Well I found out Phantom's blood work Good and Bad

Old February 27th 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Well I found out Phantom's blood work Good and Bad

Good thing the medication is holding and he can keep the same level for now

Bad thing the tissue growth; I think that is what he said , looks not the
greatest but not extreme. It looks like kidney failure but not in the near
future but It will happen some time in the future. He said I need to be
prepared for it later on.

He is almost 15 I have had him a long time the grouchy PIA thing he is.
I love him dearly though

I am going to talk to the vet when I pick up his new meds to see what I can
do to prolong the inevitable

This is my fear with Rumble being on diazepam it destroys cats liver and
kidneys lucky he out grew his epilepsy and no longer needs it but the
damage was done while on it for 3 years. Finger crossed hoping for the best
for both

Old February 27th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

"Matthew"
Good thing the medication is holding and he can keep the same level for
now

Bad thing the tissue growth; I think that is what he said , looks not the
greatest but not extreme. It looks like kidney failure but not in the
near future but It will happen some time in the future. He said I need to
be prepared for it later on.

He is almost 15 I have had him a long time the grouchy PIA thing he is.
I love him dearly though

I am going to talk to the vet when I pick up his new meds to see what I
can do to prolong the inevitable

This is my fear with Rumble being on diazepam it destroys cats liver and
kidneys lucky he out grew his epilepsy and no longer needs it but the
damage was done while on it for 3 years. Finger crossed hoping for the
best for both

Purrs and prayers sent to you Matthew for Phantom, all your
other kitties and you.
Enjoy each other for a long time.
Love
Kyla and Mosey

Old February 27th 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
Good thing the medication is holding and he can keep the same level for
now

Bad thing the tissue growth; I think that is what he said , looks not the
greatest but not extreme. It looks like kidney failure but not in the
near future but It will happen some time in the future. He said I need to
be prepared for it later on.

He is almost 15 I have had him a long time the grouchy PIA thing he is.
I love him dearly though

I am going to talk to the vet when I pick up his new meds to see what I
can do to prolong the inevitable

This is my fear with Rumble being on diazepam it destroys cats liver and
kidneys lucky he out grew his epilepsy and no longer needs it but the
damage was done while on it for 3 years. Finger crossed hoping for the
best for both

Purrs for you and your dear kitties to have much good time yet.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old February 28th 09, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
Good thing the medication is holding and he can keep the same level for
now

Bad thing the tissue growth; I think that is what he said , looks not the
greatest but not extreme. It looks like kidney failure but not in the
near future but It will happen some time in the future. He said I need to
be prepared for it later on.

He is almost 15 I have had him a long time the grouchy PIA thing he is.
I love him dearly though

I am going to talk to the vet when I pick up his new meds to see what I
can do to prolong the inevitable

This is my fear with Rumble being on diazepam it destroys cats liver and
kidneys lucky he out grew his epilepsy and no longer needs it but the
damage was done while on it for 3 years. Finger crossed hoping for the
best for both

Purrs and crossed fingers for both of your furbabies - and for you.

Joy

Old February 28th 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AlisonT

Purrs for more time.

Old February 28th 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Matthew wrote:

This is my fear with Rumble being on diazepam it destroys cats liver and
kidneys lucky he out grew his epilepsy and no longer needs it but the
damage was done while on it for 3 years. Finger crossed hoping for the best
for both

Miranda's mother, Kira, has epilepsy. My niece has chosen not to
medicate her for it for just this reason. As long as the seizures are
fairly infrequent (I think they're about three months apart now, IIRC.
They've become more frequent, though. It used to be every six months),
she won't be medicating her. It runs in the family, so I've been worried
that Mir might have it too, but she is now over 4 years old and has
never had a seizure, so maybe she doesn't have it.

Purrs for Rumble.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old February 28th 09, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 27, 11:01*pm, Marina wrote:
Matthew wrote:

This is my fear *with Rumble being on diazepam *it destroys cats liver and
kidneys *lucky he out grew his epilepsy and no longer needs it *but the
damage was done while on it for 3 years. *Finger crossed hoping for the best
for both

Miranda's mother, Kira, has epilepsy. My niece has chosen not to
medicate her for it for just this reason. As long as the seizures are
fairly infrequent (I think they're about three months apart now, IIRC.
They've become more frequent, though. It used to be every six months),
she won't be medicating her. It runs in the family, so I've been worried
that Mir might have it too, but she is now over 4 years old and has
never had a seizure, so maybe she doesn't have it.

Purrs for Rumble.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Marina, from what I understand about the disease is that usually
inherited
epilepsy begins before their 5th birthday. I certainly understand your
niece's
hesitation to medicate and I hope the seizures remain infrequent
enough she
wont have to... I have heard recently though that there are new drugs
available
now for dogs and cats that are very effective and less toxic to the
liver. The downside
is, they are very expensive, but it's smething she might look into.
I know veterinary science has come a long way since the 60's when we
medicated
ours with phenobarbitol. Back then we probably didn't even know about
liver damage.
She lived an average lifespan even being medicated daily' IIRC it was
around 11 years.
Her seizures became less infrequent with age. She was about 1 year old
when she
had the first one; my mother freaked out and thought it was rabies!
(Good luck to Rumble, too; hope he has many healthy years ahead)

Sherry
Old February 28th 09, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Thanks Everyone

I pick up the medication later today. I could not make it yesterday lucky
I can order it off line so it is not too expensive after today's pick up
price.

I hope all of them are with me for years to come. Losing Spirit so young
and after such a long battle real hits home and scares the crap out of me
everytime I take one of them to the vet

ng.com...

Old February 28th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Feb 28, 5:23*am, "Matthew"
wrote:
real hits home and scares the crap out of me
everytime I take one of them to the vet

If there;s anyone here who says they enjoy trips to the vet I would be
very surprised. First of all, in our house, there is the strange
ability of 2 cats to completely vanish when the time is nigh- it;s not
the carriers- we had them in the kitchen with the doors off all the
time until our redecoration in October 2007 left us with no space to
leave them out and in those days they would frequently sleep in the
carriers but somehow they just know today the carriers are to take
them to the TED (The Billy Connolly version of "DIVORCE" rings true to
anyone who has had to contemplate vet visits with a cat). So the
round up starts (I plan to start getting them ready an hour before I
am due to leave and most times it's a mad rush) it goes something like
this: (well this was the last annual check up anyway)

1. Open carrier
2. Turn flat upside down looking for cats
3. After half an hour stop for a break and have one of them trot into
the living room- groan as it's Dunzi and any attempt to catch her will
lead to her jumping on top of the kitchen cupboards where she can't be
reached,
4. With that in mind, shut kitchen door to cut off her escape route
5. Finally manage to excavate Sarsi from bedroom
6. Sarsi in carrier where she proceeds to utter low growls
7. Corner Dunzi but she bolts past me (Remember last year- the day
after I mentioned making the appointment she tripped me up on the
stairs and I sprained my ankle- I'm a bit cautious around her) but
somehow Dave who is now my hero somehow manages to corner her so I am
able to grab her
8. Open carrier door- throw in Dunzi and rugby tackle Sarsi to the
floor as she tries to get out
9. Somehow manage to grab Dunzi as she turns round and tries to get
out in same rugby tackle
10 Close carrier door
11. Swear fluently,consider whether my arms need antiseptic and that
it might look like I self harm if I go out in a short sleeved shirt
12. Leave house
13. Find cab office is not keen on taking cats even in a carrier
probably because Sarsi is giving everyone a 1,000,0000,000 mega watt
glare of feline death- kick myself for not booking one earlier but
decide to get bus
14. Bus to Mile End- Dunzi spends entire journey crying pitifully and
looking very cute as if to beg passers by to save her since it is
obvious I am taking her to a fate worse than death! Glad it's only a
few stops any longer and some concerned animal lover might have tried
to rescue her
15. Bus down to vets see line 14
16. Arrive and wait. Pray a curious small dog doesn't go near the
carrier (Many years ago a dachshund stuck his nose through the carrier
grille while I was trying to ask his owner not to allow him near my
cats she told me he didn't mean any harm- pity no-one told Fugazi (RB)
who took a swipe at his nose that sent him cowering behind his owner(
17 Vet calls you in this is always funny because our vet calls the
animals in by their names so out she comes and asks for "Redunzel and
Sarrasine" and you just know everyone is thinking "What names are
those?" A couple of years back as I was getting up I did hear someone
say to the person next to them something along the lines of "with
names like that you'd expect pedigree cats not common moggies"-
Believe me there is nothing common about my two- they're unique
18 Assure yourself if dear Kylie didn;t want to get scratched she
wouldn't be a vet and that was Dunzi who manages to get away with it
by looking cute enough to make Kylie think she was just scared (yes I
hear an evil snicker from her)- Sarsi gets removed from carrier by
taking top off at which point we discover she has some spider in her
ancestry because she is hanging onto the bottom so much we turn it
upside down and still she hangs on and none of us are mentioning the
pungent smell which means she is chanelling the spirit of Baha's
Odessa
19. Watch as Kylie examines them- My job is to hold Sarsi while Dunzi
gets done. I note Sarsi is taking notes
20. Dunzi is returned to carrier - Sarsi passed to Kylie- very
carefully when she was a kitten she managed to wiggle loose and did a
pretty good defiant last stand from one of the cupboards and made the
clinic overrun
21. Sarsi is returned to carrier- Kylie pronounces both healthy as far
as she can see without blood results whilst we both consider the joy
of sticking plasters
22. Repeat steps 14-15
23. Arrive home open carrier- both of them bolt out to hiding places
and proceed to ignore us all the rest of the day even when ham is
proferred (I leave it in their bowl and it vanishes eventually
although both of them will swear (loudly) it wasn't ME that ate it it
must have been HER)
24. Amazingly when the results come back all clear I forget all the
above-I even make a note to book for next year

Because at the end of the day the one thing no-one wants to hear is
bad news and whenever you take a cat to the vet (or youself to the
doctor for that matter) there's always an element of you might find
something you really didn't want to know about

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs