The dangers of laptop computing

Old January 14th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Default The dangers of laptop computing

I don't know exactly what the dangers are, but there must be some
horrible, awful, life-threatening dangers that are attached to running a
laptop computer with the computer in your lap.

That's the only reason why I can see that Amelia would be behaving as she
is. I can be sitting in my favorite chair in the living reading, or
watching tv, or just sitting quietly, and Amelia will be content to sit on
the futon or on Nancy's big red chair. But the moment I put the Mac
Powerbook on my lap, Amelia absolutely MUST climb into my lap. If I leave
it on the little rolling computer table and use it there, everything is
fine. But the moment the computer lands in my lap, Amelia will there too
within a matter of seconds.

Once she gets in my lap she proceeds to stand on the keyboard. It doesn't
matter how awkward it is for her, the keyboard is the only place that will
do. I attempt to remove Amelia from the keyboard, then put the computer
down, then Amelia settles down in my lap for a nice, long snuggle. I guess
the knowledge that she has saved her human from such a horrible danger
allows her to relax and enjoy herself, as she then manages to put out some
Olympic-class purrs.

Does anyone else have kitties that save them from those nasty, dangerous
laptops?

Old January 14th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

I don't know exactly what the dangers are, but there must be some
horrible, awful, life-threatening dangers that are attached to running a
laptop computer with the computer in your lap.

[snip]

Does anyone else have kitties that save them from those nasty, dangerous
laptops?

I don't think the laptop itself is dangerous. I think she simply wants
to keep your lap empty and available, should she at some point decide
she wants to get up there. That may be theoretical, but it's immaterial.
Clearly, your lap belongs to her, and to her alone. Other cats (as well
as inanimate objects, apparently), are not allowed to claim that space.
She might ignore your lap for days or weeks, but if someone/something
else dares to use *her* lap, then she's required to assert her ownership
by dislodging the intruder. And then sleeping there, to prove the point.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old January 14th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

I don't think the laptop itself is dangerous. I think she simply wants
to keep your lap empty and available, should she at some point decide
she wants to get up there. That may be theoretical, but it's immaterial.
Clearly, your lap belongs to her, and to her alone. Other cats (as well
as inanimate objects, apparently), are not allowed to claim that space.
She might ignore your lap for days or weeks, but if someone/something
else dares to use *her* lap, then she's required to assert her ownership
by dislodging the intruder. And then sleeping there, to prove the point.

Joyce

That could well be true. In fact, recent events suggest it is.

I'm accustomed to doing lap snuggles with the kitties. At various times
Amelia, Harri, Ranger, and Sammy will hop up for a snuggle. But in the
last couple weeks I've been treated to duet snuggles. Sometimes while
Harri is taking an arm nap Amelia will hop up and stretch out across my
knees. Or Amelia or Harri will be in my lap and Ranger will step across
from the arm of the futon. Whichever kitty was there first will glare at
the interloper and arrange their position so they don't have to see the
other kitty, but they both hang around for a while.

Old January 14th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

I'm accustomed to doing lap snuggles with the kitties. At various times
Amelia, Harri, Ranger, and Sammy will hop up for a snuggle. But in the
last couple weeks I've been treated to duet snuggles. Sometimes while
Harri is taking an arm nap Amelia will hop up and stretch out across my
knees. Or Amelia or Harri will be in my lap and Ranger will step across
from the arm of the futon. Whichever kitty was there first will glare at
the interloper and arrange their position so they don't have to see the
other kitty, but they both hang around for a while.

Nobody can ignore you quite as aggressively as a cat can.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old January 14th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

Does anyone else have kitties that save them from those nasty, dangerous
laptops?

My laptop has a remote monitor, keyboard and mouse, so I rarely put it
on my lap at home. So Cinder sits on it to make sure it behaves while I
work. (She was doing her job in her picture, you see.)

Deborah
owned by the Gang of Eight
Old January 14th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Hihi diz iz O. T. anna da gramby uzez her laptop for workz stuff. Her ken
sit in da big chairz and haz it on her lap. Me an Willow iz fraid of it so
we haz to protack herself. Sometimez her fallz asleepz and dat fing jumpz
off her lap anna lans on us. Den we smack itself and diz wakes up da
gramby. You have ta protect deese hoomanz from demselvez.
news

Old January 15th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Hihi diz iz O. T. Anna u guyz kno what elze, da laptopz da gramby haz talkz
to ya. I stepped on itself on da kouch anna it said, well, I don't kno bout
numberz but ir read what waz on da page. Ken u belief dat gramby laffed at
me kauze I jumped offof it den turnedz roun and smaked it, like Piglet smakz
myown head so much of da timez. I wonnder if da growliie monsterz dat eats
furrz would eat diz fingie.
"Charleen Welton" wrote in message
This thread is sooooo neat! What fun to read.
--
Charleen
Aggie Marble, Victor Velcro

Old January 15th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Does anyone else have kitties that save them from those nasty,
dangerous laptops?

What a good girl Amelia is! Saving her daddy from the evil laptop laptop
(as opposed to the desktop laptop).

Mine are not so worried about my laptop, but then I always have it on
the desk and not in my lap. When Caliban was younger, though, he would
keep watch beside it on the desk with his paw on the delete button, just
in case it started acting up.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/14187...58511339TeAtuJ

Old January 16th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
[...]

lol!

Well, I have a laptop, but apparently I have never figured out that it
is called a "laptop" because it can go in your lap. I use mine pretty
much soley on a desk. Of course, when I had it downstairs, Wolfie liked
to sit on my lap while I was working *on* the laptop -- does that count?

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com