Cat and the holidays

Old December 15th 03, 01:26 PM
afr

Default Cat and the holidays

I think that most cats prefer to be on their own turf--provided they feel
safe and comfortable with the person who looks in on them.

ava
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Jeannie wrote:

I am going to stay with friends this Christmas and I don't know what to do
with my cat. Do you think she would like it better if I took her with me
(about 2 hours drive away) or should I leave her at home and ask my
neighbour to feed her while I'm gone?

I've never left home for any length of time before and am planning to be
away for 3 days over Christmas. Does anybody else take their cat with them
when they go away? I must admit, I would be much happier if she came with
me, but the question really is....would she?

She is an inside / outside cat but obviously, if I did take her with me I
would keep her inside all the time. Do you think it would confuse her too
much to take her away with me? Any advice / experiences would be much
appreciated as decision time is drawing ever closer!!

Jeannie

Old December 15th 03, 01:36 PM
Iain & Deb

In article , jean@NOSPAMspackman
says...
I am going to stay with friends this Christmas and I don't know what to do
with my cat. Do you think she would like it better if I took her with me
(about 2 hours drive away) or should I leave her at home and ask my
neighbour to feed her while I'm gone?

I've never left home for any length of time before and am planning to be
away for 3 days over Christmas. Does anybody else take their cat with them
when they go away? I must admit, I would be much happier if she came with
me, but the question really is....would she?

She is an inside / outside cat but obviously, if I did take her with me I
would keep her inside all the time. Do you think it would confuse her too
much to take her away with me? Any advice / experiences would be much
appreciated as decision time is drawing ever closer!!

Jeannie

Three days isn't too long, especially if your neighbour can look in on
her. Holidays can be really hectic, and your cat might not enjoy staying
at a strange place, even if you are there, when there is a lot of hustle
and bustle going on. Also, if your friends are not cat people, they may
not really want you to bring her along; if on the other hand they are cat
people, there may be pets there that your cat won't interact with too
well. As you say, you would be happy with her there, but would she be
happy? Probably not.

If it were me, I'd leave her at home.

Deb

--
"Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store."
-- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Old December 15th 03, 06:43 PM
lakinapook

I don't think its a good idea to take her with you. Most cats get a
little freaked out at new environments, and it is unnecessarily
stressful to them. When I go on vacation I get a friend or my father
to feed and scoop the box. My cats usually give me an attitude when I
get back for leaving them, but they warm up again in a day or so.
Once I had to have my place exterminated, and I brought all of my cats
to my sisters house for a day. They spent the day in her house hiding
under things and being really terrified.

Old December 15th 03, 09:40 PM
Barb

The main thing you would need to worry about if you did take your cat with
you would be that she could slip out and disappear. I did take my first
Siamese from Long Island, NY to Syracuse, NY a few times in the car and once
up to Boston for visits. It worked out fine. She was okay but I always
worried that someone would accidentally let her out.

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.