Naughty Kitten pooing on the spare bed

Old October 30th 03, 08:56 AM
Peter

Default Naughty Kitten pooing on the spare bed

I have a 10 month spoilt rotten kitten (well she's more a cat now I
guess) named Jazzi who we rescued from the shelter 6 months ago.

A month ago my partner and I left to go away for 10 days as I needed to
be in Sydney for a wedding. I organised a close friend to look after
Jazzi and house sit so she wouldn't feel too wierd without us being
there.

About half way into the vacation I get a call letting me know she was
pooping in our spare room on the bed. This happened every day for the
next 5 days. We figured it was because we'd been away and she was
****ed off with us. She then did it again about an hour after we got
home, which we again put down to her being upset with us.

We've been home over 2 weeks now and this morning I woke up to find
Jazzi left me another little present on the bed. I don't think it's a
litter tray issue as it is changed regularly and her movement through
the house isn't restricted. We've since closed the door to both
bedrooms so we don't get any repeat performances.

Anyone has a similar experience and able to shed some light on why she
would be doing this?
Old October 30th 03, 05:23 PM
-L.

Peter wrote in message news:301020031956374299%spamfromnewsgroups@chatom atic.net...
I have a 10 month spoilt rotten kitten (well she's more a cat now I
guess) named Jazzi who we rescued from the shelter 6 months ago.

A month ago my partner and I left to go away for 10 days as I needed to
be in Sydney for a wedding. I organised a close friend to look after
Jazzi and house sit so she wouldn't feel too wierd without us being
there.

About half way into the vacation I get a call letting me know she was
pooping in our spare room on the bed. This happened every day for the
next 5 days.

Why didn't the sitter close the bedroom door? Sheesh!

We figured it was because we'd been away and she was
****ed off with us. She then did it again about an hour after we got
home, which we again put down to her being upset with us.

We've been home over 2 weeks now and this morning I woke up to find
Jazzi left me another little present on the bed. I don't think it's a
litter tray issue as it is changed regularly and her movement through
the house isn't restricted. We've since closed the door to both
bedrooms so we don't get any repeat performances.

Anyone has a similar experience and able to shed some light on why she
would be doing this?

It can be a sign of urinary tract infection. It can be behavioral.
Was the cat declawed?

-L.

Old October 30th 03, 06:28 PM
Karen M.

[...]

Hi Peter,

A few reasons come to mind why she might be pooing: worms, some sort
of bowel or anal problem, she did it once and now the "odor" is still
there and she's attracted to that. I'd take her to the vet for a
lookover, to rule out medical. And you can't always see the worms in
her poo, btw. Next, get a product like Nature's miracle and follow the
instructions exactly. It will help remove the odor, even for kitty.
Put something like tin foil over the top of the bed where she's pooing
to discourage her. There's also a product called Dr. Elsey's
CatAttract litter that helps retrain kitties to use the litter box.
It's a little spendier, but certainly better than cleaning up poo!
Use it solo for the first couple of three days, then you can slowly
mix in the regular litter and see if that solves the problem. Good
luck!

Karen M.

Old October 30th 03, 07:20 PM
---MIKE---

You mentioned that "it" is changed frequently suggesting that you only
have one litter box. Try having a second litter box. Some cats prefer
to pee in one and poo in the other. Also, while you were away, was your
friend vigilant about keeping the litter box clean? If not, this might
have started the problem.

-MIKE

Old October 30th 03, 11:41 PM
Peter

In article , -L.
wrote:

Why didn't the sitter close the bedroom door? Sheesh!

The door can't be closed. I've spoken to my landlord who's going to
come have someone fix it.

It can be a sign of urinary tract infection. It can be behavioral.
Was the cat declawed?

I would say it's behavioural. No he isn't declawed. It's only started
since we went away.

Old October 30th 03, 11:44 PM
Peter

In article ,
---MIKE--- wrote:

You mentioned that "it" is changed frequently suggesting that you only
have one litter box. Try having a second litter box. Some cats prefer
to pee in one and poo in the other. Also, while you were away, was your
friend vigilant about keeping the litter box clean? If not, this might
have started the problem.

Yeah it was clean. I replace the litter weekly and she did it while I
was gone. She's not peeing anywhere, just pooing,

I see if I can find the products mentioned previously (but being in
Australia it may not be available). I'd 90% sure it isn't worm related
as we only just wormed her again (doing it ever 2.5 months not every
3). I'll see if the other measures work before taking her to the vet.