Gentle, Docile, Calm Breed (s)?

Old December 8th 04, 04:27 PM
Slimpickins

Default Gentle, Docile, Calm Breed (s)?

Hello,

I haven't posted here in years, but when I did, it was usually seeking good
advice ( and I certainly got lots) regarding my dear elderly cat, Blue. I'm
very sad to say that Blue died just several weeks ago, on Nov. 20th-04, of a
massive stroke, which was due to his recent health spiral (related to his
very recent cardio-mylopathy-SP-diagnosis). He was 19 1/2 yrs old.

I am still grieving greatly for him, as he was like my child, my 'perpetual
baby' and I loved and bonded with him like no other animal I've ever had. He
truly was very special. He was so easy to love! He never scratched or bit
me, or growled at me over the whole duration of his life. He was as docile
as a lamb and also seemed to know instinctively which plants/ grass was safe
to eat outside in my lg. privacy fenced backyard.

Even as a kitten, when I told him, "No", maybe just one other time would I
have to say it, and he would immediately 'got it' and not keep going back,
etc. He never showed any desire to 'stalk' and/or kill a bird, or
squirrel, or any other living creature, short of maybe a lizard or mole when
he was very young.

Eventually, I would like to get/ buy? another docile and calm, observant and
sweet, easy to train and Beautiful, white, medium-haired "flame point' just
like Blue was. He also had big, beautiful blue eyes. I'd gotten him as a
baby kitten for free, how lucky I was! And I was told that he had part
Siamese in him.

My question to all in the group is: Does Blue's special and sweet docile
personality sound like a Siamese cat? Would I then be looking for a Flame
point white, medium-haired Siamese kitten? Or am I simply 'dreaming' to find
another sweet, very docile, obedient, and social kitten like Blue was?

I realize that genes do play a big part in a cat's personality and in his or
her's passiveness. But based on what I've described as Blues personality and
behavior (he wasn't a huge 'talker' but he could be very vocal and
expressive when he wanted to let me know something, which I loved. He also '
chirped' occasionally), does he sound like most flame point Siamese are?

BTW, if anyone wants to see a photo of him, then please email me, and I'll
be glad to share several photos of him both past and present and on the 4
days before he died. He was such a beautiful boy even when he was old.

I really appreciate all who take the time to respond.

Thanks!

ML

Old December 8th 04, 05:55 PM
ceb

"Slimpickins" wrote in
:

I realize that genes do play a big part in a cat's personality and in
his or her's passiveness. But based on what I've described as Blues
personality and behavior (he wasn't a huge 'talker' but he could be
very vocal and expressive when he wanted to let me know something,
which I loved. He also ' chirped' occasionally), does he sound like
most flame point Siamese are?

I'm so sorry about your boy -- he sounds like a wonderful cat. And it is
so hard to lose these elderly ones, they have been through so much with
you!

I don't know much about Siamese temperament although the cat I had while
growing up was Siamese and my Nickleby was half Siamese (although he was
a tuxedo cat himself). They were both loyal, loving, affectionate cats
though.

I think that the things you are looking for in a cat can be found in any
breed including mixed breeds. Especially if you get a kitten -- just look
for one who is alert but not hyper, and who purrs when you pick him/her
up and tolerates being held for a few minutes without scrambling to get
down. Then you take him/her home and handle him/her a lot. At least
that's what worked with Nickleby.

Adult cats can be a bit trickier, just because most of them aren't
themselves in a shelter or even foster home situation. However, if you
find one that will purr when strangers (such as yourself) pick him/her
up, and clearly likes to be held, then I'm sure they will have those
traits even moreso in their own home environment as their bond with you
develops. Lots of cats who aren't affectionate with strangers will be
affectionate once they bond with you, but it's hard to tell which ones
they are. With my Rosalie, who had been feral and was in a foster home
with lots of cats and who seemed scared of everything, I just had a
feeling that she would become a comfy, affectionate cat given enough time
and a peaceful environment -- and that did indeed turn out to be the
case. I just kind of went on instinct there -- plus, she spoke to me.
Seriously. She chirped whenever I approached her, which she hadn't done
with anyone else. She knew I should become her human!

Good luck in your search. Keep us posted.

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead
Old December 8th 04, 06:10 PM

I am SO sorry to read about Blue's passing. He sounds like a wonderful
kitty-boy who had a long and fulfilling life. *hugs* to you.

About his temperment: I am not familiar with personalities of purebred
cats, only because I volunteer at my local shelter and see the hundreds
of cats who pass through the doors, looking for a home.

I encourage you to visit a shelter (when you're ready) and inquire
about the type of cat you're looking for. Ask to speak to the kennel
staff and/or socializers who work directly with the cats. Catherine has
a good point; many cats are not their true selves because they become
traumatized in those cages. However, when I used to socialize cats you
could see their real personalities come out. That's who you need to
talk to--not just someone behind a desk.

Take your time, and trust your gut. If it doesn't feel right, don't
adopt him/her. You'll know when you meet the right cat. . or when
he/she "chooses" you.

Rene

Old December 8th 04, 06:52 PM
Mary

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I want to add my sympathy for the loss of your Blue, and to say that in my
experience, Rene is right on here. A young adult cat that has been in a good
shelter for a few months, where they socialize the animals and get to know
them, may be a very goodchoice for you. You can get the calm, loving kitty
without going through the kittenhood heebie jeebies that way! Also, if you
choose a cat from a so-called no-kill shelter you may return it there if the
match is not a good one, though I can never imagine doing this.

I know kittens can be trained, but their true temperaments do not
become apparent until later, when they are adults. Your best bet
may be a young adult that is already laid back and loving. Best
of luck to you.

Old December 8th 04, 07:41 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
snip

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Blue sounds like he was a great cat.
As to your question, some breeds have a tendency towards certain behaviors,
but it's always pretty much the luck of the draw with genetics. You can up
the chances of getting certain personality traits (or a certain temperament),
but there's never a 100% guarantee.

When you're ready, you may want to consider adopting a cat old enough to have
a firmly known temperament (over 6 months) from someone who is fostering.
Cats aren't always themselves at shelters, as has been noted, but many
rescues do fostering, so the cat would already be in a house and the foster
person would have a really good idea of the cat's temperament.
Petfinder has a lot of fosters on its site.
http://www.petfinder.com/
Also, don't forget that if you choose a specific breed, there may be a breed
rescue in your area. There ARE purebreds up for adoption.

As to very docile, laid-back, calm, sweet cat breeds, I've never heard of the
siamese [1] being described that way (the longer-haired ones are Balinese,
IIRC). Ragdolls, Maine Coons, and Persians come to mind...but the most laid
back, docile, sweet, completely non-trouble-maker cat I've ever had was a
stray we found on the street. (RIP Tommy-boy, we miss you) The vet thought
he was a Maine Coon mix due to his body type and the fact that he was very,
very big (23 pounds and not fat a bit at his heathiest). But he could have
been anything.
The Ragdoll [2] and Persian [3] come in pointed coat varieties.

[1]From an FAQ...
The Siamese is distinguished by its brilliant blue eyes and its colored
"points" (ears, face, tail, and feet), which provide a striking contrast to
its light-colored body. It is vocal, demanding, lively, and affectionate.

[2] http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/ragdoll-faq.html

[3] AKA Himalayan http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/persian-him.html

Hope this helps.

~kaeli~
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than
standing in a garage makes you a car.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old December 8th 04, 10:44 PM
Slimpickins

Hi Kaeli and everyone,

Thanks for the sharing. I appreciate the responses and interesting comments.

I was talking with a woman today who has a 13 yr old male 'Himalayan and she
practically described Blue! Her cat was the same color a white ( apricot
coloring around the ears and tail) flame point, with medium length, silky
white fur and blue eyes. She said that her cat was always very laid back as
a kitten and still now, and that he was kind of stand off-ish. Blue was the
same way although throughout out his last 8 yrs he was very affectionate.
She joked that she always felt honored when her cat would come up to her.
The way she described this cat it sounded very much like Blue (his markings
and his personality). Soo, does anyone know much about Himalayan kittens/
cats? I had heard that they tended to be hyper..?

Anyway, I'd previously had a bad experience with that breed. My sister had
bought a kitten years ago ( another one we tried to match up with Blue) that
had the worse* personality! I mean that kitten was, dumb with a capital, but
weirdly smart in other ways. I told my sister she was like an austic servant
;-), as the kitten, who she'd appropriately named,'Tass', actually turned
on* our washing machine, at like, 2:00AM waking us up! In retrospect, she
must* have been an in-breed, and eventually my sister found a home for
her..(thank God).

ML

Old December 10th 04, 06:45 AM

With all due respect, I really don't believe that you're stuck on a
"breed". What you're stuck on is the characteristics of a particular
cat that you loved dearly. They're all individuals. Rather than trying
to replace the cat that died with a facsimile, why don't you wait a
while, let yourself grieve sufficiently and then go to a shelter and
fall in love all over agin with a cat who delights you with their own
individual self. Don't you think a cat deserves better than to be an
inferior version of the "absolute very best"? I agree. You need time.
Eventually you'll be able to see the new cat for the unique creature
he/she is and that's when it's time to adopt another cat. Condolences
on your loss.

Old December 10th 04, 08:56 AM
-L.

First, sorry for the loss of your kitty - it's always heart breaking.
Secondly, I have had the best luck with black cats - many are part
Siamese, and I have yet to meet a big black male that isn't a pure
lovebug. That being said, you couldn't pay me enough to buy a
purebred Siamese - way too many genetic defects.

My advice would be to go to the shelter and pick out a Siamese-wannabe
or another sweet kitten that will allow you to hold him in your arms
like a baby and stroke his tummy. I have used this method for
selecting kittens for years, and have never been disappointed.
best of luck,

-L.