Buffy licked the bird feeder

Old February 24th 19, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Buffy licked the bird feeder

I had to bring the bird feeder inside tonight. I heard a chittering
sound which could only mean one thing. Raccoons. Sure enough, when I
flipped on the outside lights there was a raccoon on the patio.

I don't mind if they eat fallen bird seed on the patio or the ground
around the patio. But I've had enough of raccoons ripping bird feeders
to pieces over the years. So I brought it inside.

I set the feeder just inside the door in the living room. It's been
slightly dewy outside tonight. I caught Buffy licking the top of the
bird feeder. The dew? But then she started licking at the bird seed in
the base, too. Nope! Not for you!

I put the feeder in the enclosed garage for the night. Funny how she
doesn't pay much attention to the birds but she was interested in the
feeder. It't not the first time I've brought it inside and set it in
that same spot. It is the first time she ever licked the feeder like that.

Jill
Old February 24th 19, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jes Me

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:16:21 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

I've had a LOT of cats over the years, and they can develop the
strangest eating habits.

Old February 27th 19, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 2/25/2019 6:37 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
[...]

If you wanted her to eat it she wouldn't on principle.

Judith

I hadn't thought about that, Judith, but you're absolutely right.

She's still pretending to be mad at me for going to work. I *know*
she's out and about when I'm gone. She loves her golf ball and some
specific toys. I have noticed, upon returning home, some of them have
been batted around and moved during the day. Don't pretend to me you're
not doing anything when I'm gone. LOL

She may look like she's been snoozing at the end of the bed all day but
hmmm, the dry kibble bowl is empty, litterbox used and toys have been
moved.

I change my clothes, scoop the box, refill the kibble and give her lots
of scritches. I play with her. She still gets upset because I'm a
little tired and would like to unwind without swinging a toy mousie at
the end of a fishing wand around. Or constantly chasing the golf ball.
I'm not into an hour long toy fest. But it's okay, because she suddenly
realizes she didn't sleep all day, either. She goes off to take a nap.

Jill
Old March 4th 19, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tina[_2_]

On 24/02/2019 02:16, jmcquown wrote:
I had to bring the bird feeder inside tonight.Â* I heard a chittering
sound which could only mean one thing.Â* Raccoons.Â* Sure enough, when I
flipped on the outside lights there was a raccoon on the patio.

I don't mind if they eat fallen bird seed on the patio or the ground
around the patio.Â* But I've had enough of raccoons ripping bird feeders
to pieces over the years.Â* So I brought it inside.

I set the feeder just inside the door in the living room.Â* It's been
slightly dewy outside tonight.Â* I caught Buffy licking the top of the
bird feeder.Â* The dew?Â* But then she started licking at the bird seed in
the base, too.Â* Nope!Â* Not for you!

I put the feeder in the enclosed garage for the night.Â* Funny how she
doesn't pay much attention to the birds but she was interested in the
feeder.Â* It't not the first time I've brought it inside and set it in
that same spot.Â* It is the first time she ever licked the feeder like that.

Jill

Now I have inside cats for the first time, I'm anxious that they don't
get bored, so my family bought me a bird feeding station for Christmas.
One of those that looks like a steel tree that you sink in the ground.
It came complete with seed feeder, peanut feeder, fat ball feeder, flat
suet slab feeder, mesh tray for birds that can't cling to feed, and a
tray for water. It's a great present for me, as what makes my cats
happy makes me happy too.
Nelli spends at least an hour a day, sometimes more, on her bedroom
windowsill birdwatching. Garfie has not noticed it yet unfortunately,
she prefers to sleep. That's her hobby, sleeping. I've been up for 18
hours several times, and she's never moved from her bed! Maybe she'll
notice the birdfeeder soon.

Old March 5th 19, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/4/2019 11:57 AM, Tina wrote:
[...]

tray for water.Â* It's a great present for me, as what makes my cats
happy makes me happy too.

Nice gift!

Nelli spends at least an hour a day, sometimes more, on her bedroom
windowsill birdwatching. Garfie has not noticed it yet unfortunately,
she prefers to sleep. That's her hobby, sleeping. I've been up for 18
hours several times, and she's never moved from her bed! Maybe she'll
notice the birdfeeder soon.

Garfie may never care. Buffy really doesn't notice the birds at the
feeder or when they're splashing in the the small bird bath on the
patio. She doesn't really notice squirrels, either. The raccoons are
mostly nocturnal so are rarely seen.

However, if a small group of deer (usually four or five does, not enough
to call a 'herd', really) come to graze behind the house... she looks
like she's channelling her inner Cheetah. She looks them over as if
gauging which one she might be able to take down if given the chance. LOL

Jill
Old March 6th 19, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tina[_2_]

On 05/03/2019 22:20, jmcquown wrote:
On 3/4/2019 11:57 AM, Tina wrote:
[...]

feed, and a tray for water.Â* It's a great present for me, as what
makes my cats happy makes me happy too.

Nice gift!

Nelli spends at least an hour a day, sometimes more, on her bedroom
windowsill birdwatching. Garfie has not noticed it yet unfortunately,
she prefers to sleep. That's her hobby, sleeping. I've been up for 18
hours several times, and she's never moved from her bed! Maybe she'll
notice the birdfeeder soon.

Garfie may never care.Â* Buffy really doesn't notice the birds at the
feeder or when they're splashing in the the small bird bath on the
patio.Â* She doesn't really notice squirrels, either.Â* The raccoons are
mostly nocturnal so are rarely seen.

However, if a small group of deer (usually four or five does, not enough
to call a 'herd', really) come to graze behind the house... she looks
like she's channelling her inner Cheetah.Â* She looks them over as if
gauging which one she might be able to take down if given the chance. LOL

Jill

I don't get deer here. However when a bird fell down my chimney a few
weeks ago, Garfie stalked it, with a view to killing it, and I think she
would have done. Nelli, OTOH, was afraid of the bird which is not
surprising as neither of them had seen a "real" bird before.
Fortunately I managed (after an hour) to get it out via the bathroom
window. Garfie was disappointed, Nelli was pleased.
Both my girls have never been outside, but Garfie was well up for
killing a bird.