Rescue, when to take off flea collars?

Old July 1st 03, 11:50 PM
Nadine

Joe wrote:
Your WebTV newsreader doesn't work.

Works just fine, thank you

Advantage is one of the safest products on the market and is far from
being relatively new. Not only have I read the directions I have
attended a few seminars on the product so I know how it works. It
doesn't cause the tremors like some over the counter products (Hartz,
bio spot ect.)
Nor have there been any reported cases of it killing any animals! (If
you can post some I would be interested). Flea collars are nothing but
a waste of money, but go for it I could really care less.

Thanks for nothing

Joe you keep making comments about other people being nasty, well maybe
you should look in a mirror, because you are an ass. Since you seem to
think you already know everything why bother asking.

Nadine

Old July 2nd 03, 05:55 AM
Anti-Flag

"Joe" wrote in message
(corrected quoting)

(Nadine) wrote:
Joe wrote:

Your WebTV newsreader doesn't work.

Works just fine, thank you

No one can follow conversations in which you particapate because your

WebTV
newsreader misquotes everything.

Find a friend who can help you fix that.

Advantage is one of the safest products on the market and is far from
being relatively new.

Flea collars have been around much longer than Advantage.

Not only have I read the directions I have attended a few seminars
on the product so I know how it works.

You wrote:
it stays on the hair follicles

http://www.nofleas.com/Advantage-for-Cats.asp
... apply the solution directly on the skin.

hair follicles are in the skin, its the name of the things hair grow out of.

It doesn't cause the tremors like some over the counter products
(Hartz, bio spot ect.)
Nor have there been any reported cases of it killing any animals!
(If you can post some I would be interested).

Maybe, but I find curious the fact that the side effects are not listed on
Bexar's web site. I thought all drugs have side effects, especially
prescription only drugs.

Flea collars are nothing but a waste of money,

Provide some evidence of that. There must be some clinical studies.

They work just fine in my experience.

I could really [not] care less.

That is precisely what your answer sounds like. Also probably why you do
not bother to properly format your replies. Then you harp on having been

vet tech for 16 years when anyone questions your carelessness.

well maybe you should look in a mirror, because you are an ass.

At least I make an effort to give accurate, considerate information.

Old July 2nd 03, 11:32 AM
Nadine

Joe maybe you'll be able to understand me this way. Advantage is
to be applied as close to the skin as possible so that it can travel up
the hair follicles, it is not absorbed into the system. It works and is
extremely safe.
I have been a tech. for 18 years not 16. But I didn't "harp"
on that at all, heck I didn't even mention it to you, until now and only
because you brought it up. Of course that has nothing to do with how my
posts look. Sorry if my posting skills don't meet your requirements.
I don't have the time to perfect them as I spend most of my time dealing
with real life animal care.
If flea collars worked so well then why was flea control so
impossible (without bathing the animal, and treating the house/yard with
harsh chemicals ect...constantly-not that that worked well either) all
those years before Advantage/Frontline came onto the market?
As for you saying, "At least I make an effort to give accurate,
considerate information." LMAO. nothing you say is considerate, just
nasty. But that seems to be the norm in here.
And I asked you to show some studies showing where Advantage has
killed any animal.

Nadine

Old July 3rd 03, 12:38 PM
Nadine

(Joe) wrote:
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0
Fixing your WebTV newsreader might help you
follow the conversation.

I've had no problem what so ever following the conversation.

I said you harp on having been a vet tech when
others question your recklessness.

No harping or recklessness

It is your WebTV newsreader cofiguration. But I
am not bashing WebTV users, the problem is
your particular WebTV newsreader configuration.
I do not recall seeing that horrible formatting
among other WebTV users.

Webs don't have newsreader configurations as far as I know, but I did
this the long way to help you out.

And No, snipping everything isn't the solution.

Again, just trying to help you out

I think you are just careless, or you cannot find
a friend to help you. If I met you on the Internet
without knowing who you are, I probably would
offer to help. Lots of people would. Here, I am
just trying to give you a clue.

Like I would ever ask the likes of you for help!

So how do you find time to shill for your flea
treatment?

Just trying to make things safer for the cats, but you obviously don't
care about safety.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0
Again, fixing your WebTV newsreader might
help you follow the conversation. I never said
they work really well. You get what you pay for.

Works better then my I MAC, which I use for my real computer needs.

But I think flea collars are working well enough
for my cats.

Good for you, whatever floats your boat.

That is your argument. I asked you for clinical

results supporting your brash claim flea collars
do not work. I am sure there are lots of clinical
results especially from the makers of alternative
products. I mean seriously. You put the collar
on a flea infested animal and later you test for
fleas. Sounds easy to me.

Nope, not my argument as I have no problem with fleas because I use
Advantage. Many people have tried flea collars, only to find out that
they wasted their money. Then they come to us saying "help my pet has
fleas and the flea collar isn't working". If you need/want clinical
studies do your own homework as I already know the truth about them.

I know flea collars are not healthy, but no
chemicals will be on my cats after the
fleas/eggs are dead.

Sure
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0
You are lying again.

Not lying about a damn thing

If that were true, maybe it is because trying to
follow your conversation is frustrating.

Hope this one is easier for you to follow.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0
You claimed flea collars simply do not work
before I said anything about the product you
are selling.

I make NO money from Bayer. But to each their own. Do what you want.
It's not worth the time arguing with you.
--
Have a great day anyway.

Oh I will, thank you

Nadine

Old July 3rd 03, 01:06 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:50:01 -0400 (EDT),
(Nadine) wrote:

Joe wrote:
Your WebTV newsreader doesn't work.

Works just fine, thank you

Advantage is one of the safest products on the market and is far from
being relatively new. Not only have I read the directions I have
attended a few seminars on the product so I know how it works. It
doesn't cause the tremors like some over the counter products (Hartz,
bio spot ect.)

Advantage is known to cause a very bad allergic reaction on some cats,
though the incidence is fairly small. Any cat that has not been
treated with Advantage (and to a lesser extent Frontline) should
always be given half the normal dose at first, then the other half two
or three days later.

Nor have there been any reported cases of it killing any animals! (If
you can post some I would be interested).

The same thing can be said for flea collars and other products.

Flea collars are nothing but
a waste of money, but go for it I could really care less.

Most cats need a collar, it may as well be a flea collar. For many
cats that is all the protection from fleas they will need for most of
the year.

Thanks for nothing

Joe you keep making comments about other people being nasty, well maybe
you should look in a mirror, because you are an ass. Since you seem to
think you already know everything why bother asking.

Nadine

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.
Old July 3rd 03, 01:14 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 06:32:57 -0400 (EDT),
(Nadine) wrote:

Joe maybe you'll be able to understand me this way. Advantage is
to be applied as close to the skin as possible so that it can travel up
the hair follicles, it is not absorbed into the system. It works and is
extremely safe.

It does work, it is relatively safe. However, so are normal flea
collars.

I have been a tech. for 18 years not 16. But I didn't "harp"
on that at all, heck I didn't even mention it to you, until now and only
because you brought it up. Of course that has nothing to do with how my
posts look. Sorry if my posting skills don't meet your requirements.
I don't have the time to perfect them as I spend most of my time dealing
with real life animal care.

Then you show a lack of respect for other Usenet users. If you want
your post read by people you need to format them correctly.

If flea collars worked so well then why was flea control so
impossible (without bathing the animal, and treating the house/yard with
harsh chemicals ect...constantly-not that that worked well either) all
those years before Advantage/Frontline came onto the market?

Flea collars work fine, on most cats and for most of the year. At the
height of flea season products like Advantage give extra protection.

As for you saying, "At least I make an effort to give accurate,
considerate information." LMAO. nothing you say is considerate, just
nasty. But that seems to be the norm in here.
And I asked you to show some studies showing where Advantage has
killed any animal.

As yet there are only a few cases, but then Advantage forms a small
sector of the anti-flea market. As Advantage and Frontline are only
available through vets in the UK vets can, and do, warn people that
there may be an adverse reaction first time, and of course tell people
not to panic as the reaction usually passes after a couple of hours.
For cats who are already ill, or known to be allergic to things, vets
do not recommend Advantage.

Nadine

Old August 4th 03, 01:09 AM
DeAnna

They are not only NOT quick/effective flea killers but they can
make a cat sick.

So can Advantage.

Actually, in testing, Advantage was literally FED to the test subjects. With no ill
effects.

From the manufacturer website:
"Advantage is backed by extensive and thorough domestic animal safety studies that show
even when administered at five times the target therapeutic dosage for three consecutive
days, cats and dogs experienced no adverse effects4. If you apply as recommended, you can
be confident of the gentleness of Advantage on your pet.
4Bayer Domestic Animal Safety Studies"

The active ingredient, is also used as a grain pesticide, and is thereby ingested, even
by humans. You can read more on this he
http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/pips/imidaclo.htm
(snip excerpted from toxicity studies-note-the imidacloprid was ingested in these studies)
"Chronic Toxicity: A 2-year feeding study in rats fed up to 1,800 ppm resulted in a No
Observable Effect Level (NOEL) of 100 ppm (5.7 mg/kg body weight in males and 7.6 mg/kg in
females). Adverse effects included decreased body weight gain in females at 300 ppm, and
increased thyroid lesions in males at 300 ppm and females at 900 ppm. A 1-year feeding
study in dogs fed up to 2,500 ppm resulted in a NOEL of 1,250 ppm (41 mg/kg). Adverse
effects included increased cholesterol levels in the blood, and some stress to the liver
(measured by elevated liver cytochrome p-450 levels) (331)"

We use Advantage, and have had no problems, even on very sick animals.
D.