Princess Rita and the Evil Bag Monster

Old July 17th 09, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

Default Princess Rita and the Evil Bag Monster

I've read the stories about the EBM, but have never actually had an
owner get caught up by it. Except today.
Rita didn't meet me at the door after work. I was changing in the
bedroom, calling for her, and heard this pitiful little 'mew' in the
closet. Opening the door, Rita was in her favorite spot, looking
freaked, and she ran out and jumped on the bed, followed by this EVIL
Barnes and Noble Bag!!! She was exhausted, and totally upset. I
grabbed the bag, and she jumped off the bed. Her leg caught, but she
fell out of the bag and hid under the bed. I crumpled up the bag (she
howled!) and threw it away, but I couldn't get her out from under the
bed. Then not too long afterwards, I couldn't find her at all! There
was the occasional anguished howl and meow, but I didn't see her run
out, but after 20 minutes of hot sweaty searching, it was obvious she
wasn't in the bedroom, and she wasn't answering when called.

My apartment's not that big!! But it took me half an hour before I
found her crouched miserably behind her cat tree, with the remaining
bag handle wrapped around her torso!! I managed to pick her up and
she fought, howled, hissed, and growled at me, but I got her to my
sewing table and cut the offending handle off. I sat down on the
couch, still holding her tightly (she hates being held), and calmed
her down and checked her over. She is moving around and jumping fine,
so she doesn't seem to be hurt.

How long was she in that closet, waiting for me to come home? How
scared was she? I don't usually leave bags like that around (I read
this group too much), but this one escaped my notice. I feel AWFUL,
like the worst cat mommy ever. The guilt is incredible. I would never
make it as a real mommy, that's for sure.

At least she's okay now.

Jane
- who is trying to figure how more ways to make amends to her poor
Princess Rita
Old July 18th 09, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

tv got over his fear and immediate upset pretty quickly but there is some
residual effect, he NEVER gets on the table to try and inspect groceries
like some of the others do... and it made us better people, the bags go
immediately in the trash, or into a ziploc bag in the closet... Hope both of
you recover soon, Lee

Old July 18th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:41:11 -0700, Jane wrote:

[...]

I had a differnt paper bag experience today: I brought home some
groceries in a large paper bag - it's been a couple of years since I had
one. The bag had held a package of chicken parts. I put the bag on the
floor and waited. It wasn't long until the first one spotted it, and from
then on it was one cat after another in the bag and (usually) a couple of
others sitting outside waiting for ... something, I don't know what.

Fluffy likes to be on paper bags, but not inside them, and besides, whe
can do that while the inside is being used by another cat (who won't
appreciate Fluffy sitting on the mouth of the bag, keeping it closed).

--

T.E.D. )

Old July 18th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Jane" wrote in message
I've read the stories about the EBM, but have never actually had
an
owner get caught up by it. Except today.
Rita didn't meet me at the door after work. I was changing in the
bedroom, calling for her, and heard this pitiful little 'mew' in
the
closet. Opening the door, Rita was in her favorite spot, looking
freaked, and she ran out and jumped on the bed, followed by this
EVIL
Barnes and Noble Bag!!!

Anyone who has pets or children should cut or break the 'handles' on
plastic bags as soon as they get them into the house from the store.

It isn't a bad habit for everyone to get into. Same goes for the
plastic thing that is used to hold a six pack of drinks together.
Those are deadly.

Jo

Old July 18th 09, 07:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

Jofirey wrote:
Anyone who has pets or children should cut or break the
'handles' on
plastic bags as soon as they get them into the house from the
store.

If you do that, how are you supposed to re-use the bag?
(What do you mean, you don't?!!!)

...Same goes for the
plastic thing that is used to hold a six pack of drinks
together.
Those are deadly.

Indeed. I agree.

--
MatSav

Old July 18th 09, 09:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MatSav wrote:

Jofirey wrote:

Anyone who has pets or children should cut or break the
'handles' on
plastic bags as soon as they get them into the house from the
store.

If you do that, how are you supposed to re-use the bag?
(What do you mean, you don't?!!!)

I have one large plastic bag hanging on a hook in the bathroom.
All my used plastic bags go in there, for future reuse. No cat can
get at them, so no traumatic incidents with evil monster bags
chasing poor, innocent kitties.

...Same goes for the
plastic thing that is used to hold a six pack of drinks
together.
Those are deadly.

Indeed. I agree.

I cut all plastic rings, such as the ones that hold milk bottle tops
in place (before the bottle is opened). They're small, but a small
bird could get its beak stuck in it.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 18th 09, 11:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Jofirey wrote:

Anyone who has pets or children should cut or break the 'handles' on
plastic bags as soon as they get them into the house from the store.

It isn't a bad habit for everyone to get into. Same goes for the
plastic thing that is used to hold a six pack of drinks together.
Those are deadly.

Jo

I also squash any cans I throw out, the thought of any animal gettin stuck
in one makes me feel sick.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 18th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

Poor Rita! This is a good warning, though. I put any bags that I think I
will need in a secure location. I also cut through the handles of all
shopping bags (and cut through plastic "retainers" used for water or other
drinks) even before I dispose of them. That is to protect wildlife and
other animals that may come into contact with the bags after they arrive at
the city landfill.

MaryL

Old July 19th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Jul 18, 3:45*am, "Adrian" wrote:

It isn't a bad habit for everyone to get into. *Same goes for the
plastic thing that is used to hold a six pack of drinks together.
Those are deadly.

Solution: Don't buy drinks with them- some drinks come as loose cans
Problem: When it comes to beers- only the better lagers don't come
with the plastic loops
Happy solution to both problems: European Stella Artois in cans has no
plastic loops.....well that's my excuse anyway

I also squash any cans I throw out, the thought of any animal gettin stuck
in one makes me feel sick.

Same here- it's always been something about me that completely puzzles
me. I might find cruelty and violence to Humans objectionable but I'm
far more sensitive to animal suffering. I crush cans because if I
found a dead animal in one I'd be shattered. Last Thursday someone
asked me why I was walking funny- had I hurt my foot? Nope but there
was all those flying ants on the path and I didn't want to stand on
one. The noise a bug makes when it's crushed underfoot makes me
nauseous. Animal cruelty stories in the paper? I've sat in the
middle of my local pub with tears streaming down my face and that was
over a fairly mild story (kittens found abandoned but they had been
rescued and rehomed) you don;t want to see me when it's really nasty

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old July 20th 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
LadyJane

Anyone who has pets or children should cut or break the 'handles' on
plastic bags as soon as they get them into the house from the store.

It isn't a bad habit for everyone to get into. *Same goes for the
plastic thing that is used to hold a six pack of drinks together.
Those are deadly.

I do reuse my plastic bags regularly,but they usually get consolidated
into one bag out of the way. When I use them, the handles are tied
tightly.

I stopped buying six-packs of cans long ago, mostly because I hate
soda in cans, but the few times that something comes with those rings,
I will cut them up before throwing them away.

As a general rule, I'm ashamed at the amount of waste coming from my
apartment, and I try to keep it down to as minimal as possible.
Nowadays that's really hard to do, too.

Jane
- owned and operated by the seemingly recovered Princess Rita