter season that we haven't
recovered from- It looks like this year will we worse.

Hope life has treated you and yours good all these years; assume
you're still in
same area
and also that yes, you as usual are very busy indeed.

I still live in the same area, but we're trapping all over the state.

My major comfort is my cats - the overweight barfer has mellowed in
his middle
age of 7-ish; he used to bite a lot but now is a cuddling blob of

fuzzy love.

My home team is up to 11! All hard luck cases.

Thanks for asking/greeting and continued blessings wished on you and
yours
from hopitus...now enjoying more snow, LOL - NOT!

I wish you the same.

Phil