OT - Summer Reading?

Old June 22nd 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default OT - Summer Reading?

"Lesley" wrote in message

I also plan to dig out the Robert Asprin "Myth" books as he died
recently and they're one of my favourite series (Did Pam S get the
name Tanada from them I wonder?) and now thanks to Judith I'll have to
find the Chris Pascoe books again- cannot recommend the adventures of
Birmingham, the World's clumsiest cat highly enough

=========================

Yup, Tanada is my misspelling of Tananda, the trollop in the series. I
didn't know that Asprin died. When did that happen? He left a lot of loose
ends in several series with his death.

Pam S. saddened

Old June 22nd 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I don't just read fiction through- a couple of weeks ago one of
the consultants at work came into my office while I was obviously
at lunch and reading and she said "What are you reading?"

So I showed her the cover and she said "You're sick"

It was "Current Methods of Autopsy Practice"- I have a fascination
with forensic medicine and working in a hospital I can read the
technical stuff

I work part-time in a second-hand bookshop, and I've found that
consistently the punters who go for gross books on Victorian
surgical techniques, skin diseases illustrated in colour and
failures of cancer surgery are attractive young women. The most
extreme one we've ever had went so fast I never saw it - one of
my co-workers just saw it was on forensic medicine, opened it at
random at a photo of a foetus stuffed headfirst down a toilet,
priced it and put on the shelves without reading any further.
It went almost immediately, to a woman in her twenties who was
browsing with her *mother*.

Then there was the young woman we had working with us for a while
who collected books about castration and had every known retelling
of the Abelard and Heloise story.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old June 23rd 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

tanadashoes kirjoitti:
"Lesley" wrote in message

I also plan to dig out the Robert Asprin "Myth" books as he died
recently and they're one of my favourite series (Did Pam S get the
name Tanada from them I wonder?) and now thanks to Judith I'll have to
find the Chris Pascoe books again- cannot recommend the adventures of
Birmingham, the World's clumsiest cat highly enough

=========================

Yup, Tanada is my misspelling of Tananda, the trollop in the series. I
didn't know that Asprin died. When did that happen? He left a lot of loose
ends in several series with his death.

Pam S. saddened

According to Wikipedia he passed away exactly a month ago, May 22.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Asprin

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old June 23rd 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 23:36:05 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

[...]

Ick.

When I was a high-school student (early 1970s), I found a medical
handbook on the diagnosis and treatment of poisoning, and carried it
around at high school for a few weeks, leading to a number of raised
eyebrows. Nowadays, carrying such a book in high school would probably
get me kicked out of school and placed on a Homeland Security watchlist.
It wasn't out of a desire to poison anyone, however; I was merely a
science geek.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old June 23rd 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Christine K" wrote in message

According to Wikipedia he passed away exactly a month ago, May 22.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Asprin

I read that after reading Lesley's post. Strange, they don't know the
actual cause of death, even though it was sudden and unexpected, but they
have it listed as natural causes. I always thought that they were supposed
to do an autopsy in cases like this.

Pam S. nosey

Old June 23rd 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message

When I was a high-school student (early 1970s), I found a medical
handbook on the diagnosis and treatment of poisoning, and carried it
around at high school for a few weeks, leading to a number of raised
eyebrows. Nowadays, carrying such a book in high school would probably
get me kicked out of school and placed on a Homeland Security watchlist.
It wasn't out of a desire to poison anyone, however; I was merely a
science geek.

Nope. You'd just be hanging with the Goths for the rest of your high school
career.

Pam S.

Old June 24th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jun 22, 3:36*pm, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

I work part-time in a second-hand bookshop, and I've found that
consistently the punters who go for gross books on Victorian
surgical techniques, skin diseases illustrated in colour and
failures of cancer surgery are attractive young women.

Well I am neither attractive nor particularly young but I spent 20+
years in medical bookselling so I'd really like to say that's where it
started....only it didn;t... at my first shop we used to sell a colour
atlas of forensic pathology (as an interesting sideline it was a set
text for people studying theatre and film make up- we sold lots that
way) and one of the more juvenile guys on the staff used to delight in
flashing one particularly nasty picture at all new female staff...when
he did it to me I told him I read that book 6 months ago i.e. long
before I started there and I had, which kinda stopped him from doing
it again!

*The most
extreme one we've ever had went so fast I never saw it - one of
my co-workers just saw it was on forensic medicine, opened it at
random at a photo of a foetus stuffed headfirst down a toilet,
priced it and put on the shelves without reading any further.

I've probably got the book at home or one like it- I've got given a
couple of textbooks (As these were about ninety pounds 20 years ago I
couldn't have afforded them- they're withdrawn from medical
libraries)

Then there was the young woman we had working with us for a while
who collected books about castration and had every known retelling
of the Abelard and Heloise story.

Must have made for interesting conversations in tea breaks!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old June 24th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jun 23, 6:53*am, "tanadashoes" wrote:

I read that after reading Lesley's post. *Strange, they don't know the
actual cause of death, even though it was sudden and unexpected, but they
have it listed as natural causes. *I always thought that they were supposed
to do an autopsy in cases like this.

Its' not mentioned in the Wikipedia entry and is generally described
as sudden and of natural causes. A friend of mine who is a major
Asprin fan said when he heard Asprin had died that he'd "had some
health problems" so possibly his doctor does know what killed him but
it isn't mentioned. But you gotta like a guy whom every obituary lists
his surviving family as "His wife, daughter and cat, Princess"

Old June 24th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Lesley" wrote in message

Its' not mentioned in the Wikipedia entry and is generally described
as sudden and of natural causes. A friend of mine who is a major
Asprin fan said when he heard Asprin had died that he'd "had some
health problems" so possibly his doctor does know what killed him but
it isn't mentioned. But you gotta like a guy whom every obituary lists
his surviving family as "His wife, daughter and cat, Princess"

Yup, that made me smile. I want my owners included in my obit when the time
comes.

Pam S.