Horrific Night

Old June 5th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Horrific Night

I was awakened at about 4am, I heard screams from the garage from one
or more of the 3 kittens staying there with there semi feral mom. I
couldn't see in the garage from my bedroom but I could hear the sound
of onr or more of them trying to climb into a drawer of a woodfen
bainet I have in their. It was pouring rain and I was a bit groggy
so I don't know exzactly what I heard. Maybe another animal had come
into the garage and chased one of the kittens. Was it another cat, a
rooster from the illegals living in the house behind mine, was it the
Mother cat.

Today I went into then garage looking for one of the 3 kittens, it was
the kitten who was most fearful of humans, that being me when I
brought them food it would run and hide in the garge and not come out
until it was midnight. The other 2 kittens, one a runt is fearless and
a white one who is reasonabley cautious but I have touched it while it
feed.

I found the kitten in a draw, it was viciously attacked, I mean the
****ing ears where ripped off and I couldn't even find the head. I can
still hear it screeching and claweing against the wood of the
dresser It was like Silence of the Lambs

I fear it was the Mother? Could this be? Might she kill another of
her kittens if indeed she killed this one?

Old June 5th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 4, 9:37 pm, Lynne wrote:
on Tue, 05 Jun 2007 01:31:04 GMT, wrote:

I fear it was the Mother? Could this be? Might she kill another of
her kittens if indeed she killed this one?

If it was the mother and she has been nursing and caring for the kittens,
chances are good that there was something really wrong with the kitten that
is now dead. Did you ever see that kitten? Do you know if it was nursing
well, healthy, or even formed properly?

If it wasn't the mother, you should probably close up the garage at night,
eh?

--
Lynne

She had been caring for it. I could never get a good look at it
becasue she took off whenever she heard any sound .
I saw it from a distance and it was of good size but very very
nervous, skittish, fearful compared to the other 2.

The mother stands outside the garage at night guarding against a
possum that sometimes comes thru looking for food but the possum
couldn't have scaled the dresser draws. The Mom would have fought off
any intruders or I would have heard the commotion. I live in downstate
NY, aren't many wild animals around. I think you gave me the answer
I'll live with. Something was wrong with the kitten and she killed it.
Maybe the downpour made her or the kitten a little crazy.
I took out he whole dresser sraw and laid it in the backyard after
covering the kitten and the mother and kittens haven't gone near
it. It has me in a very somber state. The screams and the
scratching and then silence. FUp

Old June 5th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lilah Morgan

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You didn't go and check when you first heard the screams? I've learned to
check on the chickens when they start making a fuss at night, because
there's always a good reason. Once it was a skunk that had just arrived at
the chicken coop, and once an owl had found a stray hen and just killed it
probably like no more than a minute before I got there(corpse was still
warm, owl sitting on top, hadn't even started to eat it). Never seen an owl
that big(well it wasn't like huge, but for me, I'm used to those tiny owls
that aren't like more than a foot tall).

Old June 5th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Jun 4, 8:31 pm, wrote:
[...]

You know, my knee-jerk reaction to this -- and correct me if I have
interpreted this
wrongly -- is why didn't you immediately check out what was wrong? Did
you
wait until *morning* to check on them, after you "heard" what sounded
like the kittens scrambling around in there?
A tomcat probably got into the garage and killed the kitten. That is
*not*
unusual I'm wondering whether the poor thing could have been saved
from the
suffering.

Sherry

Old June 5th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 05 Jun 2007 01:55:09 GMT, Sherry wrote:

A tomcat probably got into the garage and killed the kitten. That is
*not*
unusual I'm wondering whether the poor thing could have been saved
from the
suffering.

Yep, my thought too since the mama was caring for the kitten properly and
it was thriving.

To the OP: please close the garage at night. How do you expect a mama cat
to defend her kittens, all of the--er now both--all by herself? I can't
imagine horrific it must have been not only for the poor kitten, but for
the mama to have to witness what happened. And please dispose of the
kitten's remains. Of course they aren't going near them. Why would they??

--
Lynne

Old June 5th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 4, 9:55 pm, Sherry wrote:
On Jun 4, 8:31 pm, wrote:

[...]

Sherry- Hide quoted text -

The incident was over very quick and I thought they were just playing,
all 4 of them. I was asleep when it started and figured it was
something to do with the pouring rain which they have never seen
before, not like this. Thats why I didn't go out. I'm feeling guilty
because of it. Around here its just cats and dogs and ther are no
dogs around.

I live in heavily populated NY suburb. There are no big animals. The
only possible animal would have been the rooster that the house of 20
illegals smuggled in, how they even have rooster/hems is ridiculous
but would a farm bird dur this. This cat was impossibel to catch, she/
he ran behind a pile of furniure and junk. I had trouble geting within
50'.
Thats why I think is was Mom. The mother has no front teeth but 2 she
does have big big back fangs. The Mother is the only thing that could
have gotten close.

Old June 5th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 4, 10:11 pm, "Gail" wrote:
YES, CLOSE the garage so another animal cannot get in.
Gail"Lynne" wrote in message

7.142...

on Tue, 05 Jun 2007 01:55:09 GMT, Sherry wrote:

A tomcat probably got into the garage and killed the kitten. That is
*not*
unusual I'm wondering whether the poor thing could have been saved
from the
suffering.

Yep, my thought too since the mama was caring for the kitten properly and
it was thriving.

To the OP: please close the garage at night. How do you expect a mama cat
to defend her kittens, all of the--er now both--all by herself? I can't
imagine horrific it must have been not only for the poor kitten, but for
the mama to have to witness what happened. And please dispose of the
kitten's remains. Of course they aren't going near them. Why would they??

--
Lynne- Hide quoted text -

Listen you pathetic fool, its been 90 degrees for 3 days and humid. I
should lock the 4 cats in the garage with fertilizer, gas cans, dust
cat crap, FLYS and other BUGS, and all the other crap that exists in
garage and the heat overnight in a garage???????? Plus their feral and
kittens, that means they have very weak defenses. I've saw 2 ferals
die last year from respiratory problems I've cared for 100 cats and
dogs but especially cats. When I wrote the inital question I suspected
the answer was the Mom i justed didn't want to believe it because I've
grown found of her. I know what mother cats do sometime, they
regularly abandon kittens They also kill their own. This was an ugly
case of mother nature

Old June 5th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bluedove

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

** How horrible. I would try to catch the kittens, ASAP, if you can. So if
their is* a predator cat or Mom-( I shudder to think) lurking around out
there, you can protect the remaining kittens. FWIW, it's really not that
hard to actually catch them, just put some food in a nice, med sized boxy
animal carrier with a door, and either lure them in with food, then snap the
door shut, or let them eat deep inside of it a few times, then quickly shut
the door on them.

After trapping you'd need to then put them in a room, in a controlled
environment + immediately try to socialize them with various people, sounds,
and your voice, and all other creatures, in time. I would also physically
touch them a lot if you can contain them in like a med sized dog 'crate'
cage. Then when they are about 10 wks or 12, hopefully, you can find good
approved homes for them. I have rescued cats quite often through out the
years that have been neglected, abandoned and/or lost, and have spent by own
money to have them checked out, neutered/ fixed, bought medicines, etc, etc.
I encourage you to do the same. Try to rescue the kittens, and try to give
them a better life. It's the right thing to do, IMO.

ML