Little Bit revisits the Out

Old May 10th 10, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix[_2_]

Default Little Bit revisits the Out

Today we had sunshine, warm-ish temperatures and very little
breeze, so as I was making breakfast I said to DH "how about you
take the folding trays, two chairs, and the small oval table out
to the deck, and we'll have Mother's Day breakfast there?" And so
we did. Our deck opens off the kitchen and we left that door open
(along with all the windows in the house! yum for fresh spring
air!).

Little Bit decided to go exploring! She has full run of the house
now and if you didn't know she was blind, you likely wouldn't
guess. She gets around fine (and gives any cat or the d-thing
that gets in her way a solid thwacking). But we had not been
willing to let her outdoors at all. One time about a month ago
she had gotten onto the deck without our knowing it (we thought
the hanging screen door would stop her, but noooooo...). John
found her out in the middle of the back yard, just sort of
sitting there, after she apparently fell off the deck. (Our deck
is about 1-1/2 floors above the ground, due to our being on a
hill, and there are no stairs off it.)

Today, she went out while I was cooking, and she carefully
explored all the edges and the things in the way...the hot tub,
the planter bench, the pieces of PVC piping, the watering can,
etc. Then she harassed us while we ate, as usual. She did not
fall off and she did not get into anything she shouldn't. She
came back in on her own volition after we started clearing up
when the sun went behind clouds and it got chilly. (Hey, I could
sit out there all day and read the Sunday paper and drink coffee,
especially as DH has "coffee magic" and makes The Best Coffee EVAR.)

Now she is sitting on my keyboard tray as usual, wanting me to
stop typing and use the mouse so she can rest her head on my
wrist. Bad for my carpal tunnel, but good for kitty :-)

Deborah
sorta hit & run, sorry, have been sending purrs and good thoughts
and hugs as needed, but not saying so...

--

"Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in health care is the
most shocking and inhumane."-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old May 10th 10, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Phoenix wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a great day. Now please tell us how to make "the best
coffee ever" -- please! MLB
Old May 10th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix[_2_]

MLB wrote:
Sounds like a great day. Now please tell us how to make "the best coffee
ever" -- please! MLB

Well, um, you have to start with my husband, you see :-)

*I* can use the same beans, the same grinder, the same coffee pot
and apparently the same technique, but my coffee is never as good
as his.

We are enough of "coffee snobs" that we have our own "house
blend" (which ends up being cheaper than grocery store coffee!
Truly, per pound it is cheaper, and SO much better). We buy a
medium roast coffee blended with pine nuts by mail order from the
New Mexico Coffee Co., and coffee roasted fresh from a guy about
20 miles away, a dark roast Columbian, which we pick up on
alternate Tuesday evenings. We keep the whole beans in the
freezer. DH mixes it in batches: 1 part NM to 2 parts DC. He
grinds the beans for the day's pot each morning and it's brewed
in a regular drip-style pot (nothing fancy, I think it's Braun
rather than Mr. Coffee, but I could be wrong).

A goodly dollop of half and half (or, if we have some, heavy
cream) in my travel mug and topped off with freshly brewed brew.
Heaven! Rich, overtones of chocolate, not acid or bitter. Mmmm.

If it wasn't already 5:30, I might go have some more!

Deborah
still figuring out how to name the remainder of the clowder

Old May 10th 10, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 9, 6:50*pm, Phoenix
wrote:
[...]

Awww...that's neat. It was a nice treat for her to experience fresh
air and sunshine
and still be safely supervised. And a treat for you guys to have her
present
at a special breakfast. Happy Mother's Day!
Biskit goes out *once in a blue moon* and it always shocks me whenshe
asks.
She goes to the porch, sniffs around, rolls around on the concrete,
scratches
her claws on the landscaping timbers, then dances back to the front
door like
"Okay, I'm ready!" (Biskit never walks. She prances.)

Sherry

Old May 11th 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Phoenix wrote:

Today, she went out while I was cooking, and she carefully explored all
the edges and the things in the way...the hot tub, the planter bench,
the pieces of PVC piping, the watering can, etc. Then she harassed us
while we ate, as usual. She did not fall off and she did not get into
anything she shouldn't. She came back in on her own volition after we
started clearing up when the sun went behind clouds and it got chilly.

How sensible of her, to go along the edges like that. I'm glad she was
able to get some fresh air and smell some new smells safely.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.