Need ideas for cat toys

Old February 25th 09, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Need ideas for cat toys

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I'm trying to keep Persia active. Keep in mind there is no PetCo
or PetSmart store within 50 miles of here. I love her but I'm
not driving over 100 miles (to/from) just to buy cat toys. So
I'm shopping online.

She loves the little toy mousies I get from Walgreen's (that's
only 12 miles away and I go there when I also shop for groceries
and seem to buy her mousies all the time). But those mousies
disappear... sometimes they reappear, sometimes they don't. She
loved those crinkly mylar balls I used to get for her at PetCo,
but I had to buy the big ones so they wouldn't get lost under or
behind furniture. I'm forever fishing "mousies" out from under
furniture.

She doesn't like anything battery operated. She was terrified of
that "thing in a bag". She quickly got bored with the laser
pointer.

I need something more to give Persia more exercise. That track
ball thing, maybe? There's no place to hang dangling toys,
except maybe those doorknob dangling things... hmmm. I'll look
into those.

Any other suggestions for toys to entertain her? I'm fairly
sendentary so I don't run around the house with fishing poles
that dangle feathers or things like that.

How dangerous would it be where you live now to let her out? Lie
aside how much it freaks you because it's normal to keep cats in,
can you start to let her out?

Tweed

Uh, no. There are alligators here. They tend to eat small
animals. And sometimes people.

That's scary. Have there ever been any alligators in your yard
chasing you or Persia? I suspect not.
Do you have mountain lions there that will eat her or anything else
that will eat a cat?
If not give her a chance to experience the out.

The alligators are a very real danger. It is unlikely that they would
chase a cat across the yard, but they could easily grab one that came
too close to the water. They can be very quick.

Where my sister lives in Florida, no one lets their cats out that
expects them back. And you cannot leave a dog unattended in the yard
either.

Jill has mentioned that her home is right on a golf course, and it is
very common for alligators to take up residence in the water hazards.
Maybe not ones large enough to drag a grown man underwater. But large
enough to develop a taste for dogs and cats. Also, they don't stay
put. They can and will travel quite a distance, so what was safe last
week or last year could be a hazard now.

(Have lived where you can hear them roar at night)

Jo

Old February 25th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

There are signs all over the island that say "Do Not Feed the Alligators"
because people who first built houses here thought they were cute... until
their pets started disappearing. I've never personally been "chased" by an
alligator but that doesn't mean anything. There are poisonous snakes here,
too. Raccoons that are bigger than she is, large hawks and owls that hunt
for small prey such as cats. I don't think I'll take the chance with
letting Persia run around outside, thanks.

Jill

Old February 25th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message
news

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, the alligators love the water hazards on the golf course. The 11th
green is in my back yard. There isn't a water hazard there, just a couple
of sand traps. But this is an island, and not a very big one. It's
surrounded by water. There are signs all over the place warning about
alligators. Lots of people thought they were "cute" until their pets
started going missing.

Years ago I was engaged to a guy from Louisiana. He went hunting one year
and had to kill an alligator that got between him and his truck. It *did*
chase him and they move very fast when they want to. He reported the kill
to the wildlife comissioner (they are a protected species, even if they try
to kill you first). The ones animal control catches here are relocated away
from people, and away from pets.

Jill

Old February 25th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Seriously, Tweed, alligators are definitely a danger - they have eaten
uncounted dogs and cats in Florida and regularly have to be rounded up and
destroyed so they won't pose a danger to children and even adults. They can
be very quick moving (or else they wouldn't survive if they could never
catch prey).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 25th 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed. When I used to take Bandit out in the backyard for supervised
visits to the "out", I had to keep one eye on the sky for hawks. A hawk
will swoop down unexpectedly, even in the presence of a human, to snatch up
a small animal for lunch (I'll never forget that "America's Funniest Home
Video" that showed a mouse being grabbed and carried away in front of a boy
and his father - it wasn't very funny to *me*!).

To be fair, it's hard for people in the UK to understand how dangerous it is
in the US for pets to be outside. They don't have the types of predators
that we have here. I think I once started a thread about local predators
and the list of them was in the thirties or forties by the time people
finished listing the ones in their areas of the country.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 25th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Ever try the "poke the stick in and out from under the rug" game with
her? I have never, ever met a cat that wasn't immediately riveted by that.

All you need is a long, smooth stick (I save the rods from old plastic,
horizontal mini-blinds, the thing you twist to make the blinds face up
or down) and a throw rug or blanket, or some item you can run the stick
underneath. The important action is that the cat should see the tip of
the stick (not the end you're holding, but the other end) poking in and
out from under the edge of the rug that's closest to them. Then you
should pull the stick toward you slowly, so that it disappears under
the rug. Drives cats crazy - maybe it looks like a mouse's tail as it
runs for cover? I've made friends with countless stranger cats (from
pet-sitting jobs, visiting friends and meeting their cat for the first
time, etc), just by playing this game with them.

Oh, and it takes very little exertion on your part. (I hear ya on
that one!)

--
Joyce ^..^

Old February 25th 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

The brothers have a trackball and they love it. They each play with it
every day for at least a few minutes and the ball never goes under the
furniture.

Old February 25th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

ScratchMonkey wrote in
:

"jmcquown" wrote in news:70lkdiFblhk4U1
@mid.individual.net:

She doesn't like anything battery operated. She was terrified of
that "thing in a bag". She quickly got bored with the laser pointer.

How does she handle flashing balls?

My most successful toy ever was the Bergan Star Chaser. They make a
version with a regular (non-flashing non-electric) ball called the
Turbo Chaser.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3200132

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753802

Both have a scratch pad in the center that gets a lot of use. Far more
than any other scratcher toy I've deployed. Replacement cardboard pads
are available, as is a replacement ball for when the battery for the
light inside dies.

If you're a light sleeper, don't put this near your bedroom. It will
get used all night long.

The noise does not bother me; it's the sound of my cats having a great
time and it gives me a smile. I get up at 3:50 AM and they play with the
trackball (Turbo chaser) about 3:00 AM. I know they are ok when I hear
the ball whirring around. They play again after dinner (right about
now).

Old February 25th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

In Florida near golf course or any source of water with in 5 miles
alligators are a extreme Real danger. A gator will travel for miles to find
a water source and often end up in peoples pools and in garages. They
actually sell something called a gator fence for gators can actually push
themselves over fences. the gator fence has barbs that snag when they try
to push them selves up and over. Many people that have dogs near water
source do double fences for a determined gator will get in. By my old
house the next door neighborhood had a gator in the pool one dry summer and
a Panther sitting on the porch one winter. I think I told everyone about
the Panther that was perched up on our bay window looking down at the
furballs who all where lined up growling and making a fit separated by a
thin pane of glass. Now at my current place. I see and hear bobcats all
the time. Occasionally see a panther, behind me is a bird reserve has a
family of hawk and a set of bald eagles that finally returned after the 2004
hurricanes. My heart cat Spirit may he RIP was attacked by a hawk when he
was a kitten.

Florida has bobcats, bears, rattle snakes; multiple types, coral snakes,
cotton mouth snakes, Florida panthers aka mountain lions aka cougars,
eagles, hawks, ospreys, gators, salt water crocodiles, bull sharks and a new
threat of giant snakes such as boa constrictors. So in Florida outside pets
are screwed

Wow!!! All tha toys!! meeee Cat community 2 January 3rd 07 11:32 PM
Ideas for creative mechanized cat toys bslade Cat health & behaviour 3 December 29th 06 08:49 PM
Any Ideas? CatNipped Cat health & behaviour 18 November 14th 06 07:33 PM
Cat Toys kilikini Cat anecdotes 7 August 1st 06 03:20 PM
Fat Cat toys P C Cat anecdotes 10 January 20th 06 12:05 AM