Need ideas for cat toys

Old February 26th 09, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
LadyJane

Default Need ideas for cat toys

On Feb 25, 2:24*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
I need something more to give Persia more exercise. *That track ball thing,
maybe? *There's no place to hang dangling toys, except maybe those doorknob
dangling things... hmmm. *I'll look into those.

Any other suggestions for toys to entertain her? *I'm fairly sendentary so I
don't run around the house with fishing poles that dangle feathers or things
like that.

Jill

If you have a dollar store anywhere near, get a package of tiny baby
socks.
Fill with catnip and glue-gun the opening closed. My friend does this
every
year and hands them out to the cats of her friends. Rita still plays
with hers
every so often. Sometimes I pick them up and squish them around to
refresh
the catnip smell.

As for the feather on a stick, who says you have to run around? I lay
on the
couch and dangle the feather end and whip it around, and Rita goes
crazy
trying to catch it. Very little effort on my part, and it doesn't
even disturb
my tv-watching. Yeah, I"m a lazy broad.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old February 26th 09, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

Steve Touchstone wrote in
:

When I was a kid (in the early '60s), I was in the San Diego school
system from the time I was in kindergarten to fourth grade. At the
time we pretty much made an annual field trip to visit the San Diego
Zoo. One of the more memorable sites was watching the alligators being
fed. I can still remember how quick they move when they want to, and
this was forty or more years ago.

I live in the San Francisco area, which has a great set of museums and
zoos, but San Diego is to be envied for perhaps the best selection in the
US. I loved visiting the zoo, animal park, Sea World (bat ray petting is
awesome), and the Air and Space museum.

If you want to go on rides and barf, go to Los Angeles. If you want to
marvel at the wonders of the world, go to San Diego.
Old February 26th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

"CatNipped" wrote in news:70ltlnFdvimuU1
@mid.individual.net:

alligators are definitely a danger

In Slashdot today, a story about attaching magnets to crocs to make them go
away:

http://science.slashdot.org/article..../02/25/1635252

(I remain skeptical.)
Old February 27th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:44:05 +0000 (UTC), ScratchMonkey
wrote:

Steve Touchstone wrote in
:

When I was a kid (in the early '60s), I was in the San Diego school
system from the time I was in kindergarten to fourth grade. At the
time we pretty much made an annual field trip to visit the San Diego
Zoo. One of the more memorable sites was watching the alligators being
fed. I can still remember how quick they move when they want to, and
this was forty or more years ago.

I live in the San Francisco area, which has a great set of museums and
zoos, but San Diego is to be envied for perhaps the best selection in the
US. I loved visiting the zoo, animal park, Sea World (bat ray petting is
awesome), and the Air and Space museum.

If you want to go on rides and barf, go to Los Angeles. If you want to
marvel at the wonders of the world, go to San Diego.

And, if you do decide to visit the zoo, just realize it takes more
than one day, or one week for that matter, to see the sites. Once you
get your fill of the zoo, there's over a dozen museums in the park.
Balboa Park was the site of two or three big world fair type expos.
The legacy of each expo was more buildings and gardens, which now
house different museums
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old February 27th 09, 09:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

ScratchMonkey wrote:

I live in the San Francisco area

You do? Whereabouts? South Bay? (I used to live in Sunnyvale myself.)

San Diego is to be envied for perhaps the best selection in the
US. I loved visiting the zoo, animal park, Sea World (bat ray petting is
awesome), and the Air and Space museum.

If you like to pet bat rays, go to the Monterey Aquarium! Of course,
you have to fight your way to the edge of the pool against hordes of
screaming 5-year-olds, but that's nothing a pair of earplugs can't fix.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old February 27th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

wrote in
:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.994835,-122.329062

San Diego is to be envied for perhaps the best selection in the
US. I loved visiting the zoo, animal park, Sea World (bat ray
petting is awesome), and the Air and Space museum.

If you like to pet bat rays, go to the Monterey Aquarium! Of course,
you have to fight your way to the edge of the pool against hordes of
screaming 5-year-olds, but that's nothing a pair of earplugs can't
fix.

Been there a few times. It's also a great place to visit. As you say, the
screaming brats are a problem, but not directly to me. Rather, they scare
the rays into panicky flight to the far side of the pool, where you can't
enjoy the feel of their velvety skin. The San Diego Seaworld pool was a lot
calmer when I was there and it was no problem getting them to come near.
That may also be due to the San Diego park selling food to feed to them
(small bits of squid), so they have more incentive to come close to the
tourists.
Old February 27th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 26, 7:11*am, LadyJane wrote:
[...]

For the truly sedentary cat owner, there's a toy that looks like a
fishing rod,
you "cast it", then push a button to retract the toy. The cat is
entertained, and the
owner never has to get off her butt. :-)

Sherry
Old February 28th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

A fridge magnet about alligators:

http://store.theonion.com/study-alli...ter-how-drunk-
you-are-magnet-p-623.html

(I just love The Onion! Let all the traditional papers die. In the Internet
Age, The Onion knows how to tell the news!)

Wow!!! All tha toys!! meeee Cat community 2 January 3rd 07 11:32 PM
Ideas for creative mechanized cat toys bslade Cat health & behaviour 3 December 29th 06 08:49 PM
Any Ideas? CatNipped Cat health & behaviour 18 November 14th 06 07:33 PM
Cat Toys kilikini Cat anecdotes 7 August 1st 06 03:20 PM
Fat Cat toys P C Cat anecdotes 10 January 20th 06 12:05 AM