More Lilly updates

Old February 10th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

Default More Lilly updates - Sheelagh... on second thought....

On Feb 10, 12:39 am, wrote:

I've been reading this whole thread tonight and that vet is a
disaster!

Good luck to you and Lilly!

I think the vet is competent for the task at hand (at this point)
I think sheelagh should let them fix Lilly up.

Think about it, why should the cat be moved around uneccessarily.

Sheelagh has spoke well of this vet...

Sure, the vet has shot herself in the foot, but she is a vet none the
less.

I think she should stay put and let the vet finish what she started
(easier on Lilly).

I think it's safe to say this vet wouldn't dare neglect Lilly at this
point, Sheelagh can settle the score with this vet after Lilly is
home.

Barry

Old February 10th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Default More Lilly updates

On 10 Feb, 03:19, "sheelagh" wrote:
Best of luck to Lilly,

Rhonda

Speaking of livid bookie....i didnt intend to insinuate that you were
callled Dave by the way, i was taking a thread from the other posting
that i thought you had read & adding it you yours,lol!!!
Anyway, the point is got you all as far as the visit.
I have just typed a mile of posting and the damed thing said it was
succesful, but when I looked there wasnt a single word of it
there.AAAGGGH, I could Scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ross and I mad ehte appointment to go and see poor old Lilly who as
you all know has been there all on ther tod since thursday lunchtime.
Speaking of livid bookie....I didnt intend to insinuate that you were
called Dave by the way, I was taking a thread from the other posting
that I thought you had read & adding it you yours,lol!!!
I will copy and paste it to this one so that you understand what I
meant,ok?
Anyway, the point is got you all as far as the visit.
I have just typed a mile of posting and the damed thing said it was
succesful, but when I looked there wasnt a single word of it
there.AAAGGGH, I could Scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ross and I made the appointment to go and see poor old Lilly who as
you all know has been there all on ther tod since thursday lunchtime.
We were cordialy informed that we might be welcome to do so between
5-5.30 pm, so we got there @5 on the dot...& we waited,... & we
waited.... & by 6pm, she called us into her cubby hole and showed me
the xray that she had taken.
In The Grubby old thing she showed us that there was a dark area,so I
asked what it was & she told me that she had no idea @ all, that Lilly
had been given an enenema to clear her bowel because she was
constipated, & that she had a look at the bowel, but couldn't work out
what it was, so she massaged it along a bit in the hope that it would
work it's way out eventually.
I then asked how the operation went & she said it went fairly well,
but it was a bit touch and go regarding septacemia, that she couldn't
make any promises, but that she was also optomistic about her
(baring in mind that I know full well that no one has even bothered to
look at her since thursday lunch time, you can imagine how hard it was
for my to stand on my tongue and not simply let rip@ her.Especially
for those of you who know me- you will appreciate it was like folding
in a tornado of abuse)
Snow my back side, Paul made it to barnwell, so she could have come to
work, she simply pulled a sicky and blamed it on the snow!
She (BTW She is always the vet)
Having apologized & told me that it was simply beyond her control,
after admiting to Paul that she had sick horses, which was why she
went home on thurdsday afternoon, so that was the last time that Lilly
got any treatment or care...it really was all I could do not to launch
into full throttle...
once I had swalled that bitter pill, I asked her how she felt about
the prognosis was, & she took us both out to the back where she she
keeps all of her inmates (prisoners, for our american freinds)..& one
look at Lilly was enough to make me howl with tears, even Ross too...
She was lying there patheticaly and listlessly. We were already warned
that she was sedated, had a drip in because she was a touch
dehdrated...
(well of course she was, no one fed her or gave her any water since
the day previous at lunch time!!)
The moment she heard our voices though, her little head perked up &
she cried and meowled for us to come to her- she lolooked so
vulnerable and pathetic too, with green mucky eys,one of her front
paws straped up with her drip & oviously she must havew felt terribly
sore too with the spaying been done?
I then thought of lots of questions such as "do you think it is
possible that she might have had a stroke", to which the answer was a
catogorical NO!
"why do you think that she is drooling still", was answered with, "I
think it might be for attention"...funny because she has never done
that before....
"why do you think she was coughing", was
"I have no idea, but it isn't so bad now, is it"?
Is it possible that she might have a touch of flu"
Answer again was
"No"!
Are you giving her antibiotics for the eye infection",
Answer was
"No, I gave her a shot a couple of days ago so that should help clear
it".
"Don't you think a few more might help if she had/has septacemia"
Answer was , "she can't take anything orally, but when she is ready we
could try again"....
OMG..What do we do in the meantime? Wait for to die?
Anger goes beyond how I feel right now....
She left us at that point & I was cursing myself for a fool for not
taking my camera, so I got Ross to take a few on my mobile(cell
phone!!)..which the nurse herd so came to investigate what was
happening..
I explained that we were taking a few snaps for the rest of the
children to see as we felt it would be inappropriate to bring all 4 of
them...it usually works, & did this time too, but she asked us to ask
next time BTW-The nurse was her daughter today...Interesting, hey?
Whilst the nuse was there, I took the opportunity to ask her what time
their observations were done during the night, but she didn't know
because she didn't do lates...meanwhile Ross was giving me very
pointed stare's so i shut up because I realised that he must have had
his reasons to that..& he did
He mananged to find Lilly's notes, in which it states that the last
ob's are done @ 5.30 pm- the next ones are done the following mornig @
8.30 am
So we were right, there is no night cover at all... I am so sadened by
this.
In all the years I have used her, I have never had an overnight
patient with her, or I would have known &NEVER have takewn LILLY there
@ all....
Lilly was as delighted as we were, & even though she was sedated, she
crawled to the front of ther cage and did head rubs, a bit of slobbery
drooling, but it did stop afer a while once we were there for around
20 mins or so;it stopped completely too??
We played I love you, Kissy kissy, cuddles & talk in a silly high
voice which made her purr forever, but I noticed that her mouth was
open all the while we were there. Am I right in thinking that cats
open their mouths to pant? I wondered this becuse the heater was right
under her cage...it was ever so hot there... she loved seeing us
though & it was heart braking to leave her bewcause she wanted to come
with us too-I cried, I don't mind admitting it either. I hated it!!!
All too soon it came time to leave and we were gently reminded it was
closing time(
IT WAS MORE THAN WONDERFUL TO SEE HER AGAIN- I DID FEAR THAT I NEVER
WOULD
I am going to have to do something a bit later this morning because I
CAN'T LEAVE HER THERE!
It is a really dingy hole out the back & I wouldn't leave lilly's pet
cockroach there, seriously!!
In an ideal world "Bookie" ... I would like to take her to a vetinary
clinic in Hutingdon callled the CROMWELL SURGERY, ever heard of it?
The reason I say this is because it comes personally recommended by a
lady who runs a cattery in the village- & if they are good enough for
her, then I am more than sure they would be for me.....
Rhonda ~& Cindy, I would love to bring her home,. but with the line I
am terrified that I might mess up.
If you honestly feel that I can do it, I would. There is no place like
home, but if there is even a thought that I might not be doing the
right thing, then tell me so too please?
This is far briefer than the last post, but it is now nearly 3 am & I
am flagginfg for lack of sleep in three days now, so guess I had
better go and try and get some in case I do have to bring her home.
I don't want Lilly-Pads to be in there a moment longert than I have
to & will keep you all posted on how it goes later.
I will be around for the next half an hour or so, so if anyone is
still up, I would love to hear from you.
Grateful doesn't come near what i would like to thank you all for.
You have been a brilliant moral support & I thank you all for it too.
More updates when & if it all happens,but I intend to
SRING HER ASAP LATER THIS MORING, REST ASSURED..I CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE
OF THIS.http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheela...yWhenSheWasIll

yes cromwell is on the reccomended list of the feline advisory board
and therefore is a good place (they have very high standards) so take
her there asap if you can. can you get to cambridge at all? the animal
hospital there is very good, linked to the university and they always
have 24 hours cover (a lot of my frineds had to do week long stays
there living in as part fo their training to be vets, is excellent
place).

btw I am not livid cos you caleld me dave (been called much worse in
my time) just livid at whole sorry situation and the blatant
incompetence fo your vet. if you want you can give me the practice
name and I will report her to anyone and everyone i can think of

bookie

Old February 10th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

I think it's safe to say this vet wouldn't dare neglect Lilly at this
point, Sheelagh can settle the score with this vet after Lilly is
home.

Barry

if she ever gets home that is....

Old February 10th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Vets are not gods, and not authority figures to be afraid of. Vets are
just humans and they make mistakes

I agree! having spent some years at college with a number of them in
training, and many nights in pubs with some of them drinking I know
how human they can be, and fallible too. Any vet who tries to make me
be in awe of them gets a right mouthful from me, they are there to
provide a service and care for animals not make clients feel small.

when our family cat tegan was diagnosed with astomach tumour last
january the first vet to see her wanted to put her down straight away,
despite fact that tegan was eatign drinking, platying, being the usual
naughty tortie she had always been, no drop in quality of life and
putting her to sleep woudl not ave been neccesary at that point. Of
coursemy dad and brother justy thought that the vet knwos best and
went alogn with it, and then I drove down to see tegan (yes
unannounced of course, mid afternoon) and saw that she was not in such
a sorry state as they had made out, saw scans, and asked for a second
opinion and to talk to the nurses who backed up what i thougth that
she was not at deaths doors just yet. we took tegan home and she had
about 6 more months with us and was able to fall asleep peacfully at
home inher familiar surroundings with people who loved her around her,
much better than a premature lethal injection. It also gave us time to
prepare for it too.

I may sound bolshy but i am not in awe of vets and if i think
something is not quite right I challenge it and ask for evidence or a
second opinion. My animals depend on me to try to do the best for them
and that is why i do it, they can't speak for themselves so i have to.

now please report back that you have removed her and taken her to
cromwell in huntingdon
bookie

Old February 10th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

"Barry" wrote:

On Feb 10, 12:39 am, wrote:

I've been reading this whole thread tonight and that vet is a
disaster!

Good luck to you and Lilly!

I think the vet is competent for the task at hand (at this point)
I think sheelagh should let them fix Lilly up.

Think about it, why should the cat be moved around uneccessarily.

Sheelagh has spoke well of this vet...

I think she should stay put and let the vet finish what she started
(easier on Lilly).

I think it's safe to say this vet wouldn't dare neglect Lilly at this
point, Sheelagh can settle the score with this vet after Lilly is
home.

Barry

The way I understand it is that Lilly will go unattended between 5 and
8 in the morning and nobody will be there on Sundays. If a cat comes
down with a post op fever you need to catch it right away, not the
next day.

I think *if* the cat is safe to transport, then it must go for better
post op care.

Sure, the vet has shot herself in the foot, but she is a vet none the
less.

Large animal rural vets usually aren't the best solution to domestic
pets.
Old February 10th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

delurking - it looks like Liily is now away from this vet & either home or
moved somewhere else: go to sheelagh's link showing the pictures of Lilly
being (mis-)treated at her (?large-animal) vet
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheela...yWhenSheWasIll & click on
the blue link in the upper left corner "sheelagh's public gallery" & you will
see the top left picture "lilly is sprung from jail" & there's several
pictures showing her today out of the vet! Great news - she looks to be OK -
it's been a little confusing following this thread.
M.

Rhonda wrote:
Sheelagh, I'm so glad you're getting her out of there. You may be
rescuing her just in time.

That vet has no business treating her. Sounds like she's just guessing
what it wrong.

Vets are not gods, and not authority figures to be afraid of. Vets are
just humans and they make mistakes -- but they should never act as yours
has. This is life and death for your cat and you don't have to apologize
or make excuses as to why you are taking her somewhere else. I know that
many people in England are very nice and very subtle, but you can't let
anything get in the way of saving your cat.

I'm so relieved you are getting her out of there. Don't back down,
Lilly's health is more important right now than stepping on the vet's toes!

Poor little thing, let us know how she's doing tomorrow.

Rhonda

Old February 10th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

delurking again - someone better than me sort out what I'm seeing here
because it's even more confusing now that I look more carefully at the picasa
album "lilly is sprung from jail" dated today Feb 10, 07 - but the details of
the individual pictures (on the right of each picture) say Dec 13, 06. What
am I missing here? An earlier illness or some other problem with Lilly back
in December that I didn't see back then? Anyway, I hope she is well & home.
M.

Old February 10th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Rhonda wrote:
[...]

How clever you are..
Well done, you are right, she is and the post should arrive any moment
S;o)
Ps: thanks to you all

Old February 10th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 10 Feb, 14:44, "bookie" wrote:
[...]

Hail, lilly the slobber is free...
We marched her down to Huntingdon & got her seen by the vet there who
told us the best place for her is home.
He has given us a drip and taught us how to put a line in for her,
but Only if she stops drinking...
Currently she is eating like a horse....& drinking like an english
football hooligan too!!
She looks absolutely disgusting, but it should pass with the
antibiotics we have been given, & she should look a bit better in a
few days

The cheif slobber Lilly is delighted, & so are we now that we have
helped her escape with diplomacy rather than a file lol;o)
I can't believe that the Lilly you can see in some of the other photos
on the link to Lilly has escaped is the same cat that was totally
igniored for 36 hours when she was desperately ill and needed help...
I am never going back to the cat prison again.....She was not treated
with the respect that she charged me for quite frankly!!
S;o)
So nice to have her ALIVE & HOME