Baby earthquake

Old August 3rd 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Baby earthquake

We had a little earthquake in Northern CA tonight around 8PM. I was
sitting at my desk at work when it suddenly felt like one of the
janitors was rolling a cart of heavy concrete blocks down the hall.
It was a 4.4, which isn't major, but is definitely something you can
feel. However, it wasn't that close to here - about 80 miles away,
so that's why it felt so mild to me.

Hey Sandra, Melissa - did either of you feel it?

Joyce
Old August 3rd 06, 07:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
We had a little earthquake in Northern CA tonight around 8PM. I was
sitting at my desk at work when it suddenly felt like one of the
janitors was rolling a cart of heavy concrete blocks down the hall.
It was a 4.4, which isn't major, but is definitely something you can
feel. However, it wasn't that close to here - about 80 miles away,
so that's why it felt so mild to me.

Hey Sandra, Melissa - did either of you feel it?

Joyce

Are you a native Californian? I ask because I am. I live in the Los
Angeles area, and I seldom feel anything under a 4.5 or 4.6. Generally
people from other places seem to feel them more.

Joy

Old August 3rd 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

Are you a native Californian? I ask because I am. I live in the Los
Angeles area, and I seldom feel anything under a 4.5 or 4.6. Generally
people from other places seem to feel them more.

I'm not a native, but in spite of that, I almost never feel earthquakes.
I've lived here for 14 years and have felt maybe 1 or 2 of them prior to
this one. Which is why I got so excited about this one.

Joyce
Old August 3rd 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

Are you a native Californian? I ask because I am. I live in the Los
Angeles area, and I seldom feel anything under a 4.5 or 4.6. Generally
people from other places seem to feel them more.

I'm not a native, but in spite of that, I almost never feel earthquakes.
I've lived here for 14 years and have felt maybe 1 or 2 of them prior to
this one. Which is why I got so excited about this one.

Joyce

It's interesting to see how different people react. A woman in another
newsgroup spent most of her life in California before moving to Las Vegas.
She said she never got used to them, and they always made her very uneasy.
To me, they're just part of living in California, and I take them in stride.
The only one that really bothered me was the Northridge quake in '92. That
was mainly because it was the first large quake I'd experienced when I was
alone, and it was still dark for an hour or two afterward. Also, I had more
things dumped on the floor than I had in the '72 and '73 quakes. One
bookcase tipped over, spilling books in my living room, and a gallon of
apple cider fell off the top of the refrigerator and smashed on the kitchen
floor. OTOH, I had a large glass pitcher sitting on top of a cabinet. The
cabinet walked out 18 inches from the wall, a china vase inside fell over
and broke, but the pitcher stayed put.

Joy

Old August 3rd 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

It's interesting to see how different people react. A woman in another
newsgroup spent most of her life in California before moving to Las Vegas.
She said she never got used to them, and they always made her very uneasy.
To me, they're just part of living in California, and I take them in stride.

The little ones I hear about (and very occasionally, feel) haven't been
scary, so I don't have much fear of them. But I chalk this up to the fact
that I have not as yet experienced a really big, traumatic one. I figure
my attitude will change after that, although I hope it doesn't make me
uneasy and want to leave, as I really love living here. I've always assumed
that if anything makes me leave this area, it'll be that I can't afford to
live here anymore - not the unstable fault lines!

The only one that really bothered me was the Northridge quake in '92.

Well, sure, that one was really frightening. I remember stories of people
getting stuck on pieces of high-up freeway that were left standing after
other parts of it collapsed on either side of them, and having to wait
until a helicopter arrived to rescue them because there was no other way
down. I remember a cop racing along a freeway and suddenly the road in
front of him was just *gone*, but he couldn't stop in time to keep from
driving off the edge. shudder Northridge was to you guys what Loma Prieta
was to the Bay Area (but I won't say "us" because it happened before I
moved here).

The vast majority of earthquakes that happen around here are not of that
level of calamity though, so I'm not bothered by them.

One bookcase tipped over, spilling books in my living room, and a gallon of
apple cider fell off the top of the refrigerator and smashed on the kitchen
floor. OTOH, I had a large glass pitcher sitting on top of a cabinet. The
cabinet walked out 18 inches from the wall, a china vase inside fell over
and broke, but the pitcher stayed put.

The laws of physics are strange, aren't they?

Joyce
Old August 4th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sandy

You mean me? No, I didn't feel this one, but I heard it was felt in Walnut
Creek, which is pretty close to Concord.

Sandy

Old August 4th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sandy wrote:

You mean me? No, I didn't feel this one, but I heard it was felt in Walnut
Creek, which is pretty close to Concord.

Sorry - there's also a Sandra who posts here, so I got confused. Yes,
I did mean you!

JOyce

Baby Chips Dave Gerecke Cat anecdotes 0 March 11th 06 07:15 AM
The Silly Cat Survey Enfilade Cat anecdotes 50 July 17th 05 06:45 PM
Baby Bea Integration Pat Cat anecdotes 1 May 14th 05 10:28 PM
OT Doggy Mama Rescues Abandoned Baby Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 4 May 11th 05 05:53 AM
cat hates baby Karen Chuplis Cat health & behaviour 45 January 6th 05 12:12 AM