Scottish Fold kitten seems lonely or in heat!

Old June 28th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Scottish Fold kitten seems lonely or in heat!

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:00:46 -0400, cindys wrote:

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 05:43:45 -0700, sheelagh wrote:

On 27 Jun, 08:26, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:08:46 -0700, sheelagh wrote:

It taught me a very expensive lesson, & Ringo a very painful one...
Glum
However, I am grateful to be able to say that it was a valuable
lesson to be learnt

What lesson did you learn?

Charlie

That humans are by far the worst predators when it comes to cat abuse.
Very Droll Charlie, very drll ;o)
S;o)

Droll? I am merely being straightforward. Does Ringo still run around
outside, or do you keep him indoors now?

-------
IIRC, Sheelagh went through an awful lot of trouble to build a safe
outdoor enclosure. She spent a lot of time on this group providing
weblinks to different designs and discussing and getting people's
opinions on what type of enclosure would provide the most pleasure and
security for her cats. And she provided weblinks to photos of the
enclosure when it was finished. Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Yes. Thank you for reminding me. I had forgotten about that.

I guess the moral of the story is that it's not a good idea to let one's
cats roam the neighborhood, even in Merry Old England.

But they must be fwee.

Old June 28th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

wrote:
[...]

---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -

This is true.

I had to do it for peace of mind for all of my cats.
Not just the pedigree cats. After all, it was the Ginger Tabby that
was shot, rather than the pedigree ones, which actually suprised
me....
Sheelagh

Old June 28th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 28 Jun, 03:00, "cindys" wrote:
IIRC, Sheelagh went through an awful lot of trouble to build a safe
outdoor enclosure. She spent a lot of time on this group providing
weblinks to different designs and discussing and getting people's
opinions on what type of enclosure would provide the most pleasure and
security for her cats. And she provided weblinks to photos of the
enclosure when it was finished. Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Yes. Thank you for reminding me. I had forgotten about that.

I guess the moral of the story is that it's not a good idea to let one's
cats roam the neighborhood, even in Merry Old England.

Charlie- Hide quoted text -

On 28 Jun, 03:00, "cindys" wrote:
IIRC, Sheelagh went through an awful lot of trouble to build a safe
outdoor enclosure. She spent a lot of time on this group providing
weblinks to different designs and discussing and getting people's
opinions on what type of enclosure would provide the most pleasure and
security for her cats. And she provided weblinks to photos of the
enclosure when it was finished. Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Yes. Thank you for reminding me. I had forgotten about that.

Droll? I am merely being straightforward. Does Ringo still run

around
outside, or do you keep him indoors now?

When I made that comment, I thought you were already aware that we had
built a cat run. It was a terribly painful lesson to learn from Both
Ringo's & our point's of view too. This incident is something that had
*never* happened to any of our cats prior to that incident, so there
was no reason to feel there was any threat to them..

Hence our reason for allowing the adoptive cats to roam in the near
vicinity of our house. Obviously, since Ringo was shot, things have
changed. they had to. I couldn't run the risk of that happening again
to our feline family....

I guess the moral of the story is that it's not a good idea to let one's
cats roam the neighborhood, even in Merry Old England.

Charlie, I think you want me to say this:

It pains me to say this, but increasingly, people are feeling so
threatened by other people/ kids, with regard to their cats, that
they are choosing to ensure that their pets are safe by enclosing them
within our borders of our property.

There are still very few reasons to think that there is any general
threat towards our cats in as far as predators, ( other animals,
rabies, & most of the general threats in the USA that lead most of you
to conclude that indoor life for cats is the best option for them.) I
have already tried explained how abnormal other Brits think it is when
you try to explain why. I can only akin it to telling a Nomad in the
Sahara that he should take better care of his camels in a stable in
case someone or thing might hurt them, or they are being
irresponsible!

If I could explain in words how odd *other people* think it is to do
that over here, I would try to.

You will note that *I* no longer see it as a safe option, unless I
happen to be with my cats on reins. They are allowed our in my garden
via a tunnel into a cat pen which takes up about half of my garden,
because I feel dreadful about taking away their liberty. Maybe others
wouldn't, but I felt the need to give them as much freedom as I could
without putting them @ risk...

However, there is a growing trend of people who are unwilling to take
that chance, & I happen to be one of them. There are not that many of
us that feel this way over in the UK though. It makes me angry that I
should have to go to these lengths, but it is much better than finding
one of feline family dead. The threat is still relatively almost
negligible.. But negligible is too great a threat to me
personally....

I felt it was necessary & best for me & my cat's.

Nevertheless, I would never dream of imposing my point of view on
other cat slaves over here, because I do understand how minuscule that
threat is, & It would be wrong of me to make them feel bad about what
they feel is best for their cat.

I guess the moral of the story is that it's not a good idea to let one's
cats roam the neighborhood, even in Merry Old England.

I have read a couple of comments in this thread that have been
designed & engineered to make "some" Brits rise to the bait.

I see no reason to though.
Why would I?
I have no arguement over this issue....

What you say is actually increasingly true, & also very sad
considering that cats have been allowed freedom for centuries, &
there is no Rabies threat & almost no wildlife threat to them
either. I am sure we will all adapt in time- It's just terribly sad to
have to go to these lengths for fear of our main threat which is
almost entirely, Humans..

Wouldn't you feel the same way if this was the case for you too?
Sheelagh

Old June 28th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 28 Jun, 01:34, bookie wrote:
On 27 Jun, 13:48, sheelagh wrote:

On 27 Jun, 13:06, bookie wrote:

On 27 Jun, 07:08, sheelagh wrote:

On 27 Jun, 01:46, bookie wrote:

( I have just received the last payment from the boy's parent's,
yesterday- About time too!!...I'm just glad I don't have to even speak
to them anymore. I feel no sorrow for them @ all- after all, I had to
find the money to pay it before they even admitted liability. It makes
me sick to think about it!)

i hope they had to pay interest on that too since you will have lost
interest form your money not being inthe bank or even more so if you
had to take out a loan to pay the vet and therefore incurred fees and
interest etc to pay it back.

you should never feel sorry for these people, it is their own bloody
fault they have not boethered to educate their nasty offspring
properly and therefore they now have to pay the price for this,
literally, just wish the bill was much higher. I don't think any
punishment for those horrible vicious little *******s will veer really
be enough for what they did to poor ringo, i hope those kids rot in
hell i really do
i hope they had to pay interest on that too since you will have lost
interest form your money not being inthe bank or even more so if you
had to take out a loan to pay the vet and therefore incurred fees and
interest etc to pay it back.u should never feel sorry for these people, it is their own bloody

If only!!

fault they have not boethered to educate their nasty offspring
properly and therefore they now have to pay the price for this,
literally, just wish the bill was much higher. I don't think any
punishment for those horrible vicious little *******s will veer really
be enough for what they did to poor ringo, i hope those kids rot in
hell i really do

I don't Bookie. I hate them with passion, but I hate myself even more
for allowing them to get to him.....
& you and I both, hope they rot in hell!

It taught me a very expensive lesson, & Ringo a very painful one...
Glum
However, I am grateful to be able to say that it was a valuable lesson
to be learnt- Hide quoted text -

why shoudl you have to learn a lesson? that youi should not be able to
enjoy your own freedom with your cats in your own neighbourhood? the
only lesson that coudl be learnt from this is that you cannot leave
anything to the british justice system which is crap, these nasty kids
should have been slapped with some more than just their parents having
to foot the bill, especially considering previous behaviour.

did you go to the local pres abotut them? you should have done you
know, you shoudl have named and shamed them and their cretinous
parents who obviously are nto fit to bring up kids.- Hide quoted text -

I had no need to Bookie. The family that lost Wizard went to them and
reported the incident & their utter outrage. They came here to confirm
that this in fact did happen to Ringo. & as far as humiliation goes,
there was no need to do anything there either. The family is held in
contempt by most of the village now. They don't forget things like
that around here in a hurry. My guess is that they move in the next 6
months, judging by the for sale sign outside
BIG Grin
S;o)- Hide quoted text -

good, and i hope that their horrible children continue to ensure they
get hounded out of every place they try to settle in, that will teach
them to not bother bringing up their disgusting spawn properly. A good
slap when they were younger would have sorted those kids out and
taught them what is right and what is wrong from an early age by
simople use of conditioning and negative reinforcement (ie you do
something bad you get a slap, you dont do anything bad you dont get a
slap, simple really, so simple I am sure even those retards coudl
learn it).

I bet they did the old 'reasoning with the kids' crap when the kids
were very little and far too young to be reasoned with? very young
kids just need to know the boundaries of what is acceptable and what
is not, they cannot work it out for themselves when they are 2 or 3
years old as they have no 'theory of mind' at that age and their whole
world revolves around their own pleasure and enjoyment. Very small
kids don't give a thought about anyone else or their feelings, they
have not developed cognitively enough to be able to do that yet, they
are very egocentric. By failing to do this with their kids at a young
age these people have basically failed their kids as they now have no
notion of how to behave decently in modern society or how to function
properly around other people either.

tell me when they are actually in the process of moving out of their
house and I will happily come round and throw eggs at them, run them
out of town in the old-fashioned way, maybe a burning tyre round the
neck for the kids?

i still hope they burn in hell, even if they are moving out.- Hide quoted text -

I don't think we need to. My kids tell me that the boys have paid
quite dearly for what they have done already, hence the decision to
move, & asap. It would seem as the price of the house has gone down in
price twice in two months already!!

Personally, I feel the old method is still the best one.
Stick them in the stocks in the middle of the Village green, where you
can buy rotten eggs & tomatoes to pelt them with.

It gives us all ( the whole Village), a chance to express our feelings
in a none violent way, but humiliates them & it is something that
they would never forget to the end of their days as well.

You know how cruel kids can be when it pleases them, & In this
instance I think it might possibly be far more effective than the
burning tyre method, (however tempting it feels;o)

These lads really have paid dearly for what they did. They became
known as the cat-Bashers, Have no friends anymore & very few people
have time to speak to the Family in general. I think that is why they
decided to move & try & have make a new start. Much as I hate what
they did to our Ringo, &, I do find it hard to find forgiveness...I
have to be honest when I tell you that the whole family paid for what
thier boys did to him. When you live in a small village, life is like
that.

Had Ringo not made it through that incident, I might feel differently,
as do Wizard's Family (who now have Paddy, the Bi-colour, Paddy, we
had), But Ringo is ok now, & they did pay for it in money and kind,
believe me?!!

I can't forgive them, but I can move on, simply because I have to.
The worst part was loosing faith in humanity, & having to take some of
the cats liberty away from them. It broke my heart to have to do that,
but I couldn't go through that again, so I felt I had no choice.
It's sad really, isn't it?
Sheelagh

Old June 28th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Wow, wtf are you guys talking about? I thought this was about my cats.
Chill out, take this conversation elsewhere.

Old June 28th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 28 Jun, 18:04, "
wrote:
Wow, wtf are you guys talking about? I thought this was about my cats.
Chill out, take this conversation elsewhere.

Your right.
This is neither the time nor the place to debate this issue.
Smile & chilling down fast, Lol

I offer my apologies for allowing this issue spill over into your
post.
I would like to hope that others do too!

How did you get on @ the vets when you took Rofl & Beowulf the other
day.
I hope that it went well & that you had a possitive outcome, with good
suggestions as to how to cope with Rofl's timidness?

It would be interesting to hear what their advice was?
Thank you,
sheelagh

Old June 28th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote in message
ps.com...
Wow, wtf are you guys talking about? I thought this was about my cats.
Chill out, take this conversation elsewhere.

-------
Usenet groups are public, and threads do tend to go off on tangents. The
incident with Ringo's being shot was a really huge deal, and a major topic
for conversation on this group for several weeks. The group (as a whole) had
many strong feelings then and continues to have strong feelings now about
what happened to Ringo. If you want a private conversation, then use e-mail,
but otherwise, you can't tell people on a public newsgroup to take a
conversation "elsewhere" particularly when the conversation is totally
on-topic (of cat health and behavior).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old June 28th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Meanwhile.......
things have kinda taken a turn for the worse with the kittens.

See, Beowulf is the excited, exploratory kind of tomcat, who will jump
on anything, play with you whenever you want, let you touch/pet/hold
him. Newly named Rofl (the scottish fold), is still as skittish as
ever. She's been getting up, running around, having a blast with
Beowulf; but it seems Beowulf is adopting her sense to run away
whenever we go to touch him in any way.
If you get too close to her, she'll immediately high-tail it for the
bedroom down the hall and hang out under the very hard to access
platform bed, until much later (usually a matter of hours), whereas
Beowulf will just run from you until you give up, he won't even hide.

I am tempted to keep them blocked off from the bedroom where it seems
their safe haven is, if only to limit the number of hiding spaces they
have to get away from us whenever they want.
Beowulf I'm not too concerned about, he'll be fine...he's too
adventurous and affectionate to not be. But Rofl...I have to chase her
around sometimes to get her to let me pick her up and pet her for a
while. She still struggles while being pet; I even had her in my lap
for a good 30 minutes straight the other night, she tried to get away
probably once a minute, every minute, for 30 minutes. Does this mean
she isn't a lapcat or am I expecting too much, considering we've only
had them 4 days?

She just basically doesn't want to be touched, held, or pet...yet. She
will immediately bolt for a safe spot so she doesn't have to deal with
it. I can't in good conscience let her run away every time someone
wants to be physical with her.
She doesn't whine or cry any more when we're not around, so that's
progress.

Old June 28th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On Jun 28, 1:04 pm, "
wrote:
Wow, wtf are you guys talking about? I thought this was about my cats.
Chill out, take this conversation elsewhere.

Usenet doesn't work like that, and the persons who starts a thread has
no special rights or powers when it comes to controlling the direction
of it. The conversation goes where it goes.

Lis