Pet Care Insurance experiences

Old November 16th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

Default Pet Care Insurance experiences

I've just been looking back at my vet bills for the year and they've
totaled almost $3500 what with one thing another. Given that figure, I'm
thinking seriously about getting insurance for them which would cost
around $800/year and would cover things like vaccinations, injuries and
illness, surgery, hospitalization etc.

Has anybody got experience with these insurance carriers, do they nickel
& dime and kill you on co-pays like their human insuring colleagues :-)
--
Nik Simpson
Old November 16th 10, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"nik Simpson" wrote in message
I've just been looking back at my vet bills for the year and they've
totaled almost $3500 what with one thing another. Given that figure, I'm
thinking seriously about getting insurance for them which would cost
around $800/year and would cover things like vaccinations, injuries and
illness, surgery, hospitalization etc.

Has anybody got experience with these insurance carriers, do they nickel &
dime and kill you on co-pays like their human insuring colleagues :-)
--

I don't know about pet insurance in the USA but there aren't any in the UK
that will cover routine care like vaccinations.
There is always an excess to pay (is that what you call co-pay?) and
strangely enough it seems to be fixed at a rate high enough to not cover
minor ailments plus the consultation fee. They are also reluctant (or will
not!) cover an animal with existing health problems.
Boyfie has a vet fund - his own bank account into which I pay the equivalent
of the insurance premium each month. It's always covered what he needs and
there is no arguing with the insurance company about what is or what is not
covered. They will always try to wriggle out of paying if they can.
You do need to start this early in their life, though while they are healthy
and let it build up.
As you've had such high vets bills in the last year you might find it
difficult to get cover anyway. I think you have to declare it and if you
didn't you wouldn't be covered if they found out afterwards. They're in the
game to make profits, not losses!
HTH, although this is just the UK perspective.
Tweed

Old November 17th 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:39:51 -0600, nik Simpson
wrote:

I've just been looking back at my vet bills for the year and they've
totaled almost $3500 what with one thing another. Given that figure, I'm
thinking seriously about getting insurance for them which would cost
around $800/year and would cover things like vaccinations, injuries and
illness, surgery, hospitalization etc.

Has anybody got experience with these insurance carriers, do they nickel
& dime and kill you on co-pays like their human insuring colleagues :-)

My vet says not to bother, even though he has all those leaflets in
the waiting room from pet insurance companies. Still, I think it might
pay for those of us who are insane (or compassionate) enough to pay
all kinds of money for our furballs. I guess you have to look at the
policies really thoroughly.

Old November 18th 10, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 16/11/2010 22:39, nik Simpson wrote:
I've just been looking back at my vet bills for the year and they've
totaled almost $3500 what with one thing another. Given that figure, I'm
thinking seriously about getting insurance for them which would cost
around $800/year and would cover things like vaccinations, injuries and
illness, surgery, hospitalization etc.

Has anybody got experience with these insurance carriers, do they nickel
& dime and kill you on co-pays like their human insuring colleagues :-)

I don't have personal experience, but I've looked at the policies and
they tend to only cover the cat until it is 7-10 years old. So when old
age starts to set in, and the cat is more likely to develop some
age-related illnesses and need more vet care, you're on your own. That's
why I haven't considered insuring my cats, but maybe they have different
policies in the US.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old November 18th 10, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Nov 17, 10:20*pm, Marina wrote:
[...]

Same here. I was going to look into pet insurance, but the majority
of my cats are too old. They would cover hardly anything past 10.
I only have one cat younger than 7.

Sherry
Old November 18th 10, 08:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

I've just been looking back at my vet bills for the year and they've
totaled almost $3500 what with one thing another. Given that figure, I'm
thinking seriously about getting insurance for them which would cost
around $800/year and would cover things like vaccinations, injuries and
illness, surgery, hospitalization etc.

Has anybody got experience with these insurance carriers, do they nickel
& dime and kill you on co-pays like their human insuring colleagues :-)

My vet says not to bother, even though he has all those leaflets in
the waiting room from pet insurance companies. Still, I think it might
pay for those of us who are insane (or compassionate) enough to pay
all kinds of money for our furballs. I guess you have to look at the
policies really thoroughly.

Persia's vet back in TN had those brochures in the waiting room but told me
they don't accept pet insurance. You have to pay the bill up front then
duke it out with the insurance company.

You really need to read the fine print. Most policies exclude everything.
They don't cover routine vaccinations or the stuff that will constantly grab
at your wallet.

I have a special bank account set aside for nothing but Persia's vet bills.
And she has her own credit card; I don't use it for anything else. Her
radioactive isotope therapy for hyperthyroidism cost $900. But the money
was there. That's her insurance policy.

Jill

Old November 18th 10, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The only veterinary insurance I ever heard of that was any good was for
race horses or show horses. That's because the horse produces income,
at least potentially. A pet is strictly discretionary and the
underwriting on pet veterinary insurance probably stinks. Your vet
account is the best way to do it.

Bud

Old November 18th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Persia's vet back in TN had those brochures in the waiting room but told

me
they don't accept pet insurance. You have to pay the bill up front then
duke it out with the insurance company.

My vet is the same, you have to pay up front at the point where you pick up
your cat/dog/etc from surgery, so you have to have the money anyway and then
claim it back.
It sort of negates the whole thing, doesn't it? If you could afford to pay
thousands up front for whatever happened you wouldn't bother with pet
insurance, would you?
I don't know if some vets will wait for an insurance company to pay the
bill. Mine won't. No pet goes home unless the fee is paid in full.

You really need to read the fine print. Most policies exclude everything.
They don't cover routine vaccinations or the stuff that will constantly
grab at your wallet.

I have a special bank account set aside for nothing but Persia's vet
bills. And she has her own credit card; I don't use it for anything else.
Her radioactive isotope therapy for hyperthyroidism cost $900. But the
money was there. That's her insurance policy.

And that is exactly what I advised upthread, Jill.
Tweed

Old November 18th 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

No insurance company will cover a dog/cat for the first time when it is
elderly, or has started to have health problems before you approach
them -let's be sensible.
You either have to start (1) insurance when you get them young, or (2) put
money aside in a separate bank account to accrue for the vets every month.
(2) works for me.

Tweed

Old November 18th 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

On 11/18/2010 9:40 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
Persia's vet back in TN had those brochures in the waiting room but told

me
they don't accept pet insurance. You have to pay the bill up front then
duke it out with the insurance company.

My vet is the same, you have to pay up front at the point where you pick up
your cat/dog/etc from surgery, so you have to have the money anyway and then
claim it back.
It sort of negates the whole thing, doesn't it? If you could afford to pay
thousands up front for whatever happened you wouldn't bother with pet
insurance, would you?

Not sure I follow that reasoning, I can afford to pay up front, but if
(in theory) insurance would cover a significant portion of what I pay,
I'd be happy to have it. I'm just not sure how valuable it is at this
point. But thanks for the feedback.

--
Nik Simpson