Pics: island summer 2009

Old August 5th 09, 09:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Pics: island summer 2009

I've uploaded the pictures I took this summer on the island. There are
lots of pics of M&C, some of Emil and Kasper, and a few of Ronja.

There's also a suite of pictures from a little trip we made to the small
island across from ours, Ersgrund. My sister rowed us over. Though it's
a small island, you'll see there are very varied natural features on it,
if you're interested in that sort of thing. I spotted a chanterelle
underneath the branches of a pine that had branches crawling along the
ground (many trees on that island has pines and spruces crawling along
the ground, probably because of the severe autumn and winter storms).
When we started looking, more and more golden chanterelles appeared
under the branches. We picked them into my sister's sunhat.

Britta doesn't read the ng any more, but if there are any other
mothophobes around, beware. There's one picture of a moth. I just
thought it was so pretty, and it had perched on my door for the day.
There are also a few very unclear bird pictures. And just some seascapes
and our farm of boats. And a lot of pictures of dead trees, which seems
to be this year's theme. I like the look of them. They're so statuesque,
in a way. Nature's artwork.

Hope you enjoy, at least the cat pictures.

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...Island%202009/

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old August 5th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

Default island summer 2009

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

I love the one of Cali in his green, leafy frame.

No pics of grumpy Linus? I fell in love with his PO'd face.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old August 5th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

Its a good thing Mir came home on her own. She blends into things
like that roof to where she could be right in front of you and you
would never see her.

Mir looks a little more substantial than she did. Not 'fluffy' by
any means but a little more sturdy.

And Caliban is still fascinated with water isn't he? He remembers
that he know how to swim but seems to have forgotten that he didn't
enjoy it.

Jo

Old August 5th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Kreisleriana wrote:

No pics of grumpy Linus? I fell in love with his PO'd face.

Oops, I forgot to download them from my phone. He was never around when
I had my camera on me. Here is POed Linus:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...9/Image000.jpg

This might look cute, but it's a lethal trap:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...9/Image002.jpg

Old August 5th 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Jofirey wrote:
Its a good thing Mir came home on her own. She blends into things like
that roof to where she could be right in front of you and you would
never see her.

Yes, she has great camo, and she is also an expert at folding up into a
very small package and disappearing right before your eyes.

Mir looks a little more substantial than she did. Not 'fluffy' by any
means but a little more sturdy.

I know, she's developed some more muscle during the winter. She's always
climbing her cat trees, and also leaping from one tree to another, a
distance of about 2 metres (some 6 feet). She does it just for fun, or
maybe to show off to Caliban, who can't jump that far. The strange thing
was, she hardly climbed any trees on the island. Well, maybe she climbed
a tree to get away from the doxie, and she didn't want to relive the
experience.

And Caliban is still fascinated with water isn't he? He remembers that
he know how to swim but seems to have forgotten that he didn't enjoy it.

Hehe, he loves to make Meowmie's heart leap into her mouth by hanging
over the edge of the jetty with his forepaws dangling almost to the
water and stare down. I have a short clip taken with my phone where he
is lying right on the outer edge of the jetty. Just lying there, looking
at me. I was absolutely sure he would suddenly roll over and fall in. He
didn't.

Old August 6th 09, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Marina wrote:
I've uploaded the pictures I took this summer on the island. There are
lots of pics of M&C, some of Emil and Kasper, and a few of Ronja.

My favorite season is the end of summer, because that's when we get
pictures from the island. I'm glad everyone had fun, Miranda came
back, and Caliban didn't roll into the sea.
Old August 6th 09, 07:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

No pics of grumpy Linus? I fell in love with his PO'd face.

Oops, I forgot to download them from my phone. He was never around when
I had my camera on me. Here is POed Linus:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...9/Image000.jpg

Aww, he doesn't look all that PO'ed.

Joyce

--
The Internet is on computers now! -- Homer Simpson
Old August 7th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
LadyJane

On Aug 5, 4:35*am, Marina wrote:

Hope you enjoy, at least the cat pictures.

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...Island%202009/

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Marina,

I just love your pictures of the cats on the island. I find it just
amazing that you can go away every summer and let them have A WHOLE
ISLAND to wander on and still be safe. They must be in cat heaven
during those times. Not that your place is any less wonderful,
because you are there, too, but still....wow, a whole island. Lucky
babies.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old August 8th 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

LadyJane wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:35 am, Marina wrote:
Hope you enjoy, at least the cat pictures.

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...Island%202009/

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Marina,

I just love your pictures of the cats on the island. I find it just
amazing that you can go away every summer and let them have A WHOLE
ISLAND to wander on and still be safe. They must be in cat heaven
during those times. Not that your place is any less wonderful,
because you are there, too, but still....wow, a whole island. Lucky
babies.

I've been going there for all the summers of my life, so I tend to
forget what a privilege it is. The cats are free to roam, but they tend
to stay near their own homes. Mir and Caliban are surrounded by other
cats' territories - my niece's or brother's cats in the south, my
uncle's cats to the east, my sister's cats to the north, and the sea in
the west - so they prefer to stay near my shack rather than encroach on
other cats' territories. It seems that there are narrow 'corridors'
where they are allowed to pass those territories, so they can sometimes
visit the woods, but they don't go there very often.

The only cat that spends a lot of time in the woods and further away
from the houses is my sister's cat, Ronja. There's also a long isthmus
to the south, where my niece's cat, Emil, spends a lot of time, since
his brofur/half-uncle Kasper turns a bit mean on him on the island.

It is fairly safe for them, yes. I consider traffic and people the worst
enemies of cats, and there are no cars and very few people on the
island. The last time we saw foxes there was over 20 years ago. There is
sometimes a lone sea eagle, who might pose a danger to cats, but they
gnerally only eat fish. Adders are another potential danger, but we
didn't see a single snake this year. Naturally, we always keep our eyes
peeled for any predators (other than the cats themselves).