Recieved in my inbox earlier. - another +ve step.

Old February 8th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Recieved in my inbox earlier. - another +ve step.

I have some very exciting news. In an e-mail addressed to the rescue
community, Philadelphia Animal Care and Control Association (“PACCA”)
reports the following:

From the Desk of Susan Cosby,

Director of Operations

Philadelphia Animal Care & Control

February 2, 2006

In December we reached a tremendous milestone of saving more than half
of the entire number of animals that entered our facility. In all of its
history, PACCA has never achieved that level of life saving and we could
not have reached it without your help. You have accepted the healthy,
the ill, the old, the injured and the newborn, truly lives that were
saved because you were there. Even more amazing than this, in a facility
that accepted 756 cats in the month of January, we did not kill a single
cat simply because there was no space. Once again that is a milestone
that had never before been achieved.…

In 2004, a series of articles in the Philadelphia Daily News depicted
PACCA as a “house of horrors.” At the time, almost 9 out of 10 animals
who entered the shelter were killed, arguably one of the worst
lifesaving records in the United States.

In 2005, the City of Philadelphia hired No Kill Solutions to do a
complete assessment of shelter operations and make recommendations to
improve program and service delivery with a goal of creating a No Kill
Philadelphia. By implementing the recommendations of No Kill Solutions,
which included the programs and services identified in the No Kill
Declaration of the United States, and by thoroughly integrating
principles of accountability into shelter operations, in less than one
year, there have been tremendous lifesaving gains. The work is far from
finished, there is obviously a long way to go, and many homeless animals
remain “at risk.” But, at the very least, we can now look optimistically
to the future—a future that promises the homeless animals of
Philadelphia a new beginning, instead of the end of the line.

There is also a larger lesson here. In the 1990s, San Francisco
implemented the programs and services now memorialized in the U.S. No
Kill Declaration and became the first city and county in the United
States to end the killing of healthy dogs and cats. This year, it
expects to save over 80% of all dogs and cats who enter its animal
shelter system. Tompkins County (NY)’s save rate continues in excess of
90% of all impounded animals. It too has enacted the philosophy and
programs outlined in the Declaration. With Philadelphia’s increasing
success using the No Kill Declaration model, there can be no doubt about
the programs and services necessary to save lives. Encourage your
shelter to adopt the U.S. No Kill Declaration
(www.nokilldeclaration.org) today.

Nathan J. Winograd
No Kill Solutions
P.O. Box 74926