Noah's Wish

Old August 31st 05, 03:31 AM
Cheryl

Default Noah's Wish

A group that is doing their best to help rescue abandoned pets and
livestock. All of this is so heartbreaking. I had to think about
something else which is why I started thinking about what letters a
cat can make. Like R's.

Any way, this is a glimmer of hope that not only are people coming
to the aid of people, but coming to the aid of animals. I just wish
American's (or is this true of others? I just don't know) were more
proactive rather than reactive. It just seems like we're always
picking up the pieces rather than trying to prevent catastrophy.
:*(

From noahswish.org http://www.noahswish.org/

1. What do you do about your animals if you are in the path of
Hurricane Katrina?

People in the path of Hurricane Katrina probably do not have time
to be on the internet right now and some may have already lost
power, but still, we wanted to share this information with you.
Unfortunately, at this point Noah's Wish cannot enter evacuated
areas to retrieve animals. If there was anyway we could do this
safely and be allowed by the officials to attempt rescues, believe
us we would, but it is too late.

If you are still at home with your animals it is also probably too
late to evacuate safely. If you feel you could safely evacuate,
then load your animals in a vehicle and start driving North or away
from the storm immediately. For those who cannot leave or have
chosen not to, keep your animals near you. Any animals who wear
collars, put identification on them if you have not already.

If you start to encounter flooding, get yourself and your animals
to as safe a location as possible above the water. Should the
worse case scenario start to play out, free your animals to give
them a fighting chance of surviving on their own."

Please read the rest of their index page. So much info. Purrs to
all.

--
Cheryl
/tears

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old August 31st 05, 04:44 AM

Cheryl wrote:
A group that is doing their best to help rescue abandoned pets and
livestock. All of this is so heartbreaking. I had to think about
something else which is why I started thinking about what letters a
cat can make. Like R's.

Any way, this is a glimmer of hope that not only are people coming
to the aid of people, but coming to the aid of animals. I just wish
American's (or is this true of others? I just don't know) were more
proactive rather than reactive. It just seems like we're always
picking up the pieces rather than trying to prevent catastrophy.
:*(

I'm still agitated over the fact that shelters aren't allowing pets.
Attitudes have changed toward pets. The powers-that-be need to
recognize that and provide at least *some* shelters that allow small
animals. I got drug into the cellar on a regular basis when I was a kid
because my mom was scared of storms. Hell, we not only took the dogs
and cats but we took the parakeet's cage down there too. It was
incomprehensible to me as a kid to leave them in the house. I remember,
very *well* being scared of nuclear war because I was savvy enough to
have read the Civil Defense manual and knew the fallout shelter didn't
allow pets.

Sherry

Old August 31st 05, 05:17 AM
Jo Firey

wrote in message
ups.com...

Cheryl wrote:
[...]

In the best of all possible worlds.

In the real world the definition and behavior of pets varies. As does the
degree of responsibility of the owners.

Last I heard the Superdome was "home" to about 10,000. Part of the roof is
missing and there is no air conditioning and no light. The air is damp and
the floors are slick with moisture. I do not want to imagine what a few
neighborhood pit bulls, several cats, and miscellaneous other pets would add
to the mix.

A shelter can be a pretty ragged place to be. When our neighboring county
was flooded several years ago, many of those evacuated were taken to the
nearby air force base. Now we aren't talking long term here. Just the
first couple of days. The base chapel was used to provide them with
shelter. While they were they, names were carved in the pews, carpets were
peed on and burned with cigarettes. Food was grabbed from volunteers and
them sold to those who weren't close enough and strong enough to get their
own share.

Most people are decent. Some are heroes. But there is still everyone else.

You wonder why this kind of behavior was allowed? Because anyone big enough
and strong enough to stop it was already busy trying to save lives and
prevent other "victims" from preying on each other.

Emergency shelters are set up to provide as much help as possible as quickly
as possible to as many as possible. And it is never enough, it is never
quick enough and it never takes care of everyone.

Jo

Old August 31st 05, 09:35 PM
Shirley

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

Cheryl wrote:
[...]

There are plans to move some of the people to the Astrodome in
Houston.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/3....ap/index.html

--
Shirley
http://community.webshots.com/user/shirleycatuk

Old September 1st 05, 12:56 PM
SuzQ

I found this organization yesterday (8/31) and thought it looked like a
good one. They take Paypal btw.
Suz