dementia in cats

Old November 7th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default More INFO: dementia in cats

Anyone here got any experience with senile dementia in a cat?
Our Ishtar seems to have it. In the last few months, she's
started having spells of meowing at nothing in the middle of
the night - it's not about food and she's not in pain, stroking
her will settle her but she'll just start up again a bit later.
She's frequently been using the hallway floor instead of her
litter tray, but in the last two days it's been *anywhere* -

I knew I'd read an article about this recently! [...] the litter
issues could still be a UTI or something, ask her vet about feline
cognitive dysfunction syndrome (CDS). It affects older cats. The
meowing at nothing in the middle of the night (often loud and all
night long) is definitely one of the symptoms. So is staring at
walls.

Thanks, googling for that leads to a lot of useful information.

The litter tray problem is a lot better now - we'd had a lot of things
happening lately and had forgotten to change it. With a clean tray
she's back to using it. Some of the relevant pages mention fussiness
about the litter tray as part of the syndrome.

She has very mild arthritis but it took a vet to spot it (no visible
signs) and she's not getting treatment for it. Otherwise nothing
showed up the last time we took her for a checkup.

She surprised me last night. I picked her up for a cuddle and she
suddenly climbed on my shoulders and sat up there for a while. She's
never done that before, though her brother Ishmael and son Mingus
liked being shoulder cats. For a thin old frail cat it was amazingly
athletic. It's as if part of the syndrome involves forgetting what
she thinks she can't do. She was a great climber as a kitten.

I think we'll try adding a bit of vitamin E to her food or get some
of that Hills j/d food from the vet as one of those links suggests.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old November 7th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default dementia in cats

"Yowie" wrote in message
Sherry wrote:
On Nov 6, 4:47 am, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
Anyone here got any experience with senile dementia in a cat?

Our Ishtar seems to have it. In the last few months, she's
started having spells of meowing at nothing in the middle of
the night - it's not about food and she's not in pain, stroking
her will settle her but she'll just start up again a bit later.
She's frequently been using the hallway floor instead of her
litter tray, but in the last two days it's been *anywhere* -
yesterday morning it was all over my clothes on the floor in
the bedroom, and I woke up this morning with my feet in a wet
patch at the foot of the bed and a collection of turds beside me.

She still manages to keep herself clean and is reasonably mobile
though quite thin. She's 16. Doesn't go outside any more and
spends most of the day sleeping.

I really hate to mention this to you, but Cherokee did the meowing in
the
middle of the night at nothing *and* peeing inappropriately when his
kidneys
started to fail at age 17. He also started to hide, like go into
closets or under
the bed in the daytime. The vet said all the meowing was just his way
of
"communicating" that he didn't feel well.

So did Shmogg when his kidneys were packing up. Please take Ishtar to the
vet ASAP and have her kidneys and thyroid checked, and have a diabetes
test.

If nothing comes of it, then at least you'll be reassured that her health
is good.

Yowie

I nearly posted about thyroid problems as I understand it can make them cry
out at night and get thin. It could fit the symptoms, although it could be
other things. A visit to the vet would definitely be in order here as it
might be something that can be treated.
Elderly cats can be expensive at the vets. KFC has cost me a fortune in the
last couple of years, but while she can be kept going along and she is
cheerful and bright I'm (sort of) happy to pay what seems a good proportion
of my salary into my vet's bank account.
I could not live with myself if I didn't do *everything* medically for her
now she is so old and has health problems that can be sorted.
On December 1 (our joint birthday I decided) she will be 23. I think.
Maybe 22, I've lost track. She's an old lady anyway and I have addressed
her old age health problems by taking her to TED, and I suggest you do the
same, Jack. Don't be afraid about it, if that's what's stopping you, in
case they suggest RB. They won't.

Tweed

Old November 7th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

KFC was really smart to choose such a good meow-my. And Boyfie is very
lucky that she allowed him to join her family! ;

I agree that a vet visit is indicated.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 7th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
Anyone here got any experience with senile dementia in a cat?

Our Ishtar seems to have it. In the last few months, she's
started having spells of meowing at nothing in the middle of
the night - it's not about food and she's not in pain, stroking
her will settle her but she'll just start up again a bit later.
She's frequently been using the hallway floor instead of her
litter tray, but in the last two days it's been *anywhere* -
yesterday morning it was all over my clothes on the floor in
the bedroom, and I woke up this morning with my feet in a wet
patch at the foot of the bed and a collection of turds beside me.

I knew I'd read an article about this recently! (Unfortunately it's in
Cat Fancy magazine's May issue and you have to buy a copy of the magazine
to read the entire article.) While the litter issues could still be a UTI
or something, ask her vet about feline cognitive dysfunction syndrome
(CDS). It affects older cats. The meowing at nothing in the middle of the
night (often loud and all night long) is definitely one of the symptoms.
So is staring at walls.

It is also one of the symptoms of thyroid dysfunction.

When I had the trouble of KFC trying to escape all the time I asked the
vet if he thought she had dementia. He said not. He said that cats do not
get dementia (as we know it) and it was more likely that she had some sort
of infection that caused her to display these symptoms. Sure enough, with a
long-acting antibiotic injection she was cured from her wandering.

Tweed

Old November 8th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message

I think we'll try adding a bit of vitamin E to her food or get some
of that Hills j/d food from the vet as one of those links suggests.

Take her to the vet. Spend some money on her.

Old November 8th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not discounting medical issues, Christina, nor am I suggesting he
shouldn't take Ishtar to the vet. I'm simply pointing out there certainly
IS something called CDS. My dog Sampson was diagnosed with what they called
"doggy dementia" back in the 1990's. He was 16 years old at the time. And
medication definitely helped him. He didn't have a thyroid condition. He
was just old and easily confused. At times he didn't even know who I was so
he'd snap at me thinking I was a stranger. He never did like strangers

I'm very glad KFC isn't suffering from dementia but that doesn't mean Jack's
cat isn't. He needs to take her to a vet and ask specific questions. Cats
definitely do get dimentia.

Jill

Old November 10th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

The "C" in CDS stands for canine. My vet says cats do not get dementia "as
we know it in humans" but that loss of faculties through old age or an
infection that causes a raised temperature can cause them to become confused
which mimics the symptoms of what we think of as dementia.

Did you know that elderly people who get constipated can become confused
through the toxins that are released into the blood? I didn't either, until
I learnt it through my job. I did elderly/childcare work 1989- 2003 when I
switched to childcare only. I hardly believed it myself, but it's true.
Relieve the constipation and the confusion is gone. It's amazing.

There are a lot more reasons for confusion than the easy diagnosis of
dementia.

Tweed

Old November 10th 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

That is incorrect. The "C" stands for Cognitive. I doubt a vet writing for
Cat Fancy Magazine would be writing articles about canine dementia. Here
are a few citations for FELINE CDS:

http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/CDS.html

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/elderly/senility.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...cats_what.html

My vet says cats do not get
dementia

Then your vet is either sadly misinformed or hasn't kept up with the latest
studies. Sorry.

Of course it's more commonly known in canines. That's why I initially said
my dog was given medication for "doggy dementia" back in the 1990's. Early
1990's, to be exact. Cats are more difficult to diagnose when it comes to
most everything. Let's face it, they are just plain weird to begin with, in
a good way of course Persia has always yowled at nothing from time to
time. But not for hours at a time as Jack is describing. And when she was
urinating outside her box it was due to a UTI, not dementia. But I
certainly don't discount it as something that can happen to a cat. There
are plenty of citations to back it up.

Jill

Old November 10th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

You've cut most of what I said

Next time I see him I will tell him he is wrong. Is he, though? Do cats
have dementia in the same way as humans do? I don't think they do and he is
right. There is a medical explanation for it. As the vet says.

Tweed

Old November 10th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
The "C" in CDS stands for canine.

That is incorrect. The "C" stands for Cognitive. I doubt a vet
writing for Cat Fancy Magazine would be writing articles about
canine dementia. Here are a few citations for FELINE CDS:

http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/CDS.html

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/elderly/senility.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...cats_what.html

My vet says cats do not get
dementia

Then your vet is either sadly misinformed or hasn't kept up with the
latest studies. Sorry.

You've cut most of what I said

Yes, I did. Because you're talking about constipation in human adults
leading to senility and it has nothing to do with a cat howling all night
long. You're insisting cats don't ever suffer from dementia. And that's
absolutely incorrect.

Next time I see him I will tell him he is wrong. Is he, though? Do
cats have dementia in the same way as humans do? I don't think they
do and he is right. There is a medical explanation for it. As the
vet says.

Who ever said it was the same as senility in humans? Or the same as in
canines? We're not the same creatures. All I did was point Jack in a
direction for FELINE CDS. I gave you reliable citations from an article I
read and then the sites I posted links to.

I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative but you insist it doesn't exist.
I'm sorry but it does. There's a lot of data to back it up.

Jill