UPDATE: Juliet - Mar 7, 2008

Old March 7th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Flippy[_4_]

Default UPDATE: Juliet - Mar 7, 2008

Hi All,

Thank you, thank you! I cannot thank you all enough for your kind messages,
purrs, and good wishes for my darling Juliet.

Here is a run-down of events:

Wednesday morning - Juliet had eaten very little for three days, which is a
real concern for elderly cats. Juliet is 14 years old. Her weight has
dropped from 5.5kg same time last year, to 3.9kg today.

Wednesday afternoon - Took Juliet to the Vet for an examination and for
blood sample. The first blood test showed nothing too out of the ordinary -
apart from low white cell count.

The Vet noted that Juliet has a heart murmur. Juliet has had this murmur all
her life. This is one of the reasons why the Vet didn't put her on fluid
therapy right away.

The Vet prescribed Periactin to stimulate her appetite. Administered
Periactin on Wednesday night - it didn't work. Juliet felt hungry and wanted
to eat, but when even her favourite food was set in front of her she
couldn't eat.

Thursday morning - Took Juliet back to the Vet and left her there for the
day for observation, more tests, and x-rays.

At the examination, the Vet couldn't locate Juliet's kidneys, but did locate
a large lump in her tummy.

Juliet is still not eating. The Vet nurses fed her by syringe.

Another blood sample was taken for more tests. The second, more involved
blood test showed normal thyroid, normal kidney function, no diabetes. There
were no glaringly obvious abnormal results. This was a great relief.

Two X-rays were taken to try to determine what the lump in her tummy is.
X-rays showed one large kidney and one very small one. The larger one is
functioning, but seems to be in an odd position, more towards the middle of
her tummy.

X-rays also showed that Juliet may have a problem with her colon - which
would explain why she tends to swing between diarrhoea and constipation.
Catlax and enema was prescribed. Several years ago when Juliet had problems
eliminating, the Vet had to sedate her and express her anal glands manually.
Let's hope that the problem is a simple "back-log" and that she will recover
from this quickly.

Thursday night - I syringe-fed Juliet with Hills A/D. She couldn't eat very
much, and vomited just an hour or so later.

Overnight I left soft food for her - she did eat a little. Fingers crossed
that her appetite returns.

Friday morning - Juliet wanted to go outside, so I let her out but she is
being supervised. She eliminated and then vomited. Currently she is laying
on the lawn in the backyard, writhing in the sun.

If Juliet doesn't start eating and return to normal by Monday, I will take
her back to the Vet for an ultrasound.

Just like with people, sometimes many tests are done before the condition is
correctly diagnosed. I am confident that the team of Vets who have examined
Juliet are competent.

Thanks again for all your kind words, purrs, and prayers. I will keep you
posted.

Hugs & purrs to all,
Flippy & Mia & 5 Cats.
Catpage: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

Old March 7th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Flippy" wrote in message
[...]

Poor girl has been through so much, and so have you. Continuing purrs that
she gets well soon.

Old March 7th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Flippy wrote:

Hi All,

Thank you, thank you! I cannot thank you all enough for your kind
messages, purrs, and good wishes for my darling Juliet.

Here is a run-down of events:

[snip]

I'm sorry! It sounds like she's having a rough time of it. I really
hope you find out what it is soon.

Purrs,
Joyce
Old March 7th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

Flippy wrote:
[...]

Purrs continuing for a quick resolution.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old March 7th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

We are continuing to send purrs and gentle headbutts to all of you for
Juliet's problems to be easily treated.
Hugs,
Julie, Hobbes, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus
Old March 7th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 12:42:31 +1100, "Flippy"
wrote:

[...]

Considering all the things that *could* have been found, this is 'good'
news, to a very large extent.

Purrs for Juliet to get well soon, and for your nerves, which must be
pretty frazzled by now.

- Robert Heinlein

Old March 7th 08, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Flippy wrote:
snip
Just like with people, sometimes many tests are done before the
condition is correctly diagnosed. I am confident that the team of
Vets who have examined Juliet are competent.

Thanks again for all your kind words, purrs, and prayers. I will keep
you posted.

Hugs & purrs to all,
Flippy & Mia & 5 Cats.
Catpage: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

Continuing purrs for Juliet.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old March 7th 08, 01:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bettina

On 7 Mrz., 02:42, "Flippy" wrote:
[...]

Oh well, what a stress for Juliet and you. I pray that they will find
what causes her troubles or, better, that she will get better on her
own soon.

love
Bettina
Old March 7th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Flippy wrote:
Just like with people, sometimes many tests are done before the condition is
correctly diagnosed. I am confident that the team of Vets who have examined
Juliet are competent.

We'll keep purring for a correct diagnosis and a bright prognosis.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he