Received In My Inbox Today OT, Political, and funny

Old July 19th 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Default Received In My Inbox Today OT, Political, and funny

kirjoitti:
tanadashoes wrote:

DON'T FORGET NEXT SATURDAY!

*As you may already know, it is a sin for a Muslim male to see any woman
other than
his wife naked. He must commit suicide if he does. So next Saturday at 4 PM
Eastern
Time, all American women are asked to walk out of their house completely
naked to
help weed out any neighborhood terrorists. Circling your block for one hour
is recommended
for this anti-terrorist effort. *

Ewww, this is nasty. Don't we have enough bigotry as it is? I really
wish people wouldn't post offensive stuff like this. But if people are
going to post this, then they are officially forfeiting any grounds to
complain when other people post their political opinions. And mine is
that Muslims aren't terrorists any more than any other group of people.
So please stop spreading stupid (and dangerous) stereotypes and attitudes.

Nope, don't find it funny. No sense of humor about it, sorry.

Joyce, annoyed

I felt partly offended by it on behalf of my BF/DP, who's a Moroccan
Muslim living in Finland. He is really sad about the way Muslims are all
"boxed in" as terrorists. After all there are more Muslims in the world
than Christians, and if they're all supposedly terrorists, there
wouldn't be much left of the world by now...

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old July 19th 08, 09:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christine K" wrote in message
kirjoitti:
tanadashoes wrote:

[...]

You're right, of course. I have some Muslim friends too, who are from
India.

I suppose that during the Crusades, Middle Eastern people thought of
Christians as terrorists, even though most were no such thing.

Joy

Old July 19th 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Folks, we have had "jokes" about the Irish, and "Rednecks" for years. They
may not a fair but they are there.

I got this one from four different people and I didn't dwell on the ethnic
part my mind went to all the ladies I knew who, if they took part in such a
thing, would contribute to 0 population growth in the US for he next 10
years.

This group has a thousand good points but when we don't like something it
can go on and on. Pam loves everyone here and would not deliberately offend
anyone. It was, as I have done many times, a spur of the moment thing.
. ..

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jul 18, 6:14 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
wrote in message

tanadashoes wrote:

[...]

Good response, Joyce. I was very disappointed when I saw this (unfunny)
joke, and for the same reasons you listed. Thank you!

MaryL

Strange what we all find "nasty" or "offensive", isn't it? There are
people who
post here who never utter a political or religious opinion who IMHO
are these
two adjectives. Also, IMHO they forfeit their right to *nothing*.
You're just
worked up. I don't have a "plonk", you do. Pull an Evelyn and "plonk".
personally find communication to a complete stranger,
reminding them of their imminent demise from one of the most painful
diseases there is, knowing the ailing one has mostly succeeded in
mental blockage of upcoming happening. Guess it's just my past medical
"career" but guess what? I've actually watched people die of this. But
hey,
rpca "family" can get worked up over whatever floats your boat as long
as
the BKGP isn't p***** off, right?

I can't speak for Joyce, but I was not "all worked up." I left a simple
message, and it *certainly* had nothing to do about reminding anyone about
dying. It takes a very active imagination to connect my short message (or
Joyce's) to that. If anyone is all worked up, it seems to be you. I have
developed great respect for Pam and (through her) for Rob, and that is one
of the reasons why I was surprised and disappointed by the tone of that
"joke." I simply don't think people should be stereotyped and cast into
the role of demons simply because of their background (religion, race,
ethnicity, etc.). Incidentally, I don't have any idea what BKGP means, so
I can't respond to that.

MaryL

Old July 19th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

hopitus wrote:
On Jul 18, 9:29 am, "tanadashoes" wrote:
DON'T FORGET NEXT SATURDAY!

*As you may already know, it is a sin for a Muslim male to see any
woman other than
his wife naked. He must commit suicide if he does. So next Saturday
at 4 PM Eastern
Time, all American women are asked to walk out of their house
completely naked to
help weed out any neighborhood terrorists. Circling your block for
one hour is recommended
for this anti-terrorist effort. *
*All patriotic men are to position themselves in lawn chairs in
front of their house
to prove they are not Muslims, and to demonstrate they think its
okay to see nude
women other than their wife, and to show support for all American
women. Since Islam
also does not approve of alcohol, a cold 6-pack at your side is
further proof of
your anti-Muslim sentiment. *
*The American government appreciates your efforts to root out
terrorists and applauds
your participation in this anti-terrorist activity. God bless America

Um....(hee hee hee) Pam....don't you think, in view of the predominant
age
group of this ng.....that such a patriotic happening just might
generate many
more myocardial infarctions in the lawn chairs than its intended
result?
Maybe this could be overcome by EMT's at the ready beside the 6-
pack....

ROFL! I was just thinking that, since I only have one boob left and I live
in a neighborhood filled with child molesters and rapists, what would
happen? I don't know if I'd turn on the child molesters or turn off the
rapists!

kili

Old July 19th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Granby" wrote in message
Folks, we have had "jokes" about the Irish, and "Rednecks" for years.
They may not a fair but they are there.

Yes, this has happened many times over. Right now, though, Muslims seem to
be the brunt of jokes that simply perpetuate the myth that all are
terrorists. That attitude sometimes carries over to cruel treatment --
buildings that have burned, families denied the right to fly because someone
on an airplane claimed that they "looked" dangerous, etc.
snip
This group has a thousand good points but when we don't like something it
can go on and on. Pam loves everyone here and would not deliberately
offend anyone. It was, as I have done many times, a spur of the moment
thing.

I absolutely agree with this. I think all of us have done something at some
time that has inadvertently offended someone. My objection is more with
those who continue to assert "there's nothing wrong with doing this" after
it has been pointed out. Throughout history, various groups have been the
brunt of jokes that are actually painful -- women, ethnic groups, gays, etc.
Those who are the "subjects" of these jokes often find them very painful,
and that means they are no longer funny. (And I will now try to make this
my last remark on the subject . . . I don't want to turn this into a long
discourse about my own views.)

MaryL

Old July 20th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jul 19, 7:44*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

I absolutely agree with this. *I think all of us have done something at some
time that has inadvertently offended someone. *

A few weeks ago I posted a LOLcat I found funny and MatSav didn't (It
was one about cats looking down from a roof and saying it was true
hoomins don't land on their feet and he didn't find it funny because
he had been called to the scene of a fatal accident involving someone
falling off a ladder). It was completely unintentional on my part

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old July 20th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:

I absolutely agree with this. I think all of us have done something
at some time that has inadvertently offended someone.

A few weeks ago I posted a LOLcat I found funny and MatSav didn't (It
was one about cats looking down from a roof and saying it was true
hoomins don't land on their feet and he didn't find it funny because
he had been called to the scene of a fatal accident involving someone
falling off a ladder). It was completely unintentional on my part

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I think the only person who probably hasn't offended anyone on this group
must be, Polonca, sometimes I think she's too nice to be true.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 20th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jul 20, 9:33*am, "Adrian" wrote:

I think the only person who probably hasn't offended anyone on this group
must be, Polonca, sometimes I think she's too nice to be true.

For some reason I thought Polonca was male!

Old July 20th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Lesley wrote:
On Jul 20, 9:33 am, "Adrian" wrote:

I think the only person who probably hasn't offended anyone on this
group must be, Polonca, sometimes I think she's too nice to be true.

For some reason I thought Polonca was male!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Usenet is a funny thing, someone on another group yesterday thought Flippy
was a male. :-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 20th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jul 20, 12:06*pm, "Adrian" wrote:

Usenet is a funny thing, someone on another group yesterday thought Flippy
was a male. :-)

And you're telling me he isn't :-)

[OT] Political CatNipped Cat anecdotes 1 April 30th 06 06:03 PM
Recieved in my inbox earlier. - another +ve step. Helen Miles Cat anecdotes 0 February 8th 06 01:24 AM
OT More Political Fun from JibJab Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 0 January 20th 05 08:43 PM