Feral Cats & Roof Rats

Old January 17th 04, 06:00 PM
Mary

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
news:vj6Ob.5647$zy3.5343@okepread01...
I am talking about ferals here and this is within a city area.

Call a GD exterminator and try to remove your head from your ass! What
a stupid and dangerous (for cats) idea.

Old January 17th 04, 06:49 PM
Mary

But could a colony of
feral cats (which we do have here in the Phoenix area) be a good form of rat
control if the rats are healthy? I'd like to know your thoughts.

I do humane wildlife control. You must make sure the rats have no food sources
or nesting sites. Secure trash can lids, make sure no one is feeding feral cats
or birds, tell people not to leave pet food outside, make sure they pick up all
dropped fruit, secure fruit trees and vegetable gardens with metal bands and
wire mesh. You need to make sure there are no small holes leading into people's
homes or garages where they can nest. Make sure there are no overgrown outdoor
places where they can nest.

Rats are nocturnal. Owls, cats and opossums hunt at night. They will all kill
rats, so will rat terriers and small dogs like Jack Russells. I think adding
feral cats may cause another problem down the line. Then people will want to
get rid of the cats. My choice would be opossums. Many opossums are trapped for
no reason and taken to local shelters and euthanized. Maybe you can encourage
those people to let you borrow the opossums for rat control? Hopefully people
won't mind the opossums. They carry no diseases, eat roaches, snails, slugs,
mice and rats, do no damage, will not attack pets or humans unless cornered and
provoked, and do not nest in homes. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE POISON. You
will end up poisoning non-target animals like dogs, cats, hawks, owls and
humans. It also ends up in the water supply.

Old January 17th 04, 08:33 PM
Cat Protector

This is in Arizona and in the Phoenix area so we'd have no opossums except
in the zoo. Luckily in the Phoenix area, feral cats are lot more welcome.
They also have a spay/neuter release program in some areas where ferals
live. People aready war warned in the affected areas not to leave any food
source for the rats but this type eats fruits from the citrus trees and can
also hang out in them. Roof Rats chew through wiring in buildings and like
any rat can fit through a hole the size of a quarter. These rats also look
for openings in buildings and will have no problem getting between walls.
The Roof Rats also seem to be able to walk along the electrical lines and
move along the trees without the use of ground travel. Of course one cat in
Glendale, was able to nab one of these pesky critters so think of what a
feral colony could do.

Yes, there is the potential a feral colony could where out its welcome but
one of my suggestions would be to have humans in those area who would care
for the feeding and care of the ferals and also to make sure they were
spayed or neutered. The use of poisons is a given since that can harm other
animals and people.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old January 18th 04, 03:35 AM
MacCandace

Call a GD exterminator and try to remove your head from your ass! What
a stupid and dangerous (for cats) idea.

Well, I don't think CP himself has a roof rat problem; he was just talking
about the area in general having a problem. And calling an exterminator won't
help too much in this instance; maybe they can eradicate them from individual
homes but the problem is now so severe in the Phoenix area that "they" (those
in authority) say the rats will never be fully eradicated, just hopefully kept
under control. The roof rats only got to Phoenix 2 years ago and were
primarily in one section of town called Arcadia where they have an abundance of
citrus trees (used to be citrus groves there). They're yucky, bigger than your
average rat, and like to be up high (hence the name). The area I live in is
right next to the abovementioned Arcadia so I'm assuming we'll be getting them
soon. Our area also has quite a lot of citrus, several of my neighbors do
although we don't (we have a pecan tree, though, and I suppose they would
settle for pecans). It's been on the local news a lot the last few days. They
seem to have spread very quickly since last year. I'll be exceedingly repulsed
and disgusted if we ever get them.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)