Does Mickey need surgery?

Old August 17th 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default Does Mickey need surgery?

Hoping surgery can be avoided but not looking so good. He has had two barium
x-rays so far and both are showing what seems to be "partial obstruction" in
large intestine. There was a wet hair on his towel this morning but TED
can't tell which end it came from. One more x-ray will be done prior to
making final decision.

TED says *if* there is a big hairball in the LI, there will be a continuous
effort by the LI to move it through and tissue damage can occur, even
perforation. I asked about maybe giving him one more dose of that strong
hairball medication that was given yesterday, and sending him home to see
what happens.

I keep meaning to ask him "What would you do if this were your own pet?" My
short-term memory is just not there anymore....

Old August 17th 11, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/17/2011 12:09 PM, Pat wrote:
Hoping surgery can be avoided but not looking so good. He has had two barium
x-rays so far and both are showing what seems to be "partial obstruction" in
large intestine. There was a wet hair on his towel this morning but TED
can't tell which end it came from. One more x-ray will be done prior to
making final decision.

TED says *if* there is a big hairball in the LI, there will be a continuous
effort by the LI to move it through and tissue damage can occur, even
perforation. I asked about maybe giving him one more dose of that strong
hairball medication that was given yesterday, and sending him home to see
what happens.

I keep meaning to ask him "What would you do if this were your own pet?" My
short-term memory is just not there anymore....

What are y'all going to do if he needs surgery? We're purring hard here
(I'm brushing Archer ATM) that he doesn't and passes it on his own.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 17th 11, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default WHOOPS: Does Mickey need surgery?

TED's number is 417-683-6830 - I gave the wrong # in previous post because I
was doing too many things at one time.

Old August 18th 11, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

"Judith Latham" wrote

Purrs being sent that Mickey doesn't need surgery.

I finally remembered to ask TED what he would do if this was his own cat. He
said he would wait one more day, that sometimes the barium drink somehow
helps move the obstruction out, but if there's no change by morning he would
operate.

They hadn't fed him today as of around 3:00 PM but said they were about to
and would call and let me know if he ate. Well no one called, so I guess he
didn't eat. Or maybe they got busy and forgot. I think expecting the kitty
to have a BM after so many days not eating is unrealistic, but who knows...
We will see what happens if anything during the night.

TED did say that the total bill so far - without surgery - is over $300.
Ouch. I don't complain about the cost because the kitty is worth it but it's
just really difficult for us right now. One of the tires on my car literally
blew up back in April (it was time to replace them all), and Dave's car
needed tires around the same time. That, coupled with previous unpaid vet
bills and other debts (dentists, mainly) has kept us from saving in the
meantime.

Old August 18th 11, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Pat" wrote in message
TED's number is 417-683-6830 - I gave the wrong # in previous post because
I was doing too many things at one time.

I called to make a donation. Thanks for the laughs when I dialed the
original number and it wasn't the vet! I hope Mickey gets well soon.

Jill

Old August 18th 11, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote
"Pat" wrote
TED's number is 417-683-6830 - I gave the wrong # in previous post
because I was doing too many things at one time.

I called to make a donation. Thanks for the laughs when I dialed the
original number and it wasn't the vet! I hope Mickey gets well soon.

Thank you!

There's been no change in Mickey's condition as of this morning so he will
be getting surgery shortly. I am worried half to death because he hasn't
eaten anything for nearly a week now!

Old August 18th 11, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/18/2011 10:22 AM, Pat wrote:
wrote
wrote
TED's number is 417-683-6830 - I gave the wrong # in previous post
because I was doing too many things at one time.

I called to make a donation. Thanks for the laughs when I dialed the
original number and it wasn't the vet! I hope Mickey gets well soon.

Thank you!

There's been no change in Mickey's condition as of this morning so he will
be getting surgery shortly. I am worried half to death because he hasn't
eaten anything for nearly a week now!

Have they been giving him an IV? I know from experience that you can
get a lot of nutrients from that without having to eat anything at all.
When I first had my surgery I went for almost 8 weeks with nothing by
mouth but a little water now and then. I had all my "meals" delivered
via IV. But if they haven't been giving him nutrients I would also be
worried about his recovery. Be sure to ask the vet if he'll have to
have a "soft" or "liquid" diet after the surgery so you can get what
you'll need to feed him when he gets home.

Many, many purrs coming for a swift and complete recovery for Mickey.

Old August 18th 11, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

"CatNipped" wrote

Have they been giving him an IV? I know from experience that you can get
a lot of nutrients from that without having to eat anything at all.

No but I think they will start one today.

When I first had my surgery I went for almost 8 weeks with nothing by
mouth but a little water now and then. I had all my "meals" delivered via
IV. But if they haven't been giving him nutrients I would also be worried
about his recovery. Be sure to ask the vet if he'll have to have a "soft"
or "liquid" diet after the surgery so you can get what you'll need to feed
him when he gets home.

We've got lots of meat babyfoods on hand.

Many, many purrs coming for a swift and complete recovery for Mickey.

Many thanks. I made him a quick web page just now:

http://www.kittysafehaven.org/?page_id=43

Old August 18th 11, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/18/2011 11:46 AM, Pat wrote:
wrote

Have they been giving him an IV? I know from experience that you can get
a lot of nutrients from that without having to eat anything at all.

No but I think they will start one today.

When I first had my surgery I went for almost 8 weeks with nothing by
mouth but a little water now and then. I had all my "meals" delivered via
IV. But if they haven't been giving him nutrients I would also be worried
about his recovery. Be sure to ask the vet if he'll have to have a "soft"
or "liquid" diet after the surgery so you can get what you'll need to feed
him when he gets home.

We've got lots of meat babyfoods on hand.

Many, many purrs coming for a swift and complete recovery for Mickey.

Many thanks. I made him a quick web page just now:

http://www.kittysafehaven.org/?page_id=43

BTW, kudos for the gumption and effort it took to set up a non-profit
cat rescue. I know that takes a lot of time and a lot of work, and I
know you guys are "living on the edge", so it's very generous of you to
go the extra mile to help the little lost wons.

Old August 18th 11, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

"Judith Latham" wrote

purrs for all to go well.

Thanks. There's an update posted in topic "Successful Surgery".

Purrs for Mickey Pat[_3_] Cat anecdotes 13 August 16th 11 06:52 PM
Mommy Mickey feeded me Chickum Will in New Haven Cat community 2 October 7th 10 11:13 AM
Pet News Examiner: Mickey Rourke wins Best Actor at Golden Globes andthanks his dogs in acceptance speech CliffB Cat anecdotes 14 January 16th 09 04:06 PM
Surgery Cat health & behaviour 2 December 17th 05 08:27 PM
The curious story of Mickey Ted Davis Cat anecdotes 4 April 13th 05 02:54 PM