OT - Summer Reading?

Old June 17th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default OT - Summer Reading?

Anybody here planning on spending the hot days of summer inside in the A/C
reading instead of outside sweating?

I know we've covered this subject before, but we have some new people here
and I'd like their input as well, so....

What are you planning to read? What have you already read that you'd
recommend for some *light* summer reading? What's your favorite genre? Who
are your favorite authors?

My favorite genre is science fiction. I have a few books by John Ringo (he
wrote the "Posleen" series and the "March to the Sea" series) and a new
"Flinx" book by Alan Dean Foster that I'm planning on reading (I love ADF's
"humanx" universe).

Some of my favorite authors are Spider Robinson ("Stardance" trilogy), Alan
Dean Foster, Robert Heinlein ("Stranger in a Strange Land"), Isaac Asimov
("I Robot"), Ben Bova, David Brin, Robert L. Forward, Greg Bear, Gregroy
Benford, Orson Scott Card, Julie E. Czerneda, Harlan Ellison, David Gerrold,
Arthur C. Clarke ("Rendezvous With Rama"), Ursula K. LeGuin ("The Left Hand
of Darkness"), Anne McCaffrey, Vondra N. McIntyre ("Dreamsnake", "Of Mist,
Grass, and Sand"), Larry Niven ("Ringworld"), Charles Sheffield, S.L. Viehl,
and John Varley to name only a few.

Your turn! ;

Old June 17th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I read a lot of non-fic. I tend to read whatever political book is getting
everybody riled up in that particular week. I realize that's not
everybody's cup of tea. I love history.

But in the summer, I belong to baseball. At this point, that's a pretty
masochistic way to go, but what can I say. I love the game. :P So I read
about baseball-- I do some escapist reading about better baseball, if the
baseball I'm getting subjected to at the moment is UTTER CRAP. :P But
right now, all the nostalgic wallowing in the 1980s isn't much help.

Right now, I'm re-reading Tim McCarver's "Baseball for Brain Surgeons and
Other Fans" which is a pretty technical book about baseball, good to dip
into from time to time to sharpen up your appreciation of the finer points.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old June 17th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I just picked up a few books at the Dollar Store that sounded interesting to
me. One is called "My Father's Notebook" by Kader Abdolah. It's about the
political struggle of a man leaving war-torn Iran to start a new life in the
Netherlands. It's obviously a biography, but I like biographies.

The other is "Airframe" by Michael Crichton. It's an older, semi-fictional
novel about a person inspecting an in-flight accident.

We'll see if I like them!

kili

Old June 17th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

For anyone who likes science fiction, here's the short story I mentioned,
"Of Mist, Grass and Sand" by Vonda N. McIntyre - this was expanded upon and
turned into the novel "Dreamsnake".

http://www.vondanmcintyre.com/Fictio...GrassSand.html

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 17th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Anybody here planning on spending the hot days of summer inside in the A/C
reading instead of outside sweating?

Currently re-reading what I can find of my Heinlein collection ("Friday"
right now), The Mossy Creek anthologies (anthology written by southern
authors (female) about the events in a fictional Georgia town who's motto is
"Ain't going nowhere and don't want to"), some Georgette Heyer (Regency
romance with humor), early Tom Clancy (Red Storm Rising, Hunt For Red
October, 3rd Armored Cav) and whatever else strikes my fancy. I don't think
a day goes by without me spending time with my nose stuck in a book.

Pam S.

Old June 17th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when CatNipped wrote:
What are you planning to read?

AJAX The Definitive Guide
Several Sharepoint books
Pragmatic Unit Testing
Web 2.0 Mashups
Programming WPF
Learning WCF
client Side Reporting With Visual Studio in C#

The Secret History of Starwars (pdf)
Odd Hours by Dean Koontz
Books 2 & 3 of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein treatment
Reread all of Terry Pratchett

And that's just for starters...

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old June 17th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`

"CatNipped"
[...]

I love to read
I just finished a J.A. Jance novel and
Now I'm reading short stories by Polly Samson 'Lying in Bed'.
Then onto another J.A Jance. (A writer from Seattle)
I'd also read some Stuart Woods novels. .
Gave away 12 issues of Mad Magazine to a neighbor's son.
It ain't what it was way back when.
I also have a collection of Pink Floyd magazines called
Brain Damage Magazine which I've thumbed thru.
And I'm re-reading an old book my sister found in my
Mom's things published in the 1920's..pirate stories.
Still has the old musty smell from when I was a kid.
Hug
Kyla

Old June 17th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Have you ever read any of Karen Traviss' books?

If you like sci-fi, I highly recommend her "Wess'har Wars" series
starting with "City of Pearl."

I also enjoyed Scalzi's "Old Man's War" and its sequel...waiting for
the third in paperback.

I'm currently reading "Battle at the Moons of Hell" by Graham Sharp
Paul, and then going to Kent's "The Clone Rebellion."

--Stormy

Old June 17th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`

"Enfilade"
Have you ever read any of Karen Traviss' books?

No, never heard of her.

If you like sci-fi, I highly recommend her "Wess'har Wars" series
starting with "City of Pearl."

I also enjoyed Scalzi's "Old Man's War" and its sequel...waiting for
the third in paperback.

I'm currently reading "Battle at the Moons of Hell" by Graham Sharp
Paul, and then going to Kent's "The Clone Rebellion."

--Stormy

I'm into mysteries and short stories.
Never heard of any of the above authors, but thanks
Have you ever heard of Polly Samson? She's a writer in the UK.
Hug
Kyla

Old June 18th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Kyla =^. .^=`" wrote in message
. ..

"Enfilade"
Have you ever read any of Karen Traviss' books?

No, never heard of her.

If you like sci-fi, I highly recommend her "Wess'har Wars" series
starting with "City of Pearl."

I also enjoyed Scalzi's "Old Man's War" and its sequel...waiting for
the third in paperback.

I'm currently reading "Battle at the Moons of Hell" by Graham Sharp
Paul, and then going to Kent's "The Clone Rebellion."

--Stormy

I'm into mysteries and short stories.
Never heard of any of the above authors, but thanks
Have you ever heard of Polly Samson? She's a writer in the UK.
Hug
Kyla

I like sci fi, but mysteries are my real love. What authors do you like,
Kyla?

Joy