Catnip effect?

Old October 12th 03, 12:31 AM
Chakolate

I thought the same thing when I read the reply: "Oops, I meant to post to a
cat group".

:-)

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in
:

Do you know, when replying to Chakolate's post, I thought I was in
another ng, w/ an OT post?! Then your reply reinforced that feeling.
;-)

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
In article ,
Chakolate wrote:

Hi, all,

A quick question if you don't mind.

I give my cats quite a bit of catnip, both fresh and dried. A few
weeks ago, some workmen started sandblasting the house next door,
and one of

my
cats, Pi, got very spooked. He hid all day while they were there,

making
noise with the machines and shouting.

A months after they had finished, he was still very easily spooked.

Even
the little girl who comes to visit scared him. Since her first act
on visiting is always to give the cats treats, they love her and
usually

come
running.

It occurred to me that the catnip may have been exaggerating his

paranoia,
so I stopped it for a while. He became, slowly, his old self
again. He also dropped the extra pound he'd been carrying around.

As a test, I gave him more catnip last night, and he's been hiding
all

day.

Okay, well I guess that wasn't all that quick, :-) , but here's the
question: Has anybody else observed this sort of behavior? Is it

really
the catnip? My other cat hasn't changed a bit, with or without the

catnip.

Hmmmm. I'm harking back to times in my college days when I'd hide in
my room, paranoid and stoned out of my gourd.

Otherwise, I'm of no help to you at all, I'm afraid! Mine don't get
catnip that often.

Priscilla

Chakolate

--

On sadness:
The cure for this ill is not to sit still,

Old October 15th 03, 06:12 PM
Someone Somewhere

Chakolate wrote:

I give my cats quite a bit of catnip, both fresh and dried. A few weeks
ago, some workmen started sandblasting the house next door, and one of my
cats, Pi, got very spooked. He hid all day while they were there, making
noise with the machines and shouting.

My cat goes into hyper alert mode when he's on catnip. The slighest sound from anywhere produces a
reaction normally reserved for when he's spotted prey somewhere, and if you try to poke him or play
with him, he goes crazy and tries to attack you while he's rolling around on his back. Within about
3 minutes, he's completely back to normal, with no apparent behaviour changes for the rest of the day.