Could do with some job purrs (OT)

Old November 7th 10, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Could do with some job purrs (OT)

wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

"Lesley" wrote in message

I used to know a guy who talked endlessly about the same half a dozen
or so topics- his catchphrase was "I don't know if I told you this but
I'll tell you anyway". We were at a party and he started talking to me
when I couldn't hear him so I looked at him and when he paused I
nodded- this lasted for half an hour or so and at no point did he
cottton on that I couldn't hear a word he said

It's funny how some folks are so completely oblivious, isn't it? I
never
meant to offend Fletcher by ignoring him, it's just that nothing he had
say was interesting. Like your guy. Yes, I've heard it before so you
don't
have to tell me again.

One word: iPod. (Jill, you wouldn't need that since you can tune out
talking when you're reading. I can do that if the conversations around me
have nothing to do with me, but if someone was talking to me I wouldn't
be able to tune it out.)

Did you see my post from a few days ago, about my college roommate from
long ago who used to prattle on and on about the plot details of her
soap operas and romance novels? Stereo headphones saved me!

Joyce

John doesn't understand how I can tune things out so completely. I don't
understand it myself but I'm good at it. He'll be watching television while
I'm reading a book and he'll ask, "Did you see that?" See what? Sorry, I
missed it. I was reading. LOL

I would hate to have to listen to someone going on about soap operas. And
romance novels have never been my thing. That must have bugged you!

It used to irritate the hell out of me when I would go on break at work.
I'd sit outside on a bench and some guy would see me reading a book and
assume because I'm a woman it must be a romance novel. Nope, sorry. I like
books where someone gets killed in the first couple of chapters.

Jill

Old November 7th 10, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

John doesn't understand how I can tune things out so completely. I
don't understand it myself but I'm good at it. He'll be watching
television while I'm reading a book and he'll ask, "Did you see that?"
See what? Sorry, I missed it. I was reading. LOL

I would hate to have to listen to someone going on about soap operas.
And romance novels have never been my thing. That must have bugged
you!

It used to irritate the hell out of me when I would go on break at
work. I'd sit outside on a bench and some guy would see me reading a
book and assume because I'm a woman it must be a romance novel. Nope,
sorry. I like books where someone gets killed in the first couple of
chapters.

Jill

Sounds like my hubby when he has his nose in the newspaper or a book. I
could tell him I'm running off with my lover, he'd say ok, and he wouldn't
notice I'm gone until he finished reading his paper. Then he'd wonder
where I was.

Bobble
Old November 7th 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"jmcquown" wrote

It used to irritate the hell out of me when I would go on break at work.
I'd sit outside on a bench and some guy would see me reading a book and
assume because I'm a woman it must be a romance novel. Nope, sorry. I
like books where someone gets killed in the first couple of chapters.

Hehehe! Gotta laugh, I was totally engrossed in a book a bit ago while
looking something up. One of the guys said 'must be a real bodice ripper'.
I started reading out loud on the SQL query for a double left join with a
right inner join. Facinating stuff! Of course, they just laughed. I'm
kinda one of 2 resident geeks and the other one wanders about spouting HTML
code.

What she and I find amusing is only we can tell our 'geeky' printouts apart.
Due to no special reason, all the computer geeks at my place are female.

Old November 7th 10, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

I would hate to have to listen to someone going on about soap operas. And
romance novels have never been my thing. That must have bugged you!

Not just me. This woman was known in the dorm as being a horror to live
with. I didn't mention all sorts of other things - like the unwashed
dishes on the floor with crusted food, left there for weeks. (We had no
kitchen in the dorm, but my roommate had a hot plate.) She was a complete
slob. I wasn't exactly the model of good housekeeping myself, so I didn't
feel like I had the right to complain.

She would also corner people in the bathroom or hallways and make them
listen to her blather. Most people were too polite to brush her off
abruptly, so they'd be trapped.

I only lived with her for one semester, and then I requested a room
change. By a stroke of good luck (which I was certainly due ), I got
a room all to myself - a greatly coveted circumstance. But I took pity
on the next poor woman who'd been assigned to room with the Roommate From
Hell, so I gave up my room to myself and told her she could and *should*
move in with me. I was sorry about this later, because she turned out
to be moody and a little nasty. But she was still nowhere near the
nightmare of the first roommate.

It used to irritate the hell out of me when I would go on break at work.
I'd sit outside on a bench and some guy would see me reading a book and
assume because I'm a woman it must be a romance novel. Nope, sorry. I like
books where someone gets killed in the first couple of chapters.

LOL! Me, too.

I don't think I've ever actually read a romance novel, except maybe a
chapter or two out of curiosity. Well, not a hetero one, anyway. I've
read my share of lesbian romances, which believe me, are just as trashy.

Joyce

--
It is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same.
-- Unknown
Old November 8th 10, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Nov 7, 2:24*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

John doesn't understand how I can tune things out so completely. *I don't
understand it myself but I'm good at it. *He'll be watching television while
I'm reading a book and he'll ask, "Did you see that?" *See what? *Sorry, I
missed it. *I was reading. LOL

Dave and me are exactly the same- he'll be watching telly and he'll
suddenly say "What do you think of this?" and I'll peer at him from
the top of my book and say "What? I'm reading!" He seems stunned that
I wasn't watching telly and reading at the same time

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 8th 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Nov 7, 2:24*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
I'd sit outside on a bench and some guy would see me reading a book
and
assume because I'm a woman it must be a romance novel. *Nope, sorry. *I like
books where someone gets killed in the first couple of chapters.

Many years ago we went to open an account at a video library and as I
was looking round the racks the woman recommended "Kramer Versus
Kramer" because it's such a tear-jerker apparently and a "woman's
movie", you should have seen her face when I told her the truth
"Actually I'm looking for George Romero's "Creepshow""....

Old November 10th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral[_2_]

On Nov 6, 12:51*pm, wrote:
Shiral wrote:

* Heh, *I LOVE my ipod. It's not just tunes, it's a hand-held sanity
* preserving device. I have to share a cubicle with a guy who talks to
* himself, processing everything he IS doing, everything he NEEDS to do
* and everything he HAS done out loud. WIth my iPod playing, I can block
* out the distraction and get my own work done without going verbally
* postal on him.

* Yakkers-- I think there MUST be a circle in hell just for them.

It will be a Silent Retreat for all eternity.

Joyce

--
I don't know that I will ever trust again
It's a price I must pay for all my sins

I like that idea, Joyce!

=o)

Melissa