A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat community
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Looking for a companion

Old August 22nd 16, 03:36 PM

First recorded activity by CatBanter: Aug 2016
Default Looking for a companion

My cat Leo (rescue possibly american shorthair not sure) is pretty aloof and Im thinking of adding a kitten. I like the American Shorthair or the California Spangled so far? I would like to find something with cool markings, that quiet, and semi affectionate.

Leo will only come around about 1.5 hours into a movie or hockey game and If I try to pet him he usually bails. Other than his aloofness he is a great cat, low maintenance.

Suggestions? I was also thinking of possibly a siamese mix but Im striking out here locally in the Midwest. There are no breeders in Minnesota of either Spangled or Shorthairs. When I inquired to siamese breeder about a mix, she seemed offended. I have no problem with mutts in fact I prefer them to avoid all the issues with pure bred animals. Thanks!
Old August 24th 16, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected][_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Looking for a companion

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 2:01:05 PM UTC-4, pomacanthus wrote:
My cat Leo (rescue possibly american shorthair not sure) is pretty aloof
and Im thinking of adding a kitten. I like the American Shorthair or the
California Spangled so far? I would like to find something with cool
markings, that quiet, and semi affectionate.

We added a Maine Coon mix to our menagerie about 3 years ago when we lost one of our cats to a chronic and incurable disease. We needed a kitten which could handle the dogs (Golden and Scottie) yet stand up to our pure-bred Maine Coon (20#) who actually runs the show. We found him at a street fair in Danville, PA - he was a barn kitten with a known mother and suspected father. In any case, he is 17# today and holds his own.

The point of all this is that Maine Coons, mixed or pure, tend to be very laid back cats, yet can handle other animals without losing it. They are also very, very affectionate in-your-face cats when they want to be and they are raised to be.

The single most difficult issue with rescue cats - other than health problems - is that older cats have already-formed personalities that often are not what the rescuer visualizes. Most of them will come around over time, but there is always a period when they are finding their way. And this can last for weeks, even months. Be patient.

Catnip, play and affection are excellent ice-breakers.