How can cats make the "rrrr" sound?

Old August 31st 05, 03:05 AM
Cheryl

Default How can cats make the "rrrr" sound?

Rhett, like most cats, has many different sounds. I guess I notice
his more than my others because he's just so very vocal. His
"hungry" sound starts with an "R". *Rrrow* How can a cat do an "R"?
When I do it, it requires the lips to curl up. Do cats have lips?
LOL I can understand when they start their words with an "M". It
starts with a closed mouth. But an "R"?

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

Old August 31st 05, 03:47 AM
Trish

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Rhett, like most cats, has many different sounds. I guess I notice
his more than my others because he's just so very vocal. His
"hungry" sound starts with an "R". *Rrrow* How can a cat do an "R"?
When I do it, it requires the lips to curl up. Do cats have lips?
LOL I can understand when they start their words with an "M". It
starts with a closed mouth. But an "R"?

bit of a babbling brook aren't you, any particular reason?

Old August 31st 05, 04:18 AM
Cheryl

On Tue 30 Aug 2005 10:47:08p, Trish wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
) :

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Rhett, like most cats, has many different sounds. I guess I
notice his more than my others because he's just so very vocal.
His "hungry" sound starts with an "R". *Rrrow* How can a cat
do an "R"? When I do it, it requires the lips to curl up. Do
cats have lips? LOL I can understand when they start their
words with an "M". It starts with a closed mouth. But an "R"?

bit of a babbling brook aren't you, any particular reason?

I guess you didn't read the sign on the door. Anecdotes. If the
story doesn't suit you, or stimulate or make you wonder, or make
you want to tell me what letters your cats say, read on to the next
anecdote. Simple. Good day sir.

Old August 31st 05, 04:50 AM
Kreisleriana

On 31 Aug 2005 02:05:45 GMT, Cheryl
yodeled:

Rhett, like most cats, has many different sounds. I guess I notice
his more than my others because he's just so very vocal. His
"hungry" sound starts with an "R". *Rrrow* How can a cat do an "R"?
When I do it, it requires the lips to curl up. Do cats have lips?
LOL I can understand when they start their words with an "M". It
starts with a closed mouth. But an "R"?

I don't know, but Stinky makes it all the time. Sometimes he just
does the "rrr." When he gets a mousie, he runs back and forth with it
in his mouth, saying "RrrrRRRRRrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRR!"

Theresa
Old August 31st 05, 07:54 AM
jmcquown

Cheryl wrote:
Rhett, like most cats, has many different sounds. I guess I notice
his more than my others because he's just so very vocal. His
"hungry" sound starts with an "R". *Rrrow* How can a cat do an "R"?
When I do it, it requires the lips to curl up. Do cats have lips?
LOL I can understand when they start their words with an "M". It
starts with a closed mouth. But an "R"?

That's a funny question! I never thought about it. Persia is very vocal,
too, but her hungry sound is more like "ma-ma!" She saves the
Rrrowrrrrrrrr! for when she spots another cat out the window.

Jill

Old August 31st 05, 01:58 PM
Ted Davis

wrote:

Rhett, like most cats, has many different sounds. I guess I notice
his more than my others because he's just so very vocal. His
"hungry" sound starts with an "R". *Rrrow* How can a cat do an "R"?
When I do it, it requires the lips to curl up. Do cats have lips?
LOL I can understand when they start their words with an "M". It
starts with a closed mouth. But an "R"?

Cats have lips - all placental mamals cave lips. However, lips aren't
particularly involved in making 'R' sounds - they are mostly involved
with shaping vowels. 'R' - in most English dialects - is made with
the tongue and the roof of the mouth. Cats, however, have a very
different vocal apparatus - human brains interpret the sounds they
actually make in terms of the sounds we make.

--
T.E.D. )
Old August 31st 05, 03:06 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:54:11 -0500, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Cheryl wrote:
Rhett, like most cats, has many different sounds. I guess I notice
his more than my others because he's just so very vocal. His
"hungry" sound starts with an "R". *Rrrow* How can a cat do an "R"?
When I do it, it requires the lips to curl up. Do cats have lips?
LOL I can understand when they start their words with an "M". It
starts with a closed mouth. But an "R"?

That's a funny question! I never thought about it. Persia is very vocal,
too, but her hungry sound is more like "ma-ma!" She saves the
Rrrowrrrrrrrr! for when she spots another cat out the window.

Jill

That's interesting-- it sounds like she says it when she's unhappy.
For Stinky it's a happy/busy/playing noise. And also he does it for
an especially emphatic meow.

Theresa
Old August 31st 05, 05:36 PM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:47:08 -0400, Trish wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Rhett, like most cats, has many different sounds. I guess I notice his
more than my others because he's just so very vocal. His "hungry" sound
starts with an "R". *Rrrow* How can a cat do an "R"? When I do it, it
requires the lips to curl up. Do cats have lips? LOL I can understand
when they start their words with an "M". It starts with a closed mouth.
But an "R"?

bit of a babbling brook aren't you, any particular reason?

Your usual sweet self? MLB
Old September 1st 05, 03:00 AM
Enfilade

That's interesting-- it sounds like she says it when she's unhappy.
For Stinky it's a happy/busy/playing noise. And also he does it for
an especially emphatic meow.

Smokey-poke's "Rrrrrrr" is a prelude to the Smokey-song, which he does
to get attention and irritate us so that we will get out of bed and
feed him. Should we actually ignore the song, he may shut up--or he may
begin outright screaming. The only time of the day we ever hear his
Rrrr's is around 6 am.

The other three don't do R-sounds.

--Fil