"The Russian Blue" book, anyone?

Old January 12th 04, 12:48 AM
moonglow minnow

Tina Laitinen howled at the moon, then scrawled thusly upon the aether:

Cool thanks I am using outlook express. Is there anyother program you
can use? Download for free?

Tina

www.thefreesite.com has several links. Searching google (www.google.com)
for "free newsreader" would probably get you quite a few programs to browse
through as well. I'm personally a fan of Xnews (which has a very nice
single-keystroke killfile) and Forte Free Agent (which doesn't have a
killfile, but is easier to learn how to use than Xnews).

Maeve
--
throw the baby out with the bathwater to reply by e-mail
~*~ http://volatiledreams.deep-ice.com ~*~

You're not right. You just *sound* right.

Old January 12th 04, 01:24 AM
Bob Brenchley.

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:54:48 +0000, Mike Hunt wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:42:53 +0000, in article
, Bob Brenchley.
wrote:

It is easy - Go to the centre of any major city in the world and you
will find an environment that is actually safer for cats than it would
be if they lived in the country. It really is SO easy - all you have
to do is take the blinkers off.

Er no, here in Central London is certainly NOT an environment for a
cat.

I've lost more cats here (well, 3) due to urban hazards e.g. cars,
foxes, toxic substances etc. than I did when I lived in South-East
England (Rye, to be precise) so that statement is pure bull****.

For many years I spent a large part of my time in Central London, and
even just of the main A4 where I stayed there were lots of cats - most
of the growing old with the freedom to roam.

While, theoretically, it is possible for a really hungry fox to attack
a cat, I've never seen a recorded incident and certainly not in
Central London.

During the mid 80s I often used to be going back to the hotel around 4
or 5am, at that time there were a lot of cats out and about. I also
used to volunteer some weekends at Battersea and quite often saw
people reunited with cats that had just "hopped on a bus".

Oh, and you should see the ones that have learnt to wait for the
crossing signs to go green - heard of several of those in London (and
for that matter a couple of other cities.

Let's take Brum. I know someone who helped in resettling several feral
groups when the started to knock the old Bull Ring down - within a
couple of months there were quite a few cats on the building site,
being petted by builders as the demolition and rebuilding went on
around them.

Are cats killed in cities - of course they are. But the risks to the
average cat are quite low, while in the country they are, hard as it
may be for you to believe, a fare bit higher.

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.

Old January 12th 04, 03:03 AM
Tina Laitinen

Bob Brenchley." wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:04:44 GMT, "Nina S."
wrote:

Bob Brenchley. wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:56:45 GMT, "Nina S."
wrote:

If the lazy good-for-nothings who run a large number of US shelters
would actually get off their fat arses and work for the welfare of

the
cats in their care - ALL shelters will be no-kill and ALL shelters
would refuse to home a healthy cat to an indoor only home.

*Sigh* You just don't get it. If all shelters were no-kill, and these

same
shelters refused adoption simply because the cat would be indoors

24/7,
where would the cats be?

Why - in proper indoor/outdoor homes of course.

Hmmm, in the middle of a city? How will the cats enter and exit highrise
apartment buildings?

Cats are not suitable pets for people who live in such building - in
fact very few animals are.

Just call for an elevator? Sure, that will work. Or,
maybe some of the lower income residents could adopt. But, most have

barely
enough money to cloth and feed themselves and their family let alone
ensuring proper care for a cat.

Surely lower income and high-rise go together.

According to you neither of those options
would work, so now the shelters are filled to capacity...and then some
because, once again, according to you, these are not proper homes for a

cat.

True, but then there are plenty of other homes.

So, what becomes of the cats? If they aren't euthanized because of not
enough suitable homes, then they are caged one on top of another.

There are found PROPER homes, ones where they can spend at least some
time most days outside.

Especially city cats? Let me tell you. They would
be in cages living out miserable lives.

No, they would be found proper homes - as they are in other countries.

Where? According to you only residents of the UK can provide suitable

homes.

Whatever gave you that idea? Most countries in the world treat cats as
the should be treated - it is really only in the USA, and to a lesser
extent Canada, where this myth that the cat can be kept indoors 24/7
has grown.

Is that the answer? We send all the homeless cats to the UK?

No - you find them proper homes in your country.

But in many places, the danger is not high,

Maybe where you live but, in my neck of the woods "development" and
"progress" are making those places extremely rare.

Liar. Go to the centre of any major city in the world and you will
find an environment that is actually safer for cats than it would be
if they lived in the country.

Do not call me a liar

I will call you a liar and long as you go on lying.

Prove it. Oh, that's right, you can't.

It is easy - Go to the centre of any major city in the world and you
will find an environment that is actually safer for cats than it would
be if they lived in the country. It really is SO easy - all you have
to do is take the blinkers off.

until you know what you are talking about. How long
have you lived in the States?
Assuming that there are safer areas in the hearts of cities, (which I

do
not
believe for a minute),

Hard luck, facts are facts and you can't argue with them.

Anyone, even a child could argue your "facts".

No dear, facts are facts, and facts always win in the end.

how many of these cats would be able to live there?

As many as people want to live there.

Huh?

Nina

In the hearts of modern cities the car now moves slower than the horse
and cart did at the start of the last century. There is also, now,
more green spaces then there was a hundred years ago. Life in a modern
city can be almost cat heaven as a cat's world is very three
dimensional. No other animal is as well suited to urban life - if
nothing else the thriving feral populations prove that.

Sickness, disease, early death. Is that what you have in mind?

Early death? The average for feral cats in the USA is now considered
to be 7 years. About the same as their wild ancestors. And yet most of
the feral cats live in cities.

Those that get vet care and feeding may live to be 10 or 12 - so it is
hardly that dangerous for them.

True, a cared for indoor/outdoor cat should be able to make at least
15 these days, with many making well over 20. However, you cannot
claim city life is so dangerous for cats because the cats of the world
prove you wrong.

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.

What lesson?

Nina

--
Bob.

A cat without claws is the result of a vet without scruples and an
owner without love.

Troll... Stupid Troll.

Tina

Old January 12th 04, 03:03 AM
Tina Laitinen

"moonglow minnow" wrote in message
.4...
Tina Laitinen howled at the moon, then scrawled thusly upon the aether:

Cool thanks I am using outlook express. Is there anyother program you
can use? Download for free?

Tina

www.thefreesite.com has several links. Searching google (www.google.com)
for "free newsreader" would probably get you quite a few programs to

browse
through as well. I'm personally a fan of Xnews (which has a very nice
single-keystroke killfile) and Forte Free Agent (which doesn't have a
killfile, but is easier to learn how to use than Xnews).

Maeve
--
throw the baby out with the bathwater to reply by e-mail
~*~ http://volatiledreams.deep-ice.com ~*~

You're not right. You just *sound* right.

Thanks I'll take a look.

Tina

Old January 12th 04, 10:32 AM
Bob Brenchley.

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:03:07 GMT, "Tina Laitinen"
wrote:

A cat without claws is the result of a vet without scruples and an
owner without love.

Troll... Stupid Troll.

you are - get treatment for it.

--
Bob.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why you appear bright until
we hear you talk.

Old January 13th 04, 02:27 AM
Chester

"Tina Laitinen" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

"Bob Brenchley." wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:20:39 GMT, "Linda Terrell"
wrote:

Bob.

The difference between ordinary stupid and extraordinary stupid can

be
summed up in one word -- YOU.

With such a creative conversation you could as well get married right

away!

Hans
(and his two indoor cats)

Nah, my cats would never let Benchley in the house.

LT

Do shut up you stupid troll.

--
Bob.

I read your mind, and believe me, it was a short story...

TROLLLLLLLL
TROLLLLLLLLLL IN THE NEWSGROUP
TROOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Just though you'd like to know
(faints)

Tina

Tina,
I caught the Harry Potter reference. Hehehehehe, cute.

--
Chester
http://chester_vaughn.tripod.com/

My psychiatrist said. . .
"Positive results within a year, or your mania back."