dementia in cats

Old November 10th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default More INFO: dementia in cats

Do cats have dementia in the same way as humans do? I don't think they
do and he is right. There is a medical explanation for it. As the vet
says.

Who ever said it was the same as senility in humans? Or the same as in
canines? We're not the same creatures. All I did was point Jack in a
direction for FELINE CDS. I gave you reliable citations from an article
I read and then the sites I posted links to.

The links you get from searching "feline cognitive dysfunction" are pretty
good (including somebody at the local veterinary hospital here; I was very
impressed with them for the way they treated Courtney's hip fracture).

The suggested treatments (antioxidants, omega-3 oils, deprenyl) are all
aimed at the nervous system directly, not at some other physiological
system that might be producing toxic dementia. Which suggests these
people (research vets at state-of-the-art facilities) all think it's a
primary brain disorder.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old November 10th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
[...]

Have you taken her to the vet yet, Jack?
I guess not. Forget about looking on the internet and get your cat to the
vet immediately. I can't understand why you are hesitating.

Old November 10th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
The "C" in CDS stands for canine.

That is incorrect. The "C" stands for Cognitive. I doubt a vet
writing for Cat Fancy Magazine would be writing articles about
canine dementia. Here are a few citations for FELINE CDS:

http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/CDS.html

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/elderly/senility.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...cats_what.html

My vet says cats do not get
dementia

Then your vet is either sadly misinformed or hasn't kept up with the
latest studies. Sorry.

We will have to agree to disagree then, if you think that is so