How much space for a cat?

Old February 7th 04, 11:34 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 12:24:35 +0000, Jacqueline
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 11:06:37 +0000, Bob Brenchley.
wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:20:43 +0000, Jacqueline
wrote:

[snip]

[hamsters]
but need proper housing.

In a cage?

Certainly not.

So you lambast hamster-keepers then? I bet you're a popular guy with
the kids.

Keeping hamsters in a cage is cruel. There are proper ways to keep
them, though most people do not have the necessary room.

We don't have freedom to do as we please. You can't wander onto
someone's land and claim it as your own. You can't go around killing
people and eating them just 'cos you're hungry. We impose rules for
the sake of our civilisation - and that includes allowing animals in
our care to have a healthy, fulfilled, good life.

Which cats get if they are treated correctly - as an indoor/outdoor
animal.

Which cats get if they are treated correctly in a safe indoor
environment.

What cats get if they are unlucky enough to have an abusive owner is
24/7 imprisonment indoors.

It's your opinion
that cats need access to fields and roads to have that, but many
millions with happy indoor cat owners would disagree,

Oh I know there are many ignorant people out there, and many who do
know that they are abusing their cats by keeping them in.

I suggest you are the blinkered one.

No, remember I'm one of the majority - a vast majority.

Even in the USA indoor only cats are in a minority - though there are
still far too many of them.

so you can't
claim your opinion is any more valid than theirs.

Yes I can. Because my opinions are based on the opinions of experts
like the RSPCA, Cats Protection,

I'm a member of Cats Protection and we certainly home cats to indoor
environments and provide potential owners with how to care for them.
Take a look at this month's magazine, there's an article on just that.

Cats Protection do not home healthy cats to indoor only homes - so
don't try that lie again.

well respected experts in cats, our
leading zoos, and the experiences of millions of cat owners around the
world.

The cat is the same - regardless of the country it lives in. The
overwhelming majority of cats around the world get to lead proper
lives with time outside. Why should American cats be any different?

Blinkered, blinkered. I used to think like you, I thought it was
'normal' for cats to be let out because that's what I was brought up
to believe. But the overwhelming evidence against such a preposterous
idea shifted my opinion. Incidentally, while I let my cats roam free -
in an area I considered safe as I'm quite a distance from a main road
- I had cats shot at, one kicked until it had a dislocated hip, they
constantly came in with fleas and mites, and lumps of fur missing from
fights with other animals. I don't think that's an acceptable or safe
environment.

You come across as being someone quite old with very static opinions,
so I guess if you've thought like you do for 40 years you're unlikely
to change now. Shame.

The FACT is that none of the UK's major shelters, nor most of the
smaller ones that for various reasons affiliate with the big boys,
will normally rehome a healthy cat to an indoor only environment. This
has been confirmed on numerous occasions by people who work at the
grass roots level - actually finding homes for cats.

--
Bob.

I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in
public.
Old February 7th 04, 11:34 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 11:20:23 -0600, Ted Davis
wrote:

Ignore him. Killfile him. But don't cater to him by responding.

Based on my examination of his messages, I find that I cannot
distinguish between those from him and those that would be generated
by a badly written usnet troll robot program. That is, the sender of
those messages fail the Turing test for intelligence in that while it
can be distinguished from a normal human, it cannot be distinguished
from a machine.

Now do shut up you stupid troll.

--
Bob.

I read your mind, and believe me, it was a short story...

Old February 8th 04, 01:19 PM
Jacqueline

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:34:05 +0000, Bob Brenchley.
wrote:
I'm a member of Cats Protection and we certainly home cats to indoor
environments and provide potential owners with how to care for them.
Take a look at this month's magazine, there's an article on just that.

Cats Protection do not home healthy cats to indoor only homes - so
don't try that lie again.

It's most certainly not a lie, two of my cats are from Cats Protection
and were homed on the understanding they were indoor cats. I was
vetted prior to their arrival and had check-ups afterwards. You're the
one full of lies, mate. I'm an active member of my branch and I could
give you countless examples of similar cases.

Your 'facts' are just fabrications, go on believing what you will but
you're certainly no authority to comment on anyone else's ability to
look after their animals.

Old February 8th 04, 01:26 PM
Jacqueline

wrote:
I'm a member of Cats Protection and we certainly home cats to indoor
environments and provide potential owners with how to care for them.
Take a look at this month's magazine, there's an article on just that.

Cats Protection do not home healthy cats to indoor only homes - so
don't try that lie again.

It's most certainly not a lie, two of my cats are from Cats Protection
and were homed on the understanding they were indoor cats.

....and may I just add the word 'healthy' to that sentence. My cats
were healthy, normal cats when I got them and remain so.

Old February 9th 04, 07:48 PM
Bob Brenchley.

wrote:
I'm a member of Cats Protection and we certainly home cats to indoor
environments and provide potential owners with how to care for them.
Take a look at this month's magazine, there's an article on just that.

Cats Protection do not home healthy cats to indoor only homes - so
don't try that lie again.

It's most certainly not a lie, two of my cats are from Cats Protection
and were homed on the understanding they were indoor cats.

Then they were not healthy cats. Cats Protection do not home healthy
cats indoors only.

I was
vetted prior to their arrival and had check-ups afterwards. You're the
one full of lies, mate. I'm an active member of my branch and I could
give you countless examples of similar cases.

Cats Protection do not home healthy cats indoors only.

Your 'facts' are just fabrications, go on believing what you will but
you're certainly no authority to comment on anyone else's ability to
look after their animals.

The FACT is that none of the UK's major shelters, nor most of the
smaller ones that for various reasons affiliate with the big boys,
will normally rehome a healthy cat to an indoor only environment. This
has been confirmed on numerous occasions by people who work at the
grass roots level - actually finding homes for cats.

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.

Old February 9th 04, 07:48 PM
Bob Brenchley.

wrote:
I'm a member of Cats Protection and we certainly home cats to indoor
environments and provide potential owners with how to care for them.
Take a look at this month's magazine, there's an article on just that.

Cats Protection do not home healthy cats to indoor only homes - so
don't try that lie again.

It's most certainly not a lie, two of my cats are from Cats Protection
and were homed on the understanding they were indoor cats.

...and may I just add the word 'healthy' to that sentence. My cats
were healthy, normal cats when I got them and remain so.

Cats Protection do not home healthy cats indoors only.

--
Bob.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why you appear bright until
we hear you talk.