Shelter cat has nine kittens

Old November 6th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Shelter cat has nine kittens

I was browsing the Helsinki City shelter's web site, and it seems they
found a pregnant homeless kitty who gave birth to *nine* kittens.
There's a picture, but you can't make out much more than a pile of fur
(and one b/w kitten in the foreground who seems to reach out and grab my
heartstrings...)

http://www.hesy.fi/kuvat/aapennut.jpg

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old November 6th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Nov 6, 6:25*am, Marina wrote:
I was browsing the Helsinki City shelter's web site, and it seems they
found a pregnant homeless kitty who gave birth to *nine* kittens.
There's a picture, but you can't make out much more than a pile of fur
(and one b/w kitten in the foreground who seems to reach out and grab my
heartstrings...)

http://www.hesy.fi/kuvat/aapennut.jpg

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

That one grabs at me too. :-(

That's a huge litter. Hope Mom can handle them all and the shelter
can place each one in a forever home.

Sherry
Old November 6th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Marina" wrote in message
I was browsing the Helsinki City shelter's web site, and it seems they
found a pregnant homeless kitty who gave birth to *nine* kittens. There's a
picture, but you can't make out much more than a pile of fur (and one b/w
kitten in the foreground who seems to reach out and grab my
heartstrings...)

http://www.hesy.fi/kuvat/aapennut.jpg

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

OMG, Tribbles!

--
Theresa and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Forever: http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old November 9th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Sherry wrote:

That's a huge litter. Hope Mom can handle them all and the shelter
can place each one in a forever home.

Apparently, one of the kittens died. But there's another cat at the
shelter who only had one kitten, and they transferred three of the big
litter to her, and now they are all apparently doing well. They are
being tube-fed in addition to what they get from their mother(s).
There's a picture of the mother (the real one) in this day's paper. She
is a one-eyed stray that they are calling Karoliina. Looks like my Nikki.

http://www.hs.fi/kaupunki/artikkeli/.../1135240921599

Old November 9th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Nov 8, 11:49*pm, Marina wrote:
Sherry wrote:

That's a huge litter. Hope Mom can handle them all and the shelter
can place each one in a forever home.

Apparently, one of the kittens died. But there's another cat at the
shelter who only had one kitten, and they transferred three of the big
litter to her, and now they are all apparently doing well. They are
being tube-fed in addition to what they get from their mother(s).
There's a picture of the mother (the real one) in this day's paper. She
is a one-eyed stray that they are calling Karoliina. Looks like my Nikki.

http://www.hs.fi/kaupunki/artikkeli/...Karoliina-l%C3...

Aww..she is *pretty*. It's also pretty uplifting to hear that
somewhere in
the world people are going to extreme lengths to save the eight babies
of a stray. The shelters here are so inundated with animals right now
hate to say it, but she probably wouldn't have a chance. Don't know if
it's people moving, the economy, I have no idea. I just know we have
been
giving away free spay/neuter certificates for nine years now, PLUS
neutering
every cat adopteed out, and you'd think
the intake numberswould be *better*, but it is worse. :-(
Sorry for the rant. Thanks for posting that. I *was* really nice to
hear how lucky that little family is.

Sherry
Old November 9th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Sherry wrote:

Aww..she is *pretty*. It's also pretty uplifting to hear that
somewhere in
the world people are going to extreme lengths to save the eight babies
of a stray. The shelters here are so inundated with animals right now
hate to say it, but she probably wouldn't have a chance. Don't know if
it's people moving, the economy, I have no idea. I just know we have
been
giving away free spay/neuter certificates for nine years now, PLUS
neutering
every cat adopteed out, and you'd think
the intake numberswould be *better*, but it is worse. :-(
Sorry for the rant. Thanks for posting that. I *was* really nice to
hear how lucky that little family is.

It must be heart-breaking with that situation. Here in the Helsinki
area, things seem to be pretty good. I've read press releases where the
shelter says they never have enough kittens to meet demand, so all
kittens are truly precious to them. It might be harder to rehome older
cats, but I understand the situation is pretty good for them, too.

Old November 9th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

Sherry wrote:

Aww..she is *pretty*. It's also pretty uplifting to hear that
somewhere in
the world people are going to extreme lengths to save the eight babies
of a stray. The shelters here are so inundated with animals right now
I hate to say it, but she probably wouldn't have a chance.

It must be heart-breaking with that situation. Here in the Helsinki
area, things seem to be pretty good. I've read press releases where the
shelter says they never have enough kittens to meet demand, so all
kittens are truly precious to them. It might be harder to rehome older
cats, but I understand the situation is pretty good for them, too.

Why can't they ship the extra cats to places in the world such as
Helsinki, where there is not only not a population explosion, but in
fact, the supply can't meet the demand? I'm half kidding, half serious.
I'm sure it would be very expensive (although a wealthy organization
like Best Friends could probably afford it), and a bit stressful on
the travelling kitties. Not as stressful as euthanasia, though.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old November 9th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:
Marina wrote:

Sherry wrote:

Aww..she is *pretty*. It's also pretty uplifting to hear that
somewhere in
the world people are going to extreme lengths to save the eight
babies of a stray. The shelters here are so inundated with animals
right now I hate to say it, but she probably wouldn't have a chance.

It must be heart-breaking with that situation. Here in the Helsinki
area, things seem to be pretty good. I've read press releases where
the shelter says they never have enough kittens to meet demand, so
all kittens are truly precious to them. It might be harder to rehome
older cats, but I understand the situation is pretty good for them,
too.

Why can't they ship the extra cats to places in the world such as
Helsinki, where there is not only not a population explosion, but in
fact, the supply can't meet the demand? I'm half kidding, half
serious. I'm sure it would be very expensive (although a wealthy
organization like Best Friends could probably afford it), and a bit
stressful on the travelling kitties. Not as stressful as euthanasia,
though.

Last year some cats were shipped from the UK to the Channel Islands because
there was a shortage there. ISTR it was discussed on this group.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart