Getting ready for a new aby kitten in Chicago-advice on vets and preparations needed

Old July 25th 03, 07:06 AM

Arjun Ray wrote:
There is also a difference between overpopulation per se, and
overpopulation as a problem. Displacement is the essence of the
problem. You have only to think of the childhood game of musical chairs
to see the issue involved.

And you'd have to ask people everyday what kind of cat they have (it is
required at my job) to know that very few people have purebreds so they
aren't displacing that many cats in the first place! There are so few that
it really is not that much of an issue! Believe it or not most people
don't care what breed their cat is (dogs are different). Most people don't
even know. Many people get annoyed and say why are you even bothering to
ask me that question, it's a cat! Many people have cats that just came to
them. Many others from shelters. Some from friends who had litters for
various reasons (not breeding, just accidental litters, or ones to teach
the kids the joy of life, or people who don't believe in
spaying/neutering and let their cats roam). Few have them from actual
breeders. And some of the people I ask there's no telling they didn't get
it from the shelter (most peopel consider a cat with points a Siamese so
will say Siamese if you ask though they didn't get their cat from a
breeder).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 25th 03, 07:06 AM

Arjun Ray wrote:
There is also a difference between overpopulation per se, and
overpopulation as a problem. Displacement is the essence of the
problem. You have only to think of the childhood game of musical chairs
to see the issue involved.

And you'd have to ask people everyday what kind of cat they have (it is
required at my job) to know that very few people have purebreds so they
aren't displacing that many cats in the first place! There are so few that
it really is not that much of an issue! Believe it or not most people
don't care what breed their cat is (dogs are different). Most people don't
even know. Many people get annoyed and say why are you even bothering to
ask me that question, it's a cat! Many people have cats that just came to
them. Many others from shelters. Some from friends who had litters for
various reasons (not breeding, just accidental litters, or ones to teach
the kids the joy of life, or people who don't believe in
spaying/neutering and let their cats roam). Few have them from actual
breeders. And some of the people I ask there's no telling they didn't get
it from the shelter (most peopel consider a cat with points a Siamese so
will say Siamese if you ask though they didn't get their cat from a
breeder).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 25th 03, 07:30 AM

Kate wrote:

The reason for overpopulation is
because irresponisble pet owners
abandond pets, dont spay and neuter
them, etc.

Breeders -obviously don't spay and neuter. Do you see the connection
with what you wrote?

Sure you could adopt the Aby and get a shelter cat, but since you are
willing to have two cats why not go to a foster based rescue and find a
pair that need a home together? The foster can tell you just as much
about the temperament of these particular cats as any breeder could
about their cats.

The bottom line here is that, no matter how you spin it, if you buy a
cat from a breeder, you have contributed to the overpopulation problem
*and* unnecessary death in one fell swoop.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old July 25th 03, 08:11 AM

Alice wrote:

very few people have purebreds so they
aren't displacing that many cats in the first
place!

Oh, I see, so as long as it's not *that many* the displacement and
eventual killing of these cats is justified.

There are so few that it really is not that
much of an issue!

It is very much of an issue for those cats that are displaced.
Apparently you don't care about them.

Old July 25th 03, 02:54 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article ,
enlightened us with...

IMO, the reason pet stores and breeders are still so popular is because
the no-kill shelters and rescues make it very difficult to get a pet.
This is in my experience, so of course, YMMV.

~kaeli~

Personally, I doubt that this is the reason. There are too many cats and
kittens available free from neighbors, newspaper ads, etc. for this to be
the explanation.

Those would all qualify as breeders to me. I didn't say purebred and I
didn't say responsible breeders.
Neighbors and newspaper ads are not shelters.

I think some people want purebreds because of appearance,
some because they think a particular breed would also guarantee a certain
type of personality, some because they think cats from breeders will be
healthier (ironically, this is not true), and some because of a snobbish
attitude toward what is perceived as "best." I do realize that some very
good homes have been rejected by some shelters, but I am dubious about this
being a reason why people would turn to purebreds.

I didn't say they did.
In fact, I didn't say a thing about purebreds. The paper and pet stores
carry mixed breed dogs, too.

What I said was that the reason people don't adopt from shelters and
rescues is that it is easier to get animals from other sources.
My apologies if I phrased it badly the first time.

~kaeli~
Black holes were created when God divided by 0.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion
that life is serious.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
Old July 25th 03, 02:54 PM