Chester got skunked - Part II

Old June 7th 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Default Chester got skunked - Part II

Well, I'm glad that I got a few chuckles out of you all for our terrible
plight ;-)

After I wrote, I realized that the smell was toxic and overpowering,
permeating the house. So, I looked online and found the recipe that
Victor also posted and, joy of joys, I had all the ingredients.
Hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, and baking soda.

It was 12:30 AM and I was dead tired.

BUT, I read that the smell can practically permanently destroy your
house so there was no option but to try to bathe him.

So, I assembled all the ingredients and set up shop in our bathroom.
For the first time, I was grateful that we have only a small shower
stall in there with a hard door. Chester purred as I brought him into
the dry shower with me and closed the door.

I soaked the rag with the mixture and started rubbing it into his fur to
make it lather. Lucky for him, he was sprayed on his neck and shoulder,
his favourite scritching spots, so he figured that this was just a new
and more soapy way of scritching. He purred and purred and purred.
Silly cat - I was making him wet and soapy but he didn't seem to mind.
This was going much better than I had expected it to go!

It got slightly trickier when I had to pour glasses of water on him to
rinse but he still was only marginally upset. Wow.

I got him out, dried him off and sniffed deeply. Oh oh. Back in the
shower for round two. He was a little less excited about this but I
managed just fine.

This time, I got him out, dried him off, and was horrified to see him
grooming. No matter how well I rinsed, I knew that there w
vv][============= (----- Otis) would be soap and peroxide residue and
I really hoped that he didn't get sick from it.

Next morning, no Chester. By afternoon, no Chester. OK - now I'm
convinced that he's died in some small corner of the basement, overcome
with post-grooming poisoning.

When he finally showed up at 3:00 PM, I was overjoyed to see him ... and
distressed to find that he still smelled.

We'll do rounds 3 and 4 again tomorrow. I suspect he might not be so
game next time around.

One ******* cat trick from an angel cat once in every 12 years is okay
with me.

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old June 7th 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 7, 12:51*am, Susan M wrote:
[...]

Glad it's better! You're right, a skunk smell can just destroy the
house. It just
permeates into everything, clothing, unsealed food, everything ... You
start
thinking YOU smell skunky too after a while. It also makes me sick.
It's first on my list, the second being "dead mouse I can't find"
smell.

Sherry
Old June 7th 08, 09:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Susan M" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not sure if you will be able to *completely* get rid of the skunk odor.
That is really powerful stuff. You might want to consider shaving Otis. A
lot of people use a lion cut in the summer anyway. I have never done that,
but it's a common procedure.

MaryL

Old June 7th 08, 12:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

MaryL wrote:
"Susan M" wrote in message
Well, I'm glad that I got a few chuckles out of you all for our
terrible plight ;-)

After I wrote, I realized that the smell was toxic and overpowering,
permeating the house. So, I looked online and found the recipe that
Victor also posted and, joy of joys, I had all the ingredients.
Hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, and baking soda.

It was 12:30 AM and I was dead tired.

BUT, I read that the smell can practically permanently destroy your
house so there was no option but to try to bathe him.

I'm not sure if you will be able to *completely* get rid of the skunk
odor. That is really powerful stuff. You might want to consider
shaving Otis. A lot of people use a lion cut in the summer anyway.
I have never done that, but it's a common procedure.

MaryL

I don't think Otis would appreciate that since it was *Chester* who got
skunked! LOL

Jill

Old June 7th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Awwwww.... he's such a sweetheart!

One ******* cat trick from an angel cat once in every 12 years is okay
with me.

I'm surprised Otis has never had that happen to him.

Purrs for you and poor Chester.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 7th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Susan M" wrote in message
[...]

What a sweetheart! I mean for not shredding you, not for getting skunked.
:P Purring that he stays relaxed and lets you do the treatment.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old June 7th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
"Susan M" wrote in message
[...]

LOL! I guess my brain also got skunked.

MaryL

Old June 7th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Susan M wrote:
make it lather. Lucky for him, he was sprayed on his neck and shoulder,
his favourite scritching spots, so he figured that this was just a new
and more soapy way of scritching. He purred and purred and purred.

Awwwww.... he's such a sweetheart!

One ******* cat trick from an angel cat once in every 12 years is okay
with me.

I'm surprised Otis has never had that happen to him.

SSSSHHH, don't give Otis any ideas. He gets into enough trouble without
help.

Pam S. who's surprised that there are no skunks in this area, that we've
ever heard of.

Old June 7th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

tanadashoes wrote:
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message

I'm surprised Otis has never had that happen to him.

SSSSHHH, don't give Otis any ideas. He gets into enough trouble without
help.

Pam S. who's surprised that there are no skunks in this area, that we've
ever heard of.

LOL - we were stunned that it was Chester who got skunked. Then again,
Otis is such a fearless hunter that he might have been the first cat on
record to bring home a *dead* skunk!

Chester was probably just trying to make friends :-)

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old June 7th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

MaryL wrote:

I'm not sure if you will be able to *completely* get rid of the skunk
odor. That is really powerful stuff. You might want to consider
shaving Otis. A lot of people use a lion cut in the summer anyway.
I have never done that, but it's a common procedure.

MaryL

I don't think Otis would appreciate that since it was *Chester* who got
skunked! LOL

Jill

LOL! I guess my brain also got skunked.

MaryL

Otis would *not* be amused. He's got such silky Siamese-type fur that a
lion cut would practically go unnoticed. Our Husky-dog Chester would
*really* look like a lion. We'll have to consider it. He'd probably
appreciate the lightened load since he's too hot most of the summer.

Of course, we'd have to get summer first....raining and cold again today.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Chester got skunked Susan M[_3_] Cat anecdotes 20 June 11th 08 12:41 AM
Owh Chester! Lucy[_2_] Cat community 37 March 13th 08 05:28 AM
Chester!! Lucy Cat community 24 February 18th 08 11:36 PM
Part Lion.. Part Tiger IBen Getiner Cat health & behaviour 7 June 11th 05 03:35 AM
Josi, part Siamese, part Stegosaurus? Rainy-Day-Laughter Cat anecdotes 10 February 1st 04 04:29 PM