Scottish Fold kitten seems lonely or in heat!

Old June 29th 07, 09:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

Default Scottish Fold kitten seems lonely or in heat!

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:16:34 -0700, bookie wrote:

On 28 Jun, 07:11, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:34:39 -0700, bookie wrote:

tell me when they are actually in the process of moving out of their
house and I will happily come round and throw eggs at them, run them
out of town inthe old-fashioned way, maybe a burning tyre round the
neck for the kids?

i still hope they burn in hell, even if they are moving out.

Hmmmm. Have you ever heard of the MMPI, Bookie? Its a personality
test, consisting of several hundred true/false items, often taken while
wearing blue pajamas and paper slippers. You might look into it, as a
way of learning more about yourself.

Charlie

i know myself very well thank you, and i know i do not need to resort to
nasty sly little comments such as this one form you to feel good about
myself

What do you expect? I've been reading your posts for several months.
You are intelligent and much of what you write is good common sense.
But, at the same time, it's hard not to notice that violent/morbid
fantasies are a recurring theme with you, one that goes well beyond what
I would consider normal. It piques my curiosity the same way a car
accident might.

Here are some pictures that show what happens when someone has a burning
tire put around their neck:

http://www.africancrisis.org/photos11.asp

Is this something you'd like to bring into your life?

Charlie

Old June 29th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 29 Jun, 00:13, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:33:59 -0700, sheelagh wrote:

Personally, I feel the old method is still the best one. Stick them in
the stocks in the middle of the Village green, where you can buy rotten
eggs & tomatoes to pelt them with.

Good grief. You see, Sheelagh, this is why I think the U.K. is a
backwards culture... your years of glory are past, so you have a
nostalgia for the era when Brittania ruled the waves and petty criminals
were hanged for stealing a loaf of bread, or perhaps if the king
intervened sent to a prison hulk to await transportation to Australia.

Charlie

Good grief. You see, Sheelagh, this is why I think the U.K. is a
backwards culture... your years of glory are past, so you have a
nostalgia for the era when Brittania ruled the waves and petty criminals
were hanged for stealing a loaf of bread, or perhaps if the king
intervened sent to a prison hulk to await transportation to Australia.

Have you never heard of people who prefer to use non violent means of
protest before Charlie?
It would seem not going by your last couple of posts, It would appear
not.

I don't recall mentioning anything at all about glory years of any
empire, let alone the British one?? Neither do I recall motioning
criminals, pilfering, Kings or criminals being sent to Australia?
( who has a pretty tight immigration laws I might add!! In fact, if
you have a criminal record, you can pretty well write off the
intention of migrating there...)

FYI I was *trying* to make light of a situation that I can assure you
was not in the least funny. Inside I feel a boiling anger. However, I
am intelligent enough to realise that whatever I feel has no baring in
relation to reality. It's happend, I have learnt the hard way from the
situation, I have done what I feel is right for my cats.

If you feel this is the wrong thing to do, I would like to hear your
reasons why?

Yes, that is how they dealt with petty criminals, But as *you* point
out in your earlier post, putting burning rubber tyres around peoples
necks is a pretty serious thing to do. If you think that this is how I
should deal with the situation, then just say So.
Personally, I understand Bookie's outrage, but I couldn't do something
like that myself & wouldn't either.

If anything, I don't think it would matter what I said, you are
determined to try and make me rise to the bait about your derogatory
remarks about the the British & the UK, which I have avoided becoming
entangles with, because some of the things that you say, I actually
agree with!
( all be they small issues)

Please don't pull me into something that I have made no issue over.
If I had, I would understand why, but I haven't. so, please do explain
your motive behind your comments?
Sheelagh

Old June 29th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote in message
ps.com...
Meanwhile.......
things have kinda taken a turn for the worse with the kittens.

See, Beowulf is the excited, exploratory kind of tomcat, who will jump
on anything, play with you whenever you want, let you touch/pet/hold
him. Newly named Rofl (the scottish fold), is still as skittish as
ever. She's been getting up, running around, having a blast with
Beowulf; but it seems Beowulf is adopting her sense to run away
whenever we go to touch him in any way.
If you get too close to her, she'll immediately high-tail it for the
bedroom down the hall and hang out under the very hard to access
platform bed, until much later (usually a matter of hours), whereas
Beowulf will just run from you until you give up, he won't even hide.

I am tempted to keep them blocked off from the bedroom where it seems
their safe haven is, if only to limit the number of hiding spaces they
have to get away from us whenever they want.
Beowulf I'm not too concerned about, he'll be fine...he's too
adventurous and affectionate to not be. But Rofl...I have to chase her
around sometimes to get her to let me pick her up and pet her for a
while. She still struggles while being pet; I even had her in my lap
for a good 30 minutes straight the other night, she tried to get away
probably once a minute, every minute, for 30 minutes. Does this mean
she isn't a lapcat or am I expecting too much, considering we've only
had them 4 days?

She just basically doesn't want to be touched, held, or pet...yet. She
will immediately bolt for a safe spot so she doesn't have to deal with
it. I can't in good conscience let her run away every time someone
wants to be physical with her.
She doesn't whine or cry any more when we're not around, so that's
progress.

You'll never, ever, ever get a cat to come to you if you forcibly restrain
her. Cats are notoriously independent and form an aversion to people who
try to bend them to their will. And it you take away their hiding place
they will only become more and more skittish and afraid - they need that
save haven in order to feel confident enough to explore (which, at first) is
usally done at night while you're sleeping). Perversly, the best way to get
a cat to come to you is to totally ignore them (that's actually correct
etiquette in cat body language - just watch how two cats interact, how they
turn their faces away from each other). 4 days is nowhere near long enough
for a cat's introduction to a new home. It usually takes upwards of two
weeks, but should always go at the cat's pace, not yours.

HTH, HAND

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 29th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 29, 10:30 am, "CatNipped" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Finally, some helpful words. Thank you. I've been doing just that,
even before you mentioned it. Sometimes I can be really impatient and
I wasn't sure what would be considered acceptable with kittens in this
respect. I've never had a kitten before, so mind me. I'm just going to
continue ignoring her and hope that she comes around.
Thanks again.
I hope the rest of you can settle your tension in a healthy fashion;
it's pretty sick what you guys are getting into with this
conversation. With such complete disregard for any other people (and
concerned people such as myself). You shouldn't even be on the
internet. Go outside and argue with a fire hydrant, it'll probably be
more willing to deal with your BS than anyone on the internet will.

Old June 29th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

I wasn't sure what would be considered acceptable with kittens in this
respect. I've never had a kitten before, so mind me. I'm just going to
continue ignoring her and hope that she comes around.

If it is a very young kitten, 6 - 10 weeks old, that's a different story -
they need to be handled a lot at that age to get them used to people. But
after that you need to take a totally different approach as I outlined in my
last post.

Also, what may help to acclimate her is to use a wand-type, feathered "cat
teaser" to play with her (a plastic stick with a long piece of leather
attached to that and a group of feathers attached to the end of the
leather). The feathers will be distant enough from you so that she doesn't
feel threatened, but the more she plays close to you, the more comfortable
she will be with you. What I usually do with new cats is shove the wand of
the toy in my waistband and just walk around the house with the feather
dragging behind me. When the cat looks at you, you are facing away from her
and are non threatening, but they can't seem to resist that dragging
feather.

snip

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 29th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On Jun 28, 4:40 pm, "
wrote:
Usenet doesn't work like that, and the persons who starts a thread has
no special rights or powers when it comes to controlling the direction
of it. The conversation goes where it goes.

Lis

That's fine but if any of you have ever posted online anywhere (forums
particularly), one should be very familiar with the codes of conduct.
When a thread is started of a particular topic and the topic
disappears or turns into something else entirely, the thread is shut
down. These people, and you, are becoming angry as far as I can tell
and alls I need is some help with my freaking kittens.

This is an unmoderated Usenet newsgroup--not a web forum such as you
may be more familiar with. Topic drift happens all the time, and it's
especially likely when there's an existing community of regular
posters, and an emotionally charged event that has affected the
regulars recently.

And, really, it's not all that productive to _demand_ helpful
perverse and stubborn as cats.

Lis

Old June 29th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:33:59 -0700, sheelagh wrote:

Personally, I feel the old method is still the best one. Stick them
in the stocks in the middle of the Village green, where you can buy
rotten eggs & tomatoes to pelt them with.

Good grief. You see, Sheelagh, this is why I think the U.K. is a
backwards culture... your years of glory are past, so you have a
nostalgia for the era when Brittania ruled the waves and petty
criminals were hanged for stealing a loaf of bread, or perhaps if the
king intervened sent to a prison hulk to await transportation to
Australia.

Have you never heard of people who prefer to use non violent means of
protest before Charlie?

I'm not 100% convinced that pelting people with rotten eggs is non-
violent. It's less violent than a flaming tire around the neck, that I
will grant you.

It would seem not going by your last couple of posts, It would appear
not.

I don't recall mentioning anything at all about glory years of any
empire, let alone the British one?? Neither do I recall motioning
criminals, pilfering, Kings or criminals being sent to Australia?

No. But you described a punishment that was roughly contemporary with
the era of transportation beyond the seas, so I drew the connection.

Yes, that is how they dealt with petty criminals, But as *you* point out
in your earlier post, putting burning rubber tyres around peoples necks
is a pretty serious thing to do. If you think that this is how I should
deal with the situation, then just say So. Personally, I understand
Bookie's outrage, but I couldn't do something like that myself &
wouldn't either.

But you would like to put them in stocks and pelt them with rotten eggs,
right?

If anything, I don't think it would matter what I said,

No, you're wrong about that. What you say determines how I will respond,
i.e., whether I will take you seriously or treat you as a comic buffoon.

you are
determined to try and make me rise to the bait about your derogatory
remarks about the the British & the UK, which I have avoided becoming
entangles with, because some of the things that you say, I actually
agree with!
( all be they small issues)

Please don't pull me into something that I have made no issue over. If I
had, I would understand why, but I haven't. so, please do explain your
motive behind your comments?

See above.

Charlie
Old June 29th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 28 Jun, 19:03, sheelagh wrote:
On 28 Jun, 18:04, "

wrote:
Wow, wtf are you guys talking about? I thought this was about my cats.
Chill out, take this conversation elsewhere.

Your right.
This is neither the time nor the place to debate this issue.
Smile & chilling down fast, Lol

I offer my apologies for allowing this issue spill over into your
post.
I would like to hope that others do too!

How did you get on @ the vets when you took Rofl & Beowulf the other
day.
I hope that it went well & that you had a possitive outcome, with good
suggestions as to how to cope with Rofl's timidness?

It would be interesting to hear what their advice was?
Thank you,
sheelagh

On 26 Jun, 13:26, "
wrote:
On Jun 26, 8:20 am, sheelagh wrote:

On 25 Jun, 19:43, "

wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:40 pm, "

wrote:
Hey thanks for the response!
I think you're right. She actually only seems to cry a lot when she's
left alone in the room. I think she's had people and other kittens
around her since her birth so being alone is very new to her. She only
eats when someone's in the room too. I wanted to show this video that
I took this morning of her eating. mind the poor quality (requires
QuickTime), but listen to the noise she makes when she eats! it's
adorable!

oops, forgot to include the link!http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/phot...ad02355cde.3gp...

The noise she is making is usually associated with an experience of
having to fight for her food. A *lot* of the kittens that we foster
make a similar noise to the one that your Kitty displays. Perhaps it
is possible that she is the runt of the litter and had to fight for
her food, or that someone has teased her in the past by taking her
food away from her??

Same as Bookie, I wouldn't be too concerned about her not wanting to
come out just yet. I have also had a Ragdoll adult who displayed the
same behavior when we first got him. It took a couple of weeks for him
to decide that we could be trusted. All he ever came out for was to
use the cat litter in the same room as him, & eat and drink too.

The very fact that she trust you enough to come out & eat in your
presence, is enough for the first couple of weeks. However, if it
continues for more than 3weeks or so, it might be worth taking her to
see a vet who might be able to give you advice regarding this matter.
Remember, she is only a small baby & this is the first time that she
has ever left home and is probably lonely and frightened.

I have a feeling that the best solution to this problem, might be to
get another kitten from a rescue centre perhaps if this is
possible? )

It would solve her loneliness and you would be giving a kitty/ cat the
one thing they don't have @ a shelter, which is a Future.
Unfortunately, so many are killed every where & all they require is
love, injections and feeding, & they will repay you a thousand
fold....
( And this advice is coming from an ex breeder of Birmans and Ragdolls
by the way!!)

She looks lovely by the way. I hope that she brings you love and Joy,
& It would be really nice if you kept in touch with us to let us know
how she is doing please?
Many thanx,
Sheelagh

Thanks for the kind response
Oh that's good to hear about the eating thing, i had a feeling it was
something like that.

On 29 Jun, 15:46, "
wrote:
On Jun 29, 10:30 am, "CatNipped" wrote:

wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

more willing to deal with your BS than anyone on the internet will.- Hide quoted text -

I will definately bare that in mind for the future.

wrote:
Wow, wtf are you guys talking about? I thought this was about my cats.
Chill out, take this conversation elsewhere.

Your right.
This is neither the time nor the place to debate this issue.
Smile & chilling down fast, Lol

I offer my apologies for allowing this issue spill over into your
post.
I would like to hope that others do too!

I am genuinely sorry that you feel this way as you have already
seen....

I will definately bare that in mind for the future.

I very much hope that Rofl & Beowulf will sort out their differences

Cat Nipped has provided excellent advice, & I hope that you heed it
because it will work. You have only to think of it from a cat's point
of view to see that she is spot on. If this is your 1st cat, then you
did the right thing by coming to the place where you will get the good
advice that you need.

I wish you all the best with your new slave drivers & look forward to
more instalments on the life and times of Rofl & Beowulf
Sheelagh

Old June 29th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Jun 29, 3:15 pm, sheelagh wrote:
I will definately bare that in mind for the future.
I will definately bare that in mind for the future.

**definitely**
**bear**

Don't you have a spellchecker?

Old June 29th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

wrote:
[...]

Charlie- Hide quoted text -

SIGH

Have you never heard of people who prefer to use non violent means of
protest before Charlie?

I'm not 100% convinced that pelting people with rotten eggs is non-
violent. It's less violent than a flaming tire around the neck, that I
will grant you.

Thank you!
You might want to note that I didn't bring up burning tyres @ all.

I see my attempts to make light of a horrible situation are wasted
here, on you.

I won't deny that I still feel outrage at what happened. I would be
lying if I told you otherwise. I was trying to make light of a
horrendous experience for which both Ringo and us too, went through by
*my own fault*. I wasn't asking for your support or sympathy. It was
a mistake, which is something all humans make.. they Er..

I have learnt by that terrible day, & do not see anything that I can
do now that will change what happened. I only count myself lucky to
still have Ringo.

Perhaps my way of dealing with this whole issue is not what you find
appropriate? However, I can assure you that all I was trying to get
you to see, was that I don't feel that lowering myself to violence,
simply isn't how I would deal with it.

Actually, I wasn't thinking of how you personally, would feel at all!

You were not here, you did not deal with the aftermath, & nor did you
have to live with what happend either. If you think an attempt at
satire is wholly inappropriate, then so be it.
Do you seriously think in this day & age that this would actually
happen?

Of course it wouldn't!!

Anyway, it is not for you to forgive, is it?

It would seem not going by your last couple of posts, It would appear
not.

You have been gunning for me all the way through this thread

I don't recall mentioning anything at all about glory years of any
empire, let alone the British one?? Neither do I recall motioning
criminals, pilfering, Kings or criminals being sent to Australia?

No. But you described a punishment that was roughly contemporary with
the era of transportation beyond the seas, so I drew the connection.

I see. But as it is not the case, then it is irrelevant, isn't it?

Yes, that is how they dealt with petty criminals, But as *you* point out
in your earlier post, putting burning rubber tyres around peoples necks
is a pretty serious thing to do. If you think that this is how I should
deal with the situation, then just say So. Personally, I understand
Bookie's outrage, but I couldn't do something like that myself &
wouldn't either.

But you would like to put them in stocks and pelt them with rotten eggs,
right?

No, you said "right"?

It is inappropriate, & would never happen at all.
I was trying to calm a volatile situation down.
I hate confrontation.
I am upset by your remarks which I honestly feel are unjust, uncalled
for.
Have you never been caught in the middle of a situation that you would
dearly wish to calm down?
Have you ever felt the need to stop friends arguing?

because that is how I felt @ the time

If I had said Sod you, & called you a few choice names, then I would
see where this attack is coming from. But, I haven't; I never have, &
never thought I would have to defend myself or explain myself to you
in particular.

If anything, I don't think it would matter what I said,

No, you're wrong about that. What you say determines how I will respond,

I would like to think you are correct, but after this attack for no
reason..
What would you think?
Please do read your own remarks back to yourself & put yourself in my
position...

( I certainly don't understand why you are treating me as an object of
your ridicule)

i.e., whether I will take you seriously or treat you as a comic buffoon.

Why say this?
How uncalled for is that?
Did I tell you that it was appropriate to leave your cat next to a
storm drain, or that we don't have that sort of problem over here?
I think not.

*Since when have I ever given you reason personally to treat me as
such?

I thought you were a decent man who saw things as they are, with fair
judgment & a reasonable character.
What have I ever done to you to attack me in this fashion?

Have you never made a mistake?

I feel that I have taken every possible care to ensure that this
situation never reoccurs to any of my cats again, ever. What more can
I do for you, or them?

How can you judge me by how other people feel, because this is where
this came from? I have no control over how other people feel. It is
rather like shooting the messenger that brings you bad news.

you are
determined to try and make me rise to the bait about your derogatory
remarks about the the British & the UK, which I have avoided becoming
entangles with, because some of the things that you say, I actually
agree with!
( all be they small issues)

Perhaps I am wrong?
Please tell me that I am not?

Please don't pull me into something that I have made no issue over. If I
had, I would understand why, but I haven't. so, please do explain your
motive behind your comments?

I still don't see the motive behind this very personal attack, or the
comments either, other than to make me the butt of your personal
humour?
See above.