Hurricane Sandy checking in

Old October 30th 12, 01:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann791

Default Hurricane Sandy checking in

We are okay. We were lucky and still have our power on. I didn't see any
damage around on my way to our store. This is about a 10 minute trip
across town. We did get strong wind and some heavy rain.

The hardest hit areas in Connecticut are along the shore.

Ann
Old October 30th 12, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"ann791" wrote in message
We are okay. We were lucky and still have our power on. I didn't see any
damage around on my way to our store. This is about a 10 minute trip
across town. We did get strong wind and some heavy rain.

The hardest hit areas in Connecticut are along the shore.

Ann

Good the hear

..I just got back from West Virginia late last night. We left just as the
Blizzard hit that area was not supposed to hit till last night. It was fun
to say the least coming down the mountains sideways at 80mph side ways on
icy roads with 65-80mpg gusting winds in a Florida 4 banger rental car in
low gear. We left just in time the area we were at is already no power and
3-5ft of snow on the ground. We would have been stuck to say the least

Old October 30th 12, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Despite all the dire warnings Sandy didn't amount to anything here.
Very little wind, only 2 1/2 inches of rain and power stayed on. I was
prepared - Freezer was on, Fridge was set at the coldest, generator was
full of gas as was my car and all batteries were fully charged. We were
lucky.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 30th 12, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

ann791 wrote:
We are okay. We were lucky and still have our power on. I didn't see any
damage around on my way to our store. This is about a 10 minute trip
across town. We did get strong wind and some heavy rain.

The hardest hit areas in Connecticut are along the shore.

Ann

Well, of course Arizona is well out of the way of the storm itself, but
apparently the same cannot be said of our cable TV connections. (Quite
apart from off-air periods and loss of sound on a number of favorite
channels, I was startled to hear the characters on one of my favorite
series reruns on TNT suddenly speaking in Spanish - evidently all due to
malfunctions in the satellite feeds.) With catastrophic storms like
Sandy becoming common events, how can anyone with a brain deny the
reality of "climate change"?
Old October 30th 12, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

---MIKE--- wrote:

Despite all the dire warnings Sandy didn't amount to anything here.
Very little wind, only 2 1/2 inches of rain and power stayed on. I was
prepared - Freezer was on, Fridge was set at the coldest, generator was
full of gas as was my car and all batteries were fully charged. We were
lucky.

I would expect - although my knowledge of weather systems is pretty
limited - that mountainous territory would break up a big storm like
that one.

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44ï¿? 15' N - Elevation 1580')

And you didn't have to worry about flooding, either.

--
Joyce

audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.
Old November 4th 12, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk[_2_]

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 09:30:25 -0400, ann791 wrote:

We are okay. We were lucky and still have our power on. I didn't see any
damage around on my way to our store. This is about a 10 minute trip
across town. We did get strong wind and some heavy rain.

The hardest hit areas in Connecticut are along the shore.

Ann

Sandy was the worst storm I was ever in here in NYC, yet I am pretty
lucky. A tree fell on my car and one would have fallen in my backyard
but it hit the deck and that is holding it up. Not so good for the
deck which shifted a foot to the side and might not be fixable.

Stunningly, the car, a 1991 Honda, escaped with a broken antenna.
Those old Hondas are tough. My neighbors and I used a chain saw and
lots of cutters to dismantle the formerly beautiful Blue Spruce which
hit the car. But the one leaning on the deck is dangerous and I'm
waiting for the tree service to accept my $1000 to take it away. They
can't do it because they have no gas or diesel fuel.

The cats can't go out into the yard because the tree remains a danger
and it brought down some of the fencing that I put up to keep the cats
in the backyard. The whining is nonstop because I can't go to work
since my job is in lower Manhattan, a block from the East River. They
assume that if I'm home they can go out and don't understand my
reticence to open the door for them.

Once they get power restored it will be a week before the building is
ready. Luckily I can work from home since I still have power and
internet. And I'll have internet unless the tree falls any further
because the line goes right through it and is stretched about as far
as it can go without snapping. SNAP. No, just kidding.

Lots of people still don't have power and may not for another week. I
went through three days after a storm a few years back and bought a
generator but didn't need it this time. Luck of the draw. A day
without power is sort of fun, but it goes downhill very quickly. And
it's 42F as I write this and heading lower for the next few days. No
power = no heat.

I surf during the summer at Rockaway and what happened there is almost
beyond belief. I knew it was bad when I checked .the Surfline.com
webcam to see the waves and it was down. I live near a college and
around 500 Rockaway residents, including kids, are in the gym. The
local civic association brought over food and candy, since the kids
missed Halloween, but FEMA has actually done a pretty good job.
Everyone had a cot and there was a reasonable supply of food, even cat
and dog food for the refugee animals. But many of the refugees have
nothing to go home to.

The local stray cats seem to have handled it well. Baby and Jet have
been around. I saw Buddy the other day so he is ok. We haven't seen
TUK (the unknown kitty) but he/she is new and tends to disappear for a
few days under normal conditions.

Well that's the report from Queens NY. Nipsy is grooming Marlo, and
Scooter is demanding scritches. I'd best comply.

Dave
Old November 4th 12, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

dgk wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you and your clowder are okay.
--
Adrian
http://community.webshots.com/clowderuk

Checking in Gracecat Cat anecdotes 8 March 23rd 10 09:57 PM
Checking In CatNipped Cat anecdotes 34 July 3rd 06 10:00 PM
Just Checking Adrian Cat anecdotes 1 October 18th 05 08:23 PM
Checking in... M Elizabeth Cat anecdotes 18 September 19th 05 04:55 AM
Checking in... Cwazy Zachy :) Cat health & behaviour 0 September 14th 05 07:16 PM