(OT) USians Unclaimed Property

Old August 9th 11, 09:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) USians Unclaimed Property

Years ago my father saw something on the Today Show about unclaimed
property. ("Property" includes money.) He called me and said, "You have a
computer?" Yes, I do. LOL He thought he had a savings account left from
the 1950's in Ohio when he reinlisted in the Marines after going to college.
So he asked me to search for unclaimed property. I didn't find anything
under his name. Yesterday I was bored so I googled my mother's maiden name
and what do you know? She had an insurance policy with State Farm in
Pennsylvania in the 1940's. And there's unclaimed money. So I filled out a
form online, answered a few questions and the Pennsylvania Treasury
Deparment has processed my request and issued me a check. How cool is that?
Thanks, Mom!

Check out the unclaimed property website for your state. Maybe you have a
long lost family member who left some money hanging around.

Jill

Old August 9th 11, 12:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 8/9/2011 4:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I did that a while back, found US$12 & change from a checking account I
closed way back in the 1980's. That bank didn't exist anymore - it was
"absorbed" by a bigger bank, that was "absorbed" by another bigger bank,
and so on down the line until it became JP Morgan Chase....

If I could remember all the states my parents lived in, I would search
them for unclaimed cash from them, too, but alas, all I remember are
Oklahoma, Mississippi, and Indiana... Yes, dad was military (Air Force),
so we lived in a multitude of places before "settling" back down in
dad's home state of Indiana

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old August 9th 11, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
On 8/9/2011 4:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
Yesterday I was bored so I googled my mother's maiden name and what do
you know? She had an insurance
policy with State Farm in Pennsylvania in the 1940's. And there's
unclaimed money. So I filled out a form online, answered a few
questions and the Pennsylvania Treasury Deparment has processed my
request and issued me a check. How cool is that? Thanks, Mom!

Check out the unclaimed property website for your state. Maybe you have
a long lost family member who left some money hanging around.

Jill

I did that a while back, found US$12 & change from a checking account I
closed way back in the 1980's. That bank didn't exist anymore - it was
"absorbed" by a bigger bank, that was "absorbed" by another bigger bank,
and so on down the line until it became JP Morgan Chase....

Don't you just love the way financial institutions gobble themselves up?
I've only ever had one checking account. But the name of it has changed
half a dozen times since 1982.

If I could remember all the states my parents lived in, I would search
them for unclaimed cash from them, too, but alas, all I remember are
Oklahoma, Mississippi, and Indiana... Yes, dad was military (Air Force),
so we lived in a multitude of places before "settling" back down in
dad's home state of Indiana
--

Yep, Dad moved us around a lot, too. But I remember every single place. As
for this bit of "unclaimed property" I think my mom was a beneficiary on

Jill

Old August 9th 11, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

It's a good idea for everyone to check the unclaimed property list. Each
state publishes *their*
list in the newspaper each year (and on their website)...but if you have
lived in different
states, you would never know.

We were on the list many years ago for a worker's compensation check that DH
had never
received. Then my dad was on it last year for an oil/gas royalty check.
Sometimes the listings
are even for things like unrefunded utility security deposits. My sister and
I thought that was pretty cool, too.
It wasn't that much money, but it *was* unexpected. Are you gonna split it
with your brothers?

Sherry

Old August 9th 11, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I think she was actually the beneficiary of an insurance policy her younger
sister had. Split it with my brothers? Yeah, right. LOL

Jill

Old August 9th 11, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 08/09/2011 09:28 AM, jmcquown wrote:

"Sherry" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

It is a good idea to check it yearly. I have found things for my family
and friends many times. When I found my own name, it was for a dividend
check that had apparently been lost in the mail and I was unaware. When
people move and forget to transfer or claim utility deposits, that is
where they end up too. Best wishes. MLB
Old August 9th 11, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

I worked for an attorney for four years. One of his clients was a man who
had accounts in about a dozen banks. Every year we would write a letter to
each bank, enclosing a $5 deposit to keep the account active. Every year,
at least three or four of the banks had different names from the previous
year.

Joy

Old August 9th 11, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Just so you do it through an OFFICIAL government web-site you contact
directly! Have you noticed how may scams there are out there that offer
some similar benefit, whose only purpose is to get you to share personal
info for purposes of identity theft?

Old August 9th 11, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Just so you do it through an OFFICIAL government web-site you contact
directly! Have you noticed how may scams there are out there that offer
some similar benefit, whose only purpose is to get you to share personal
info for purposes of identity theft?

I'm not that obtuse. I'd like to hope most people here aren't.

Jill

Old August 10th 11, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

Just so you do it through an OFFICIAL government web-site you contact
directly! Have you noticed how may scams there are out there that offer
some similar benefit, whose only purpose is to get you to share personal
info for purposes of identity theft?

I'm not that obtuse. I'd like to hope most people here aren't.

Jill

Still, it's a good warning. Many of those scamming web sites have become
sophisticated and are designed to look exactly like government web sites.
They are not nearly as obvious as the "collect your millions of dollars"
scams that are sent to your mail boxes.

MaryL