Purrs for my friends kitty

Old April 16th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Purrs for my friends kitty

She did not know about Easter Lilys and her husband brought one home
this afternoon at around 1pm. Around 2 her male cat, Foster, came in
and meowed, and threw up. They could see two leaves in the food. She
immediately wondered about the new plant and looked it up and
discovered how toxic they are. She had the cat to the emergency vets
probably within an hour and a half of his having eaten it (they
actually took both cats because not knowing if the girl had eaten it or
not - and she probably hasn't because she did not vomit). So they are
both at the vet and got the charcoal treatment and are on IVs to flush
their kidney's. They will take a blood test around 1 a m 12 hours out
from the first possible ingestion. From everything I read, it sounds
like they have the best possible scenario for this bad situation but
purrs for Foster and Chloe (though Chloe is probably getting this just
for precautions sake so especially Foster) to have gotten it all out
and not have developed any kidney trouble from this. I did think it was
good he had food in his stomach too, as I would expect that had to
absorb some of any sap. Husband feels guilty, she feels like a horrible
cat mommy for not knowing (and this is on top of quitting her job that
she thought was going to be her dream job and turned into the "Academic
political job from hell" on Wednesday). Purrs would be appreciated from
anyone reading the boards this late.

thanks all

Karen

Old April 16th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen wrote:
Purrs would be appreciated from anyone reading
the boards this late.

Well, it's early morning here, and Miranda woke me up at 4.30 as usual,
so we are awake and ready to send emergency purrs for Cloe and
especially Foster. Hope he escaped with his kidneys unharmed.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old April 16th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 23:37:31 -0500, Karen wrote:

[...]

We shall gladly hold a late night purring session for both kitties. May
they have a bright Easter morning. MLB

Old April 16th 06, 09:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen wrote:

She did not know about Easter Lilys and her husband brought one home
this afternoon at around 1pm. Around 2 her male cat, Foster, came in
and meowed, and threw up. They could see two leaves in the food.

Oh, no! Purrs coming from here, loud and clear. Poor boy! I sure hope
he pulls through OK. And that their girl kitty didn't consume any of
the lily plant.

Please keep us updated!

Joyce
Old April 16th 06, 10:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Hi Karen,

This is the second time today (Sunday) that I have read about cats
getting poisoned by lilies. A local woman had to take all three of her
cats to the vet to be treated. They believe that the cats will be ok.
The people who sell the lilies should have warning tags attached to
the pots, or around the top of the plant (how many people look at the
pot when they are buying a plant!) It may save lives.

Patti
Old April 16th 06, 10:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen wrote:
[...]

Mega purrs on the way. There should be a warning where lillies are sold
_all_ varieties are dangerous for cats. :-(
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old April 16th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Purrs on the way.
Ann

see pictures of Sam at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ann791/my_photos
"Karen" wrote in message
She did not know about Easter Lilys and her husband brought one home this
afternoon at around 1pm. Around 2 her male cat, Foster, came in and
meowed, and threw up. They could see two leaves in the food. She
immediately wondered about the new plant and looked it up and discovered
how toxic they are. She had the cat to the emergency vets probably within
an hour and a half of his having eaten it (they actually took both cats
because not knowing if the girl had eaten it or not - and she probably
hasn't because she did not vomit). So they are both at the vet and got the
charcoal treatment and are on IVs to flush their kidney's. They will take
a blood test around 1 a m 12 hours out from the first possible ingestion.
From everything I read, it sounds like they have the best possible

Old April 16th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Many purrs.

We had a lily when we had Nox because Nox would not want to eat a
dirty, dirty plant even if it was within her reach, which it wasn't.

We don't dare risk it now though--Smokey's shown a surprising ability
to get up on places like the fridge and he chews on my ferns, too. So
now it's just not worth it--I couldn't enjoy the lily because I'd be
too busy worrying about the kitties.

--Fil

Old April 16th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Enfilade" wrote in message
oups.com...
Many purrs.

We had a lily when we had Nox because Nox would not want to eat a
dirty, dirty plant even if it was within her reach, which it wasn't.

We don't dare risk it now though--Smokey's shown a surprising ability
to get up on places like the fridge and he chews on my ferns, too. So
now it's just not worth it--I couldn't enjoy the lily because I'd be
too busy worrying about the kitties.

--Fil

Same here. Since I got Rusty, I have given up on poinsettia and Easter Lily.
I used to get them for Christmas and Easter. Not anymore.

Winnie

Old April 16th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Healing purrs for Foster, precautionary purrs for Chloe,
stress-relieving purrs for your friend, and de-guilting purrs for her
husband. He didn't know, and now he does. Feeling guilty will just
tear him apart without helping Foster get better.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully